Poor fuel mileage 2004 F350 6 litre - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poor fuel mileage 2004 F350 6 litre

I have a 2004 Ford f350 6 litre that I recently bought and cant beleive how terrible the fuel mileage is.In the city it is 12.4 avg. miles per gal and 19.0 avg. liters per 100 km. Compared to my freinds that own Dodge deisel's they get around 22 avg mpg and 8.9 avg liters per 100 km. I like the truck and dont really want to sell it, is there any thing I can do at all to get my mpg up to around 20 in the city? I did check on getting a 4 inch exhaust and a different air intake but the shop told me you wont n otice any difference on mileage.I was wondering about a performance chip made by Edge or another one made by them call the milagemax.Can any one help me with this with some thing that works for sure and is proven ?I have aslo heard to change the oil to synthetic.
fordguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

You must be Canadian because those figures are little confusing to me.

My stock 04 DRW empty averages 11.5 to 12.5 MPG city and 13.8 to 15.8 hiway, depending on how I got my foot in it. It is what it is with the availible fuel. By the way I have yet to see an 04 or otherwise Dodge see 22 MPG city, let alone hiway. You might improve that a little bit with a tuner, but your certainly never going to see 20 MPG city.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
It would really help to know more about your truck, and if you are comparing the same things in reference to your friend's Dodge. Post some more info on your truck - tires, lift, mods, cab style - all of it. Where do you drive, how do you drive? Altitude? Grades? Traffic? Idle time? It all plays a part.

There are so many variables involving economy, that there is no single fix. A very real and large part is mental. Driving for economy is as much a head game as anything else. The two biggest things you are dealing with are rolling resistance at slow speed, and drag at high speed.

OMC
Old 04-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello,my truck is a 2004 4x4 f350 6 litre extended cab and everything is stock .Both of my freinds dodges are deisels and are both extended cabs also.One is stock and the other has just a perfomance chip.One is a good friend and the other is a brother in law and both tell me they get over 20 mpg in the city.One lives in the same town that I do so were driving in the same terrain.Just yesterday for example I reset my fuel/mileage guage to zreo then headed 20 mins into down which is pretty much all down hill the way there.The best my mpg said was 13 and b ye the time i got back home it was back to 12.4 avg miles per gal.I dont drive my truck nuts and put my foot into it.After hearing what the dodges are getting and the way fuel prices are going crazy here i have to improve this fuel consumption quick or sell the truck.I am thinking of installing a superchip to see how much that will help.If you can think of any thing else please let me know.Just another example of just how bad it is , for 2 hours of city driving that cost me $35 fuel.

Last edited by fordguy07; 04-27-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gotta compare apples to apples. There are many things guys lie about... one of them is fuel mileage. How much do you trust these guys? How old are the dodges your friends have? are they all 4x4's? do they have all the complicated, mileage sucking EGR crap on them like yours? maybe your egr is coked up and needs a good cleanin'. what kind of transmission is in yours? theirs? if you're burnin' around town in an auto, the TC is never gonna lock and it's just gonna suck down the fuel. i've always had better luck with handshakers in the city as far as economy goes. but really, what kind of fuel mileage would you really expect on a 7000lb truck in a city? overcoming inertia sucks.
'05 F-250 XLT 6.0 auto CC/SB 4x4 ESOF riding on BFG Rugged Trail's. Bone stock 'cept for the Sirius radio and tonneau cover 82k miles. Turbo replaced during previous ownership. HPOP fitting let loose, recall at 75k.
joshb159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy07 View Post
Hello,my truck is a 2004 f350 6 litre extended cab and everything is stock .Both of my freinds dodges are deisels and are both extended cabs also.One is stock and the other has just a perfomance chip.One is a good friend and the other is a brother in law and both tell me they get over 20 mpg in the city.One lives in the same town that I do so were driving in the same terrain.Just yesterday for example I reset my fuel/mileage guage to zreo then headed 20 mins into down which is pretty much all down hill the way there.The best my mpg said was 13 and b ye the time i got back home it was back to 12.4 avg miles per gal.I dont drive my truck nuts and put my put into it.After hearing what the dodges are getting and the way fuel prices are going crazy here i have to improve this fuel consumption quick or sell the truck.I am thinking of installing a superchip to see how much that will help.If you can think of any thing else please let me know.Just another example of just how bad it is , for 2 hours of city driving that cost me $35 fuel.
Is it a dually? If it is, what rear gearing do you have? If you are in traffic mostly, with lots of stop & go, signals, & stuff, a SRW F-350 CC w/ an auto trans and stock 265 tires aired to 65 PSI should see about mid 14's average. On the open highway at 70, the same truck should see about 17. That's high "normal" for a 6.0 w/ an auto trans F-350 3.73 rear.

