The Diesel Stop banner

Pep Boy shoes lasted longer twice as long as Hawks LTS brake pads

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  losfinch 
#1 ·
I just changed out my Hawk LTS pads on the front end of my truck and saw just over 41,000 miles on them.:thdown: They worked good while they lasted, but I got more out of a set of Pep Boys ProStop Platinum Severe Duty...they went almost 80,000. The Pepboy Platinums seemed to work fine and were a little cheaper. I don't tow but I do a lot of hard, loaded braking in a very mountainous area so I'd consider my usage as "hard to severe." For all of the hype I thought that I'd get more life out of the Hawks. I've put Motorcraft Sever Duty pads on this time to give them a try on new front Motorcraft rotors. We'll see how they compare.

#2 ·
Make sure the caliper mount bolt slide sleeves are lubed well inside the rubber booted bushings. If those stick it knocks lots of life off pads and promotes rotor distortion.

#4 ·
Yep, I keep them well lubed.

#5 ·
Those Pep Boys pads lasted for 80,000 miles because they are a much harder material, i tried them also and had the same results you did, I had to replace the rotors because the pads ate into them and ruined them, i only run Hawk or ford factory replacements now, and at over 100,000 miles on my 2006 dually i never had to replace or turn the rotors, im on my second set of pads on the 2011 and the rotors are still perfect.

#6 ·
I had to replace the rotors as well after 40K on the Hawk pads due to all of the hairline, micro cracks from overheating (I was told). I'm not sure what made them crack so much or if I had different pads if they would have lasted longer???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.