Removing water and sludge from your fuel tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Removing water and sludge from your fuel tank

I know dropping the tank would be the best way to completely remove water and sludge; but has anyone tried/considered using something like the Tempo Oil Boy Fluid Extraction Kit Model No. OB5, or some other vacuum pump, to remove water through the filler port? The link takes you to an article discussing how to use the fluid extractor…but I’m not sure about the “Fuel Polishing” additives. Does anyone know of a reason this wouldn’t work? A vacuum pump and extraction wand through the filler port seems like a no-brainer to me, but then I don’t profess to know much about the inner workings of the fuel tank. Advice…anyone?

P.S. Does anyone know where I can view a fuel tank schematic for a 2003 Excursion?

Thanks, Milton
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: Removing water and sludge from your fuel tank

Milton,

Search the archives for "harpooning". Shows how to get the tank down & the top off. Not hard at all with a floor jack.

Just curious, where are you getting fuel that you think you need to do this? I go through so much fuel it doesn't have time to grow anything in it, and thats with Bio diesel added. If you think you have a problem with fuel you need to find another station.

Reid
Old 03-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reid,
I don’t have anything growing in my tank (at least I’m not aware of anything), but when I drain my HFCM I do get a little water and some debris. I showed my dealership diesel mechanic what I had collected from the HFCM and he said not to worry; that’s what the HFCM is for...there will always be a little water in the tank from condensation. Maybe I’m a little obsessive-compulsive, but it bothers me that it’s there. I’m considering using a vacuum pump and a suction wand through the filler port to routinely check and clean the bottom of the tank where water and gunk would collect. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this or if there was a reason it wouldn’t work or shouldn’t be done. Is there anything that can be damaged by poking around the bottom of your tank with a suction wand inserted through the filler port?
Milton
Old 03-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: outside New Braunfels, TX twixt Gruene and Canyon Lake
My Photos: (1)

One of my great-uncle's, a retired, long haul trucker, told me to always fill up right before an extreme change in temperature. It prevents condensation from forming in the tank.

05 King Ranch F-250, FX4, Super crew with all options, front cow catcher bumper (a complete replacement), rear bumper with sensor cut outs (both match the beige 1/4 panels), shot in liner and Pioneer double din GPS unit with Sirius satellite that mates to the steering wheel controls. Viper 791XV alarm with remote start and turbo timer. Roll top bed cover and Wild Bill's headlight wiring upgrade with hi/low beam. SEIC. KC Back up lights and power outlets in bed and behind middle console controlled by upfitters.
grifscoots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

If it doesn't have a sharp, pointy thing on the end it should work (the tank is made of HDPE). I think its a bit overboard though. I'm not sure how much of the bottom of the tank you will be able to reach. There are a couple of good bends in the filler tube, and if its floppy enough to get down in there, how are you going to control it or track it. Magnet? Otherwise, I think you'll only bea able to reach about 6 sq inches. The tank is about 48" long & 16-18" wide. Also the sender unit & fuel pick up is pretty close to the inlet.

I've got 26k on mine & have been running 5g of bio-d in every tank. The WIF has never come on & the 3 times I've drained the HFCM, I havn't had any water.

Just comes down to personal preferences with our trucks. Thats what makes it a fun place to live!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have had about 10 tanks out and have never found any tracable water or dirt. Most have had small amounts of water when filter is changed. For once the dealer is right that is the job of the filter. It will seperate the water over thousands of gals of fuel but you may never see any in tank. Realize that fuel is being run thru filter many times.

Keeping tank full is a good idea. In cold weather it also matains temp longer & retards gelling along w/condensation.
2011, F250, 4X4 Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, Silver/Grey,6.7ltr, 20"tires, Electronic locking axle, off-road package, rapid htr,nav sys, clearance lights, upfitter switches, bed liner, Lariat package. EXTRAS: M/T 35x12.5x20 tires, Leer 100XL cap, Titan 50 gal tank, Firestone ride rite air bags, Extreme air comp, Air ride wireless controller. Grover air horn.

Truck History:
2005 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
2003 F250 SD, CC, LB, diesel
1999 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
1997 F250 Light duty, extended cab, SB
1997 F150 extended cab, SB (Lemon)
1992 F250 long bed, diesel
1985 F250 long bed, diesel
1982 F250 long bed
1974 F100 long bed
1956 F100
OldFlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

See....this is why I asked the question. I guess I’ll just live with my obsessive-compulsive urge and not act on it. Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.
Milton
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try an AquaSock

I have used AquaSocks in the past with some great results. Simply drop the sock in your tank and it will absorb all the water. Pull the sock out and all the water comes with it. Great product. www.aquasocks.net
stevelastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.