If you really gotta mod the truck, SCT makes a good programmer, and there are a couple of guys here that have some decent tunes for it. Just remember, though, a programmer is a performance mod, and its designed to use more fuel, not less. It burns it more effeciently, so if you're careful with your foot you might pick up a solid one m/g to 1 1/2 m/g for the cost of about $300. If you get a tuner, you need gauges to go with it, otherwise you stand a good chance of toasting the engine, and it may cause puking/head gasket problems. Your call.

You may be having more problems with your truck than a programmer can fix though. Have you checked the brakes? Aired the tires to max inflation (& are they in good shape)? Have you checked your air filter? How about the fuel filter? Do you have good fuel with no water in it? How's the EGR valve? Any boost problems??

Before you stick a chip/tuner on it, check everything else first. Make sure its in good mechanical shape, and then if you gotta mod, get the gauges to make sure you're getting the performance and protection you need.

OMC

Oh yeah - don't rely on the overhead. It usually reads a bit higher than if you compute it yourself. Always compute full tank refills, and fill to where you can see fuel in the filler neck. That's the ONLY way to accurately track your economy.

Last edited by OMCUSNR; 04-26-2008 at 09:30 PM.
OMCUSNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb159 View Post
Gotta compare apples to apples. There are many things guys lie about... one of them is fuel mileage. How much do you trust these guys? How old are the dodges your friends have? are they all 4x4's? do they have all the complicated, mileage sucking EGR crap on them like yours? maybe your egr is coked up and needs a good cleanin'. what kind of transmission is in yours? theirs? if you're burnin' around town in an auto, the TC is never gonna lock and it's just gonna suck down the fuel. i've always had better luck with handshakers in the city as far as economy goes. but really, what kind of fuel mileage would you really expect on a 7000lb truck in a city? overcoming inertia sucks.
I Guees by the sounds of it I'm getting the kind of fuel mileage that the 2004 F350 6l deisels get.One of my friends 1 ton Dodge is a 2002 4x4 and she claims to get actually 24 mpg in the city.My brother in laws 3/4 ton Dodge is a1997 and it's not a 4x4 so I guees that would explain the better fuel mileage but he is also getting 20 mpg.I was told the Fords ar no t as good on fuel as the Dodges but I wouldn;t of thought there was this much of a difference.My truck was in the shop recently and had it hooked up tp the computor an it showed nothing wronge at all.What is the TC you talk about when you say its never going to lock down?And whats the term handshakers ? ...lol,, is that a standard? I'm from Canada .Is it easy to clean the egr my self? As far as I know the truck seems to have power and runs fine to me.If I'm getting the same kind of fuel mileage like the rest of you that have the same truck as me ( 2004 Ford f350 4x4 6l deisle ext cab ) then guees I will have to just live with it .....One more thing I was wondering, when I'm at a red light or stop sign and want to take off really fast is there supposed to be a lag or kind of a hessitation then it take it takes off? Seems to only do this when I'm at a dead stop.I know its meant for towing and not racing but would nice for it take off exspecially if I put it to the floor at a red light ..lol

Last edited by fordguy07; 04-27-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I Guees by the sounds of it I'm getting the kind of fuel mileage that the 2004 F350 6l deisels get.One of my friends 1 ton Dodge is a 2002 4x4 and she claims to get actually 24 mpg in the city.My brother in laws 3/4 ton Dodge is a1997 and it's not a 4x4 so I guees that would explain the better fuel mileage but he is also getting 20 mpg.I was told the Fords ar no t as good on fuel as the Dodges but I wouldn;t of thought there was this much of a difference.My truck was in the shop recently and had it hooked up tp the computor an it showed nothing wronge at all.What is the TC you talk about when you say its never going to lock down?And whats the term handshakers ? ...lol,, is that a standard? I'm from Canada .Is it easy to clean the egr my self? As far as I know the truck seems to have power and runs fine to me.If I'm getting the same kind of fuel mileage like the rest of you that have the same truck as me ( 2004 Ford f350 4x4 6l deisle ext cab ) then guees I will have to just live with it .....One more thing I was wondering, when I'm at a red light or stop sign and want to take off really fast is there supposed to be a lag or kind of a hessitation then it take it takes off? Seems to only do this when I'm at a dead stop.I know its meant for towing and not racing but would nice for it take off exspecially if I put it to the floor at a red light ..lol
This is just a request, your posts are exceedingly hard to read. You use periods, but don't space correctly, and it looks like one long, run-on sentence. It just takes time to get through it.

Things are beginning to clear up a bit. Both those Dodges do not come with the emissions stuff the 6.0 does. Its that emissions stuff that is robbing some of the economy from the truck. So, it's almost impossible to compare these vehicles.

This post Thinking About MPG by Dave Whitmer is great in considering what you can do with a 8,000# towing machine for economy. Dave is the resident economy guru.

