Radio stays on....99.5 F250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radio stays on....99.5 F250

It started a week ago. I was on a 3 hour road trip and the battery light started flash while driving. Also the battery volt meter started to slowly drop. Once I reached my destination I tested the batteries and they were low. SO apparently I was running off of the batts. I charged them back up and headed home the next day. Once again driving off the batts. Once in town I I pulled the alternator and had it tested. It failed so I swapped in a new one. Problem solved. Now, one week later I walk outside and the keyless remote won't work and the factory radio is on! No key in the ignition or anything. I used the key to get inside and and the truck starts. I check the guages and no battery light or low volts. I'm stumped. Never seen a radio stay on with the key out of the ignition and the keyless doesn't work. Any input would be most appreciated.
CJBrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Re: Radio stays on....99.5 F250

I had a similar thing happen to me last fall, only I was out duck hunting. The radio would stay on even when i turned off the truck. Turned out that a relay from my car alarm got crushed and it shorted out some part of the trucks computer/brain. The dealer spent 10 hours tearing apart the dash and reseting the computer stuff. I got off lucky and they only charged me $200. I then went to the car alarm place and had them re-hook up the car alarm and cut me a check for the $200 since they didn't properly install the alarm system by placing the relays in a safe location.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yikes....I did briefly short the alternator hot lead when removing the old alternator. But the problem didn't show up till a week later. I wonder if I fried something...Can I reset my computer by disconnecting the batteries for a set amount of time?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Problems getting worse. Now with the key out of the ignition I can turn the radio on a nd the AC. Every now and then I can hear what sounds like a relay switch going on and off. I pulled the fuse panel off trying to locate the sound. If I reach through the small hole on the right side of the fuse panel compartment, I can feel the section that is switching on and off. Could this be the ignition switch causing this or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.