Ride Quality Difference Between (Same) F350 and F250 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ride Quality Difference Between (Same) F350 and F250

Hi - sorry for the dumb question, but I've never owned a truck before. I'm thinking to buy a 2008 F350 PSD so I can get into RVing. The local dealer has an identical F250 in stock, which he allowed me to test drive (very nice!). Should I expect any noticeable difference in ride quality (or anything else) between it and an (otherwise equivalent) F350? It is uncertain when the dealer will get a comparable F350 on the lot, and so I don't want to wait forever to test drive one.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1
Re: Ride Quality Difference Between (Same) F350 and F250

Not a dumb question,but you don't say how big,or heavy the RV is you will be towing.That's where you need to start,if the truck is going to be primarily used to tow,you need to worry about tow rating differences between the F250,F350. It sounds like you have not bought the RV yet, so I would at least make that descision first.That way you will have bought enough truck to pull the RV. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

When speaking of both trucks with single rear wheels(SRW), I cannot tell the difference with the ride. What matters most in ride comfort to me is tire pressure. Unloaded I run the rears at 60psi, when towing the fifth wheel, I air up to 80psi which stiffens the ride. I still think they are pretty much the same truck like they were in 2004. The previous poster is very correct. You need to select the rv that you intend to buy and tow, that will determine what type of truck you will need. If you are buying a travel trailer, a F-250 will probably be plenty. If you are going with a heavy fifth wheel travel trailer, you may be better served by a 350 or even a dual rear wheel(DRW) 350. You have to know the GVWR of the trailer you choose and it's hitch/pin weight. You cannot go by the manufacturers published unloaded weight. The trailer with the options you choose, full of gear for a week of camping, full propane, 1/2 tank of fresh water can and will weigh quite a bit more than that unloaded weight. Spending time in the great outdoors with the family and a rv is wonderful, but you have to do your homework to make is safe and enjoyable.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
When speaking of both trucks with single rear wheels(SRW), I cannot tell the difference with the ride. What matters most in ride comfort to me is tire pressure. Unloaded I run the rears at 60psi, when towing the fifth wheel, I air up to 80psi which stiffens the ride. I still think they are pretty much the same truck like they were in 2004. The previous poster is very correct. You need to select the rv that you intend to buy and tow, that will determine what type of truck you will need. If you are buying a travel trailer, a F-250 will probably be plenty. If you are going with a heavy fifth wheel travel trailer, you may be better served by a 350 or even a dual rear wheel(DRW) 350. You have to know the GVWR of the trailer you choose and it's hitch/pin weight. You cannot go by the manufacturers published unloaded weight. The trailer with the options you choose, full of gear for a week of camping, full propane, 1/2 tank of fresh water can and will weigh quite a bit more than that unloaded weight. Spending time in the great outdoors with the family and a rv is wonderful, but you have to do your homework to make is safe and enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capt makes a good point about the tire pressure. I have found on two separate occasions that the 350 rode smoother than the 250 unloaded. Then again, I didn't check the tire pressure.
Before you buy, why not test drive both? Difference in price is nil between the two equally equipped.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I plan to get a F350 SRW (not a dually). I've done quite a bit of research on weights and have concluded that the F350 SRW will be sufficient for the 5th wheel I plan to get (NuWa Hitchhiker II LS). The reason for my post is that I am curious how similar the ride of the F350 SRW will be to the (otherwise equivalent) F250 that I have already test driven. Based on Capt Skup's info, it sounds like there won't be much difference.

Thanks again
Gary
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Before you jump be sure of the pin weight on the trailer. There is a difference between the 250 and the 350.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pulled a HUGE weekend warrior 5er all over the place with my '04 F-250.... I just ordered another F-250 to replace it.... I don't tow all the time..... and I didn't want the heavier rear spring pack of the f-250 on my truck..... I did want the 37 spline axle of the f-350.... but I have pulled it just fine with my 35 spine axle for years.... so.... I opted for the 250.... and I am going to add the overload springs to my 250.... and bag it if I need too. My 5er is 10.5K dead empty.... pushing about 16K loaded.
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the few extra bucks, I'd get the F350.

I've never heard anyone say that they are sorry they got the "bigger" truck...but, I know a couple of people who are sorry they got the "smaller" one!!

