Replaced VSM, fixed some issues, still have door ajar light. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaced VSM, fixed some issues, still have door ajar light.

I had multiple issues on my Excursion. Dorr ajar light always on, electric locks would not work, remote locks would not work, lock keypad would not work, radio stayed on for 15 mins after turn off even after opening door. Dealer said they could not communicate with the VSM and it needed replacing. I replaced it. (No programming yet from dealer) Electric locks now work, keyless remote now works, keypad works, radio powers off like it should. I still have a door ajar light/ interior lights staying on and have spent 3-4 hours taking off door trim, etc to check the 4 doors and hatch switches. They all seem fine. I also did the odometer trick where you can open the doors and see a change on the odometer. I notice that only the front 2 doors show a display change there. I also notice only the front 2 doors trigger my interior lamps and running board lamps. Could it be since installed a new "virgin" VSM I need to have them tell it that it is a 5 door Excursion? I paid $550 for the dealer tech to fumble around and tell me it would be another $500-700 to replace the VSM and maybe the cluster. I assume it will be another $300 if I show up and have replaced the VSM myself. I just hate paying that much money to folks that are so unsure of what they are doing and what will fix the issue. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Replaced VSM, fixed some issues, still have door ajar light.

I'm pretty sure the unit needs to be programmed. Like you said maybe to know its an Excursion, Crew, Extended, etc.....

2002 Black Excursion XLT 6.8L V10 ( Pics) - Timbrens, 2WD Lift Gate Struts, PIE adapter, Cell Phone Harness.
2002 Ford Explorer - Wifey's ride.
1999 Sunline T24 Saturn 25' TT (Pics) - Every option avail at the time.
obonaventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Any Ford Techs that know that for sure?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The same module is used for both the super duty and excursion. I am not sure what state the module comes in out of the box but there is a flag in the module to enable/disable the rear door switches along with a bunch of other parameters. If you decide to take the truck to the dealer make sure you bring the old module with you. It is easier to pull the old configuration from the bad module than it is to input it manually. That may not make sense but it will to the tech.
Racinpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Problem was they could not communicate with the diagnostic system to the original VSM. I know there is info about option, etc that need to be transfered. That is out of the question as it was dead. But, the new module came with a new door code and keyless remote was able to program, radio turned off, etc. Just have my door ajar/ dome light issue and hope it is because of the VSM meeding to be told it is a 5 door, etc.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Thats about what happened to mine. The keyless entry worked and everything else worked except the keypad on the door. In fact they first suspected that the keypad was defective and they replaced that first.

There was no program in the orignal VSM and they had to program it from scratch. All under extended warranty.

2002 Black Excursion XLT 6.8L V10 ( Pics) - Timbrens, 2WD Lift Gate Struts, PIE adapter, Cell Phone Harness.
2002 Ford Explorer - Wifey's ride.
1999 Sunline T24 Saturn 25' TT (Pics) - Every option avail at the time.
obonaventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

It shouldnt be a problem. They can pull the configuration from the Ford service website and input it manually. It just takes a little more time and effort. You should be all set after that.
Racinpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes...it needs to be programmed by a Ford technician. This is what had to be done for mine. They now offer an upgraded version of the original VSM, you may want to ensure you have this one, so your issues don't return!
rhissong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
How hard was it to change your VSM and how much do they run? My keyless entry has stopped working for a couple years now and pretty sure it's the VSM.

How do you know if you get the "new" version?
Lariat, CC, SB, 4x4 Off Road, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 3.73 LS, AIS, Zoodad, Autometer Ultra Lite Boost, Pyro, Trans & Fuel Pressure Gauges, Walker BTM, IC Tube Foil Delete, DR 2" Leveling Kit, BFG A/T 285's, Door Seal Mod, Tranny Magnefine, "Hutch" Mod , Harpooned Tank, 4" rear blocks, ITP Overboost, DP-Tuner F6 No Start, Stock, 60E, 80E & 80T, JW Valvebody, PowerSlot Cryo Rotors w/Hawk LTS pads, Bilstein Shocks, Dieselsite Boots, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Dieselsite 203* T-Stat, Prestone ELC, FRx R/R, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, '08 Diff Cover, MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust

To Do/Wish List: Turbo-Master, Wicked Wheel 2, Adrenaline HPOP
2002F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just a thought. I had the door ajar, dome light issue on my F150 and it turned out to be the door latch/switch. WD 40 and a couple of door open/closes and the problem was solved.
'00 F350 XLT, DRW, CC, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed, combo 90 gallon fuel tank/tool box, Banks Stinger-Plus, 203 T-stat, A-Pillar ISSPRO guages, Hadley Air horn, PowerSlide rear window, AIC, AIS, KCM S.S. HPX Line, Riffraff FRx.
Member # 10965
HorseHauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Strap on the Patience

The VSM is a PAIN to replace. It is on the inside of the firewall, behind the radio. Grab a couple cold ones, and put on the "patience", not an easy task. The VSM is available only through the dealership, and runs about $130. Around the same to program. For another hour or two of labor, they can replace it for you.
rhissong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

VSM Programming Problem

I have the same problem as many others on here, but there is a twist to it. my 02 f350 crew cab diesel had the door ajar light on and interior lights on. I replaced the vsm and it is at the stealership now. they programmed it but they are now saying that its not fixed and he needs to reprogram the instrument cluster. when he trys to do so, he is unable to communicate with the instrument cluster and the programming fails. I did not have the old vsm so he did an as built program on the new one and he says that worked fine. why can he not communicate with the instrument cluster now?? thanks
eddie625 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

door ajar not vsm but instrument cluster

I just went through the whole door ajar light problem. I took the truck to ford told them to program a new vsm. They came back and said that their scanner could not communicate with the computer. I was quite pissed. I then went to the junk yard and got a new instrument cluster from the same year. What do you know... all is fixed!! YAAA.
my symptoms where:
Door ajar light on
No auto headlights
Dome light stuck on
No accessory delay
vsm not bad!!!!
cahall6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.