Also, the "turbo lag" is common for the 6.0. When you stomp on it from a dead stop, the computer is telling the engine not to add fuel until the turbo builds boost. This is to keep the truck from smoking - dumping raw fuel in without burning it. Most guys will roll into the throttle, or if its really necessary to punch it hard to enter traffic, will stand on the brake, build boost and then let off the brake to zoom out into harms way.

OMC

Last edited by OMCUSNR; 04-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.
OMCUSNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Is there a way to get rid of all the emissions stuff on my truck?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello,my truck is a 2004 4x4 f350 6 litre extended cab and everything is stock .Both of my freinds dodges are deisels and are both extended cabs also.One is stock and the other has just a perfomance chip.One is a good friend and the other is a brother in law and both tell me they get over 20 mpg in the city.One lives in the same town that I do so were driving in the same terrain.Just yesterday for example I reset my fuel/mileage guage to zreo then headed 20 mins into down which is pretty much all down hill the way there.The best my mpg said was 13 and b ye the time i got back home it was back to 12.4 avg miles per gal.I dont drive my truck nuts and put my foot into it.After hearing what the dodges are getting and the way fuel prices are going crazy here i have to improve this fuel consumption quick or sell the truck.I am thinking of installing a superchip to see how much that will help.If you can think of any thing else please let me know.Just another example of just how bad it is , for 2 hours of city driving that cost me $35 fuel.
I call BS. There is no way they are getting 20 - 24 MPG in town. I can believe 20 MPG on the highway at 65 mph but there is no way they are getting upwards of 24 mpg in the city. Sure, they are going to get a few MPG better, they are 6 cylinders and by the sounds of it they have better gears for it. On top of that, everyone has seen a drop in mileage with the new fuel. Are they just going off the Lie-O-Meter? You need to hand calculate it, especially if the truck is chipped or has a programmer on it. My 01 says I'm getting 27 MPG (it has an edge evolution) but when it is checked by hand it is getting 17, sometimes 18. I reset my tripometer everytime I fill up, I have yet to talk to anyone else that does that, I check my mileage religously, your friends would be disapointed if they actually did that, they are going off feel or the trucks Lie-O-Meter.

Also, do not put a chip or aftermarket programmer (especially Diablo) on your 04, they have headgasket/stud issues, you will uncover those problems immediately if you do that.
2004 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 drw lb 6.0...make believe diesel mechanic toasted it
1997 F350 xlt crew cab 4x4 off rd srw lb 7.3 sold
1978 custom Bronco lifted 460 bb bored .030
lari2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there a way to get rid of all the emissions stuff on my truck?
Not legally. Its a violation of the Federal Clean Air Act to mess with any emission equipment.

As to whether you feel you're above the law or not, thats an ethical question only you can answer.

OMC
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
What is the TC you talk about when you say its never going to lock down?
Torque converter. Part of the automatic transmission.

Quote:
And whats the term handshakers ?
Manual transmission (picture it.....)

If you had the previous engine that ford offered (7.3 Liter diesel) you might see numbers like what they are. I still find some of those numbers pretty high. Maybe there's something being inflated in all the conversions going on, with liters to gallons, km to miles, etc. There are ways to deal with the emission garbage, but as has already been mentioned, it's against the law. That does not stop many people from doing it. It is a rather hefty fine from what I've heard if you do get caught. Your warranty will also most likely be voided for bypassing it. This site does not allow discussion of that kind of stuff, so if you're interested, is your friend. But don't get too excited, you won't pick up 10mpg from doing it. You might see 2.
'05 F-250 XLT 6.0 auto CC/SB 4x4 ESOF riding on BFG Rugged Trail's. Bone stock 'cept for the Sirius radio and tonneau cover 82k miles. Turbo replaced during previous ownership. HPOP fitting let loose, recall at 75k.
joshb159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

[quote=fordguy07;1561022]I Guees by the sounds of it I'm getting the kind of fuel mileage that the 2004 F350 6l deisels get.One of my friends 1 ton Dodge is a 2002 4x4 and she claims to get actually 24 mpg in the city.
Ah hahahah; Yeah, she's getting 24mpg alright and this line________________ is 12"; at least that's what I told my wife Buys a one ton pickup and then complains about fuel milelage Now, hook up to about 10,000# and see which vehicle gets better fuel mileage.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

I changed my driving habits a bit and got it up from 12.4 avg. mpg in the city to 13.4 ..yeee haaaaa,lol.I was just looking under the hood and was noticing where the air comes into the air fliter and it seems to be restricted bye this plastic peice covering most of opening.Would it help if i cut away some of the plastic so more air can get into the air filter?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I was just looking under the hood and was noticing where the air comes into the air fliter and it seems to be restricted bye this plastic peice covering most of opening.Would it help if i cut away some of the plastic so more air can get into the air filter?
No, the stock filtration system provides all the filtered air the engine needs even in a semi-modified condition. Butchering the intake will do you no good unless your trying to lift the heads.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.