rust inside doors and tailgate? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rust inside doors and tailgate?

04 250 i noticed that all my doors are starting to rust at the bottom seam under the weather stripping and the tail gate is also bubbling up and rusting at the bottom seam.Has anyone else come across this and if so what have you done about it?i am still under 35,ooo and have had rust proofing done so i dont think this should be happening so soon. Any input would be apprec.thanks
buckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: rust inside doors and tailgate?

just my own experience ,i had three cars and two had rusty jones rust proofing done to two of them and thoes two rusted and rotted in the bottem of the doors and rear bottem quarters and trunk lid but the other one that did most of the winter driving did not.I guess that y rusty jones is out of business .i found over the years the cars and trucks that i under coated all roted rather quickly.I know now that the moisture gets traped in between the rust proofing /undercoating and dries slower or not at all.if you need to do this make sure that the drain holes do not get blocked by the coating that you use . juat my experience of living in new england for 47 years .this might sound like a hack job but i seen guys spray a heavy oil on the frame in side fenders all under the bed and in side underneath the bed quarters tail gate , just before winter plowing and let me tell you it does work .look at it like two cars one out side all its life and one in side and dry all its life ,what one will you by [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
2002 F350 XCAB D.R.W.auto 4x4 manual lock.P.S.D.3.73 axl(code-VDH2) (BONE STOCK).15 m/gal empty- 12/gal 19,500Lb piller gauges (ISSPRO)pyro,boost,trans temp-under dash cub mount (V.D.O.)oil pr,volt,eng temp.AIS air filter,baldwen spin on trans filter,RACOR INTERCEPTOR kit primary fuel filter (and fuel heater)6.0 transmission cooler,
uloadit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
04 250 i noticed that all my doors are starting to rust at the bottom seam under the weather stripping and the tail gate is also bubbling up and rusting at the bottom seam.Has anyone else come across this and if so what have you done about it?i am still under 35,ooo and have had rust proofing done so i dont think this should be happening so soon. Any input would be apprec.thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a 97 F150 that did the exact same thing on the driver and passenger doors; the tailgate didn't do it though. I think they need to put little drainage "slots" where they weld the inner and outer "skins" of the doors. The water runs down the windows and past the rubber strips at the top of the door letting water into the inside of the door and it just collects down there. I now have a 97 F250HD and it has the "slots" to let the water drain and I have no rusting at the seams. I'm not sure there is a dang thing you can do other than take it to Ford and invoke the 100,000 mile "rust through" warranty.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I noticed the same... I too have a 2004 with less than 15K on it and I have bubbling on the seam of the tailgate and front doors... *** !!! I NEVER had a new car do this. my 1999 toyota has absolutely no issues, I was hoping my Ford would do the same.

I suppose I will take it to the dealership and *****... not sure what that will get me. I also noticed my chrome rear bumper appears "thin" of the chrome coating on the bottom and has a very rough texture and dull finish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] once again, less than 15K miles !
1970 pontiac GTO Judge 47K original miles MINT.
Father was original owner. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
MY RIDES
http://community.webshots.com/user/roofgoof
ROOFGOOF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

The stuff they are using in the winter on the roads seems to be the most corrosive I have ever seen.I think it is the Liquid Calcium that is tearing-Up everybody vehicles. I have also seen 1 year old vehicles rusting on door seams and Underbodys.This should not be happening.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

What kind of rustproofing did you have done? If its the thick undercoating style it can be worse than nothing at all. Here in the winter salt capital of the world there is a product that is of medium consistency and translucent colored that works very well BUT it has to be reapplied every year. It is thin enough that it penetrates into the weld seams and displaces any moisture. The thick stuff will not penetrate the seams, that's where the trouble starts. They drill the normal holes to get into the enclosed spaces and the stuff will drip for a couple days afterwards. That shows it is flowing into the places it needs to be.
04/04 F350 CC Lariat 4X4 short, 6.0, TS, med. Wedgewood Blue/Silver. Med flint, Captains chairs, power slider, dual alts, man. hubs, 3.73 LS, clearance lights, AIC, receiver, moulding, tele. tow mirrors,heated seats,skid plates, camper pack, BFG AT tires, tube steps, and a jack at NO CHARGE! Built 2/3/4 KTP. Velvet rides, Fumoto, noise insulation, MBRP single with the kitty, 2" Donahoe leveling kit, Linex, Extang R/T, AVS hood shield and ventvisors. Original flash with quiet idle and they'd better be well armed if they want to change it.

Plus a bunch of other various means of transport.
Viper700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Buck04,

W.T.F. is right!

This REALLY shocks me since I am intimatly familiar with the paint process that FMC uses to make sure this does NOT occur! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I suggest that you call your dealer and actually make an appointment with the Service Manager instead of just walking in unannounced!

Also carefully review your owners manual on any related subject.

This is unacceptable and certainly hope you are prepared to work towards a cure that will make you happy.

