Popping noise when slowing down - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Popping noise when slowing down

I own a 2003 6.0 4x4 with 115,000 miles. The problem is when I am slowing down, just before coming to a complete stop, I hear a loud pop from the front end. This is the only time I hear it. I suspect it might be the ball joints. Any help or thoughts?
jleavins13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Popping noise when slowing down

The hubs aren't locked are they? I'm thinking binding, then releasing when slowing down but that may be a long shot, and way to easy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what my 2000 F250 did. The ball joints were bad. The problem went away as soon as the ball joints were replaced. Good luck.

Current Truck -- 2008 Black F350 XLT 4x4, 6.8 V10, CC Long Bed, 4.10 rear, 18" wheels, IBC. Additions: Chrome Step Bars, Chrome door handles, Silver barbed-wire pin stripe, B&W Turnover GN ball
barrelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to agdodge4x4

What do you mean by 'loud'? I ask because i have an 05 that does this popping when slowing down. I have 28,000, so i dont buy the ball joint argument. thats why im curious how 'loud' your pop is.

Texas A&M University
Class of 2002

2005 F-250 4x4 (FX4), Lariat Arizona Beige/Black two-tone, 5 spd Auto, 6.0L.
agdodge4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

my drivers side BJ's were bad @ 29K miles and the passenger side @ 49K

2004/1997 Powerstroke Pics, Ford 9N Tractor,6.0 Bible
dwelch1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure what tranny you have, but I have the torqshift and as I am coming to a complete stop, the tranny will downshift to 1st gear about the time I reach complete stop. This has sort of thump to it that you can feel. You could try coming to a stop in neutral, to eliminate the tranny.

Brian
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Are you sure its not your pintile hitch (stored under the seat)banging around?...( long story).... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hubs appeared unlocked (auto), but I turned them to the locked position, and then back to auto. Since I did that, the popping noise has not happened for the last 3 days. It is possible the hubs were bound up. Thanks.
jleavins13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've noticed something similiar when coming to a stop after it has rained or after I have gone and washed my truck. It may happen 2 maybe 3 times and then seems to stop. Never had any noise like the pop when everything was dry though. Maybe just a coincidence??? Who knows

2001 F-250 SD PSD, Crew Cab
Airaid Stage II cold ait intake, 3 pod A-pillar Isspro white faced gauges (pyro, trans, boost)
Truck has 2" leveling kit with 33" Cooper's and 16.5 wheels,
TestDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.