Power windows work intermittently, why? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power windows work intermittently, why?

My power windows, both sides, started working only intermittently. Sometimes they'll start working at startup and then later stop, sometimes it's just the opposite. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I've checked the 30amp circuit breaker under the hood and it's ok, even replaced it with a 30amp fuse. I also checked the "auto down" relay by swapping it with another, still no help. Every thing else on the truck works, it's just the windows. Any suggestions? I need help! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Jim
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)
Re: Power windows work intermittently, why?

Did you check the switches in both doors?

Sold 2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, OTC, wired keypad, AIC, DRL, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Ford AIS w/ sleeve & Zoodad, ATS housing, 31-row trans cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
jetskier is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

jetskier,
No, didn't chect the door switches. Both door windows act the same so didn't suspect any one switch. Do you think maybe the wiring is routed from one door to the other?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

The wiring goes through the drivers door first before heading over to the passenger side. I'd check out the drivers switch first.

Here's the driver's side window switch for $36.

Sold 2000 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW, PSD, 4R100, MSOF, 3.73 TrueTrac, OTC, wired keypad, AIC, DRL, Gauges, DP F6 Live Tuned, Ford AIS w/ sleeve & Zoodad, ATS housing, 31-row trans cooler, HPX line, Magnaflow & BrakeSmart.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

jetskier,
Not the switch, took it apart and found it's not getting +12v. I suspect it has something to do with the timing control that allows the windows to operate for a few minutes after the key is turned off but I can't find any reference to it. That timing circuit has to be in the loop somewhere. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

The accessory delay relay is in the CJB. Bottom relay, left side. Swap it with the top one (horn relay) and see what happens.

O

02/03 built F350 6L, DRW, 05 Grille , 4" DPPI Exhaust, UltraLites on the A Pillar and Overhead Console, Firestone Bags & Compressor, Hadley Bully Airhorns , 50 Gallon Transfer Flow, Racho 9000's, Leveled 2.5/0, In-Dash PC , XM Commander.
Photos
ozhoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
jetskier,
Not the switch, took it apart and found it's not getting +12v. I suspect it has something to do with the timing control that allows the windows to operate for a few minutes after the key is turned off but I can't find any reference to it. That timing circuit has to be in the loop somewhere. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Ozhoo. Check the Accessory Delay Relay.

The GEM controls the ADR, but I can't imagine that the GEM is causing the problem.

Pull the relay to check for voltage. You might try making a fused jumper to install in place of the relay for testing when it starts acting up if swapping in the horn relay shows no improvement.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

What was the problem? I have a similar one, no power at switch.
renfroeinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I have been running into the same type of issue, sometimes the windows work, sometimes they don't. I'm nervous about lowering them if I'm not close to home. Happened a few times now and eventually they go back up, but I'm not sure why. I've jiggled the fuses, switched them around, same goes with the relays, when it feels like it, it'll go back up. When this happens NONE of the 4 windows work.

Latest was today, took my better half out for the day to do a bunch of door knocking for a campaign she is working on, lowered the drivers window a few inches and there it stayed. Fortunately it was a warm day so no problem. When I got a chance I fiddled with the fuses and relays all day while she was doing her stuff, to no avail other than managing to get it to go down another couple of inches. Came home and fiddled some more, got it to go down another couple of inches and there it stayed. Came in to look at my factory technical cd to see what else it could be, printed out the fuse panel diagrams (I have no owners manual) and went back outside. This whole time (about 15 minutes) I had left the door open with the key on acc. position, pushed the switch and up it went! Not sure if if had anything to do with the key being left on all that time or not.

Just plain weird, wish I could find out what is wrong as its a PITA not being able to depend on them, especially in the -40 winters we get here. If I ever order a brand new truck methinks it'll be with the old fashioned cranks!
'99 F250 PSD CC AUTO, Lariat, 565,000 km's, Raider cap, K&N air filter, spray in liner, stainless grill inserts, and command start for those -40 mornings, no more running out in my briefs to fire her up!

my priceless pic! & CPS removal and HPOP O-ring Howto pics!
Glenstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

A coomon source of problems is in the convolute that runs between the A pillar and the door. Over time, the wires can become brittle and break from the constant flexing.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampyJim View Post
A coomon source of problems is in the convolute that runs between the A pillar and the door. Over time, the wires can become brittle and break from the constant flexing.
I agree, very common, especially on older trucks.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

i have the same problem, if i lock the windows so only the driver controls will control the windows i have no problems (other than being the window up/down guy). would love to solve it, tried switching the driver side control unit with no change.
wheatleycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ditto. Now my drivers side rear door is DEAD. But everything else works fine. Will be looking into the 'B' pillar.

IAFF Local 1496
alramsay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

ck wires going into truck having same issues lots of my wires were broke or cracked going to do some splicing tonight
moto11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to `Jeff` Send a message via Yahoo to `Jeff`
Anyone come across a solution for this? Mine just started tonight... no power at the switch. Circuit breaker is good, swapped the delay relay, wiggled wires in the GEM module... nothing.

Anyone have a schematic for this, or at least know what color the pos feed wire to the switch is?
`Jeff` 99 F250 PSD SC LB 4x4 Auto Lariat (Built 7-98) PMT1 PCM, 4 Pos DP Tuner, Propane, 10K Mod, BTS Transmission & Converter, 4" SS Exhaust Turbo back, Fuel Regulator Shim Kit & Gauge, KCM S.S. HPX, Cold Air PVC/AFEII, Pre-Pump, Tank Mod & Harpooned, CCV Mod, 2005 Headlight Conversion w/HID, 900 watts of Landing Lights, 3" Steel Cowl Hood, 6" Lift, 16 x 10 DC-1 Black w/35" Nitto's, WARN Hubs & Loaded with TOYS! 3/09 - 185,000 - CRACKED PISTON, CRACKED CYLINDER SLEEVE, BROKEN FLEX PLATE... $1045.00 Ford Master Rebuild Kit, $1400 Machine shop invoice for new sleeve, install cam bearings, rebuild heads, about 35 hours of sweat-labor... Having a fresh motor that's quieter than it ever was new.... NOT PRICELESS, $3200! BUT WELL WORTH IT!

AE/FORD ENHANCED - IN THE CHICAGO AREA
`Jeff` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.