Ok to run two different batteries, or no? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mwe-maxxowner
Ok to run two different batteries, or no?

Is it okay to have two different batteries in the truck? My truck (in sig) starts a little more slowly than it should. Did it when we had warm weather too, it's not just a cold weather problem. I feel it's the starter getting weak, and I have a new one I need to install. But, I have a nearly new 850cca battery in the '87 truck in my sig. I would like to take this battery out, put it on one side of my psd, and see if that makes any difference. The batteries in it are 844 cca right now, which I know are a bare minimum.

I would like to swap in the new 850 from my '87, see if it helps, then purchase another 850 just like it in a couple weeks to match it. I can take the two batteries currently in the truck, and put them in each of the other trucks in my sig. I feel certain they would be perfectly fine in either of those trucks.

When I put my new starter in, I'm gonna also check all my connections; make sure they are tight, and make sure they aren't corroded and the wires aren't going bad at the terminal.

99 F250 7.3(engine stamped june of '99) 250K white ex cab lb, 2wd
jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
-bullydog egt, autometer boost
-f5 chip w/80t, 80e, 60t, 100, 140 extreme(140 is amazing!)
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
No, it's not OK.

The batteries are a set and part of the electrical SYSTEM, including the alternator. Batteries should always be matched for CCA and replaced as a set. If you don't, the weaker battery will drain the other, and place a stress on the alternator. You will be constantly replacing the weaker battery and lowering the life of both at the same time.

Reid
Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Usually not a good idea as OMCUSNR replied but if both batteries are lead acid, same group and close to the same CCA and AH you may be good to go but I always replace them in pairs.
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Switched 10K MOD, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Optima Redtops,Mesa, Arizona
PRDATR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

not a good idea. beware of battery sales. there are manufacturing date stamps on batteries. try not to buy anything that has been sitting around for a long time.
2002 F-250: CREW CAB: SHORT BED: 4X4IESEL: 6SPD MANUAL: ALUMINUM AIR INTAKE: 4" BANKS DOWN PIPE: CUSTOM MADE 5" DUAL EXHAUST IN FRONT OF REAR WHEELS: TS PERFORMANCE 6POSITION 140HP: AUTOMETER GAUGES ON PILLAR AND ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: DUAL FRONT SHOCKS: DUAL STEERING STABILIZER: KYB MONOTUBE SHOCKS AND STEERING STABILIZER: LIFTED 2INCHES: TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT TIRES LT285/75/17 LOAD RANGE E: 17" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS: CUSTOM MADE WHEEL SPACERS: WARN HUBS: POWER SLOT FRONT BRAKE ROTORS: HAWK SD BRAKE PADS UP FRONT: SMOKED CAB LIGHTS: SMOKED TAIL LIGHTS: POLK AUDIO 10" SUBS IN HOMEMADE BOXES: SONY HEAD UNIT AND SPEAKERS: KENWOOD AMP
claw444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I won't try to run the 850 with the batteries that are in there. The newer 850 was only used in the old truck maybe 5 times max before I parked it due to a hellacious exhaust leak that I haven't fixed yet. I've kept a battery maintainer on it the whole time. If I buy another battery exactly like it, okay to run both of them?

jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you buy another 850cca. i would use the good one that you have out of the other truck if it were me.
2002 F-250: CREW CAB: SHORT BED: 4X4IESEL: 6SPD MANUAL: ALUMINUM AIR INTAKE: 4" BANKS DOWN PIPE: CUSTOM MADE 5" DUAL EXHAUST IN FRONT OF REAR WHEELS: TS PERFORMANCE 6POSITION 140HP: AUTOMETER GAUGES ON PILLAR AND ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER: DUAL FRONT SHOCKS: DUAL STEERING STABILIZER: KYB MONOTUBE SHOCKS AND STEERING STABILIZER: LIFTED 2INCHES: TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT TIRES LT285/75/17 LOAD RANGE E: 17" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS: CUSTOM MADE WHEEL SPACERS: WARN HUBS: POWER SLOT FRONT BRAKE ROTORS: HAWK SD BRAKE PADS UP FRONT: SMOKED CAB LIGHTS: SMOKED TAIL LIGHTS: POLK AUDIO 10" SUBS IN HOMEMADE BOXES: SONY HEAD UNIT AND SPEAKERS: KENWOOD AMP
claw444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
Thanks guys. I won't try to run the 850 with the batteries that are in there.
You can if you want, it won't hurt anything.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw444 View Post
if you buy another 850cca. i would use the good one that you have out of the other truck if it were me.
Yep, I think that's definitely what I'm gonna do. Even if it doesn't crank slowly with the new starter in, just for some peace of mind. The other truck isn't driven all that much, and I think one of the batteries in my psd currently would crank that old truck fine, especially if I keep a battery maintainer hooked to it all the time, which I will. And I can put the other old battery from the psd in my mud truck, which is also rarely used, and is in need of a battery.

-tymar intake, no muff
Garrett 38r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.