Get the F350, that way if you decide to tow heavy, you got it. The F250 is limited.
2005 F350 Lariat DRW (traded in on new truck)
2012 F350 Lariat 6.7L SRW SuperCab all the bells and whistles
Purchased thru Bobby Williams, Sunrise Ford, Fontana, CA
Samuel1941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I also pull a large toyhauler with two full size harleys. Your unit does weigh more than mine. My 250 was ordered with a camper package. The question was ride quality and there will be a difference between the two trucks based on pin weight of a 5th wheel. As you know each of us decides what risks they are willing to take. You are overweight on your truck with a 16,000 lb fiver and have made that decision. A new person not use to towing should be aware of the some of the problems he may face. Pin weight is an issue to be considered in my opinion. I love my 250 but its leaving for the 450 because I am moving up in weight on a new hauler. Sorry, If I offended you.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I see you have the Timbrens. Me, too. I love them, about the best dang thing invented for the buck. Easy to install, maintenance free, and boy do they work. No, I didn't buy them to tow the 22klb Teton(but it helps), I got them because of the expansion joints on PA's wonderful concrete highways. I may even get them for the F-450. For me 2004, I found out part for part, save the badges on the fenders and tailgate, and the 2" difference in spacer blocks, the SRW 250 and the SRW 350 are the same truck. Same part number for the axles(and the ring and pinion gear set)leaf spring pack, brakes, everything is the same. I am starting to wonder if the frame is the exact same between the 2008 F-350 dually and the F-450 pickup. I wonder because the mounting kit for the Reese Signature Series hitch have the same part number for the 350 and the 450.
2008 F-450 Lariat Dark Stone Metallic over Pueblo Gold 4x4(manual shift transfer case, manual hubs), High capacity tow 4:88s, Off Road, Camper packages, Sirius Sat, Upfitter switches, DVD entertainment, tailgate step, traction control, Audiophile 6-disc, PTC Supplemental heat and heated seats(warm buns), rear sensors, traction control, tailgate step. Built May 8, delivered May 24
Reese Signature Series 24k fiver hitch, I installed it myself, best hitch I have found yet
Line-X bedliner, heavy duty floor mats
2003 Sunline F281SR(weekend getaways)
Sea Ray 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/C...host=community
CaptSkup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like my timbrens also Capt. In 04 if you got the camper package it was the same as a 350. But I am pretty sure the specs changed the following year. I am not sure about the frame difference on the new 350 & 450's. I am going back to a pullrite for the new hitch, I do like the way it hitches.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

DieselJem.... I totally agree.... I'm just throwing it out there... because I think alot of people don't have a trailer as heavy as mine.... and it is very rare that I have to pull mine fully loaded.....
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not sure as to the difference between 08's. I have an 2005 F250 CC SB SRW with camper package (see sig) and I have driven a 2005 F350 CC LB SRW of the same configuration otherwise. My 250 rides worse (more rough) than the 350 LB. AS I wanted the better ride and extra capacity, I ordered the LB in a 350.

Also note that someone looking for a 250 will generally consider buying the 350 however a buyer looking for a 350 will rarely take a 250.

DLL

1999 F250 XLT X-cab 4X4 V10 SB Bone Stock (sold for Ex)

GM's - won't mention

1993 Mustang GT - 106,000+ Original Owner - Powertrain Bone Stock; Suspension and Electronics only
dleffman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Drive both and see what you like. I'd go for the 350 just because of the added capacity. I believe the price is about $600 more which is very mininal in my opinion for the added capacity. My 350 still needs air bags for the camper and boat though. As stated above, you won't regret getting the 350...there's no difference in ride and I have both on a regular basis.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special 360 V8 4 speed

1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L V6 124K
Stock. Daily Driver

2001 F-350, Ext Cab, LB, XLT, 4X4, 127k
K&N Filter, Walker BTM, Edge Evo
B99 Biodiesel.

2004 F-250 6.0, CC, SB, Lariat, 66k, BFG 285 A/Ts
Stock.

CWU 2010
01F350PSD4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Hi - sorry for the dumb question, but I've never owned a truck before. I'm thinking to buy a 2008 F350 PSD so I can get into RVing. The local dealer has an identical F250 in stock, which he allowed me to test drive (very nice!). Should I expect any noticeable difference in ride quality (or anything else) between it and an (otherwise equivalent) F350? It is uncertain when the dealer will get a comparable F350 on the lot, and so I don't want to wait forever to test drive one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the dealership, and take a look at the rear leaf springs of a 250 and a 350. Both trucks don't need to be the same cab or bed configuration, so long as they both have an overload spring. I don't know if Ford still does it, but I know that at least up until the 2003 model, Ford did not use different spring packs between the 250 & 350. The ONLY difference between 250's & 350's with comparable suspension configurations was that the 250 came with 2" blocks and the 350 came with 4" blocks. GM & Dodge DO use different rear spring packs between their 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

So if Ford is still doing as they have in the past (it saves money to purchase twice as many of the exact same springs from the manufacturer, than half of one type and half of another type), then the only difference is the sticker's load rating. Unless you live in a state that makes pickups pulling trailers hit the scales on the highway, and if you find that Ford still uses the same rear spring pack, then a 250 SRW will suit you as well as a 350 SRW as far as load carrying ability. If that is the case, and if you need/want the truck that's on the lot and waiting doesn't work out too well, a 250 would be fine. Add-on airbags will help both a 350 and a 250 to the same extent, so those are always a nice addition to increase loaded & towing stability.
bandit67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.