Regards
JR44
2003, F-250, 6.0L PSD, Torqueshift, CrewCab, XLT,FX4,Short Bed, All Black Sport Model, Sunroof, Line-X Bed Liner, AFE Stage1 Pro-Guard 7, DPPI/MBRP T-304 Stainless Turbo-Back Exhaust, complete with CNC machined collar!
Banks Tecni-Cooler, Front,Rear Diff & 5R110 Mag-Hytec Pans, AutoMeter Cobalt Boost,EGT,Trans Gauges on A-Pillar, Bridgestone 285 Revo's, Bilsteins,SSBC V8 BRAKE CALIPERS, POWERSLOT CRYO ROTORS, Lund Smoke Bug Shield and Weathertech's AeroVisors on all windows. 16YR N.R.A. member, 14YR D.U. member, 10YR N.W.T.F. member. 5YR Delta Waterfowl member. www.rntcalls.com
warrenpouyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
this might sound like a hack job but i seen guys spray a heavy oil on the frame in side fenders all under the bed and in side underneath the bed quarters tail gate

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have been talking to my dad. He pours his used oil down the 2x4 post holes every oil change on his 84 f150 and 87 f350 and till this day, those two trucks are the only two of those years I've seen on the road in PA with spotless fenderwells(those years terrible for rusting around the fenders) that haven't had work done to them.
2000 F350 XLT PSD, 4x4, 6 speed manual, 110,000 miles, Luk clutch, upgraded clutch fork, Ranchhand Front-End Replacement, 05 Grille, Clear corner lights, Bushwacker Pocket-Style Flares, 08 bed/tailgate/lights, ztech spray-in bedliner, BFG 285/75/R16E, KC foglights, running boards, XM Radio, Viper alarm, Leer 100XL.

1987 F-350 crew cab, 6.9, 5 speed, 4x4, stock

Proudly serving in the USN

Freedom isn't free: but don't worry, the US military is picking up the tab

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/DSC01181.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/DSC01183.jpg
jjfertig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

My '02 is just a hair over 3 years old and I have the same thing occurring in the tailgate. I have not been under the truck to look at the pinch welds or the doors yet but it would not surprise me to find it there either. Now we will see how good the warranty is at the dealership for the rust proofing treatment.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2Ķ Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203ļ T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

This thread brings up a very good questions concerning corrosion. I can't believe '04's are rusting out!!!! Here in the Midwest the current generation F250's seem to be pretty rust free. I have 25k on my '02. I spend a lot of time keeping mine clean, particullarly during the winter. I didn't have mine out but maybe a half dozen time this past winter so I managed to keep it clean.

At least in my area of the country they have stopped using rock salt and went to a liquid form af salt. As if the old stuff wasn't bad enough. This new crap doesn't even have to break down, it can begin creeping into body seams right away!

I never had mine rustproofed. Each spring I flush the cab corners, doors, tailgate, rockers, in-between the inner fender wells/front fenders, and the inner wheelwells/box sides with a garden hose until it runs clear. The I let the truck dry out in the sun. I have always had good luck with prior vehicles when doing this.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, I plan on going to a dealership tomorrow to see *** !

Guys, I can tell you this, the corrosion is NOT from the salt. My truck only has seen one winter in Maryland which we had very few days of salt on the roads.... also, my rust is found high inside the doors where the seam is running from top to bottom. Salt never got into this area. Plus I am very anal about keeping my rig clean.

What I found is small bubbles that are forming along this seam. On the front driver door, rear pass. door, and rear driver side door, AND the tailgate on the inside seam the whole way across.

This is truely pissing me off, I cannot believe I must put up with this now. I can honestly say , I would NOT recommend buying another Ford if this is how my 40K truck is going to end up. A RUST BUCKET thats less than one year old with less than 15K miles.

%#$%@ ^#&*#& %**!&^~## &#&&@ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
MY RIDES
Old 05-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Here we go......I'll NEVER buy another Ford cause I didn't take care of mine.....blah,blah,blah...... You didn't wash it enough, get over it.
aussiekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

I have a 2002 that has 16,000 miles on it. Itís not babied at all, the only reason the miles are so low is because Iíve been working overseas for all but 8 months since I bought the thing. I do wash it when Iím home but it sits in the driveway at my moms place while Iím away and doesnít get pampered too much.

I was concerned with rust when I bought my truck because the stock exhaust was really rusty looking, as were some other spots on the underside of the truck. I can honestly say that there isnít any more rust on there now than there was when I picked it up. I know because I looked the last time I changed the oil and was really amazed that it hadnít spread.

Hopefully the dealer will have something positive for you.

Thomas
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Here we go......I'll NEVER buy another Ford cause I didn't take care of mine.....blah,blah,blah...... You didn't wash it enough, get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to read before you post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

From the post you replied to above "ROOFGOOF.......Salt never got into this area. Plus I am very anal about keeping my rig clean ."

Louie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW...everyone should also check under the rubber on the doors at the bottom of the window. Mine has rusted there from the metal that the rubber was incased in. When the rubber was cut to size the metal inside the rubber was not trimmed back and sticks out past the soft rubber. Metal on metal rubs the body and is now rusted to the size of a dime and growing. I have checked other Super Duty's and have seen the same thing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. Mostly rear doors but some show it on the front doors too.
02 SuperDuty CC Lariat 4x4, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed w/LUK clutch & South Bend Kevlar PB, DP Tuner, 1.15 A/R Van Turbo W/ATS housing, Non-EBV Turbo Pedestal, CCV mod, 4" custom mid side exit straight pipe, Tymar intake, IH T 444E BADGES, 06 Grill, WARN bumpers, AIC, 06 TT mirrors, 37" BFG BAJA on HMMWV double bead lock wheels, Bushwacker cut out flares, Superlift 4" LIFT, Triple A-pillar Gauges, A.R.E. DCU Cap with barn doors and 4'x5'x6" Con Ferr Roof Rack, Rhino Lined, CB, Wet Okole's neoprene seat covers, 2 12" subs
FOKISD Charter Member

My truck
TDS Photos
Bella PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

assiekeeper. You are damn right I'm pissed off about this, and I DO KEEP MY RIDE CLEAN. In fact I baby the hell out of it. My 1970 GTO has developed less rust than my $$$ 40K NEW FORD!

I am leaving right now to see the dealership. I will let you guys know what they say.

BTW, the rust isnt near the rubber weather stripping. Its along the seam where the metal meets metal, and is in an area that does not see hardly any moisture (the doors) The tailgate is a different story, but it shouldnt have done this. Its also garaged kept.
MY RIDES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.