Shakes and sounds like a helicopter???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shakes and sounds like a helicopter????

I have deveoloped an intresting problem with my '02 F250. When i reach about 40mph the truck begins so shake and starts to sound like a helicopter (best as i can explain the sound). It has been going on for a week now. I am tring to think what it could be before it goes to the stealership. It is driving me insane! Once i get up to 40mph everthing shakes, the steering wheel does not. Some times I think if i get up to 60mph it is going to fall apart. As soon as i let up on the accelerater it seems to disappear. At lower speeds there is no sign of the vibartion or the sound. The truck has 79,000 and only about 8,500 on the tires. There is no towing involved. Could the rear tires be out of balance? Did I throw a weight off the drive shaft? Any ideas? Please Help!!!
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Re: Shakes and sounds like a helicopter????

[ QUOTE ]
I have deveoloped an intresting problem with my '02 F250. When i reach about 40mph the truck begins so shake and starts to sound like a helicopter (best as i can explain the sound). It has been going on for a week now. I am tring to think what it could be before it goes to the stealership. It is driving me insane! Once i get up to 40mph everthing shakes, the steering wheel does not. Some times I think if i get up to 60mph it is going to fall apart. As soon as i let up on the accelerater it seems to disappear. At lower speeds there is no sign of the vibartion or the sound. The truck has 79,000 and only about 8,500 on the tires. There is no towing involved. Could the rear tires be out of balance? Did I throw a weight off the drive shaft? Any ideas? Please Help!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen grampyjim post that when a truck comes into his dealership for repairs and sounds like a helicopter, it is suffereing from wetstacking. Basically meaning a valve has stuck due to gumming up the vlave stem from a lot of idling and a pushrod usually comes out.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

If it were my truck, I'd run a super-concentrated dose of Power-Service or Stanadyne fuel additive and the drive the Pi$$ out of it for a while.
My reasoning would be that it would burn off the gunk that is causing the valve to stick. Of course if you've already lost a pushrod, it's too late for that.
Notice I said "if it were my truck", I hate taking it to the shop. If you got the dough and the time w/out the truck, maybe you just want to do that tho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think this is what you are saying -

The "shaking and helicopter noises start at 40 mph and continue as you go faster." I also think you said that "if you let up on the go pedal the noise and shaking stop - regardless of speed?"

In other words - If the above is true, then the problem does not seem to be tire related. If you get the truck up to speed and put it in nuetral and let it coast down through the trouble speeds, this will tell you if it is tire, engine or possibly tranny related.

How about if you rev the motor in nuetral - does it sound funny at higher RPM's? Does it do this shaking in just certain gears?

Keep us posted,

Viper
Old 02-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is what you are saying -

The "shaking and helicopter noises start at 40 mph and continue as you go faster." I also think you said that "if you let up on the go pedal the noise and shaking stop - regardless of speed?"

In other words - If the above is true, then the problem does not seem to be tire related. If you get the truck up to speed and put it in nuetral and let it coast down through the trouble speeds, this will tell you if it is tire, engine or possibly tranny related.

How about if you rev the motor in nuetral - does it sound funny at higher RPM's? Does it do this shaking in just certain gears?

Keep us posted,

Viper

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice nothing unusual at idle, high idle or in nuetral with the motor being rev. I am a little slow so how can tell Coasting in neutral if it is the motor or tranny? I know there is no sign of the trouble below 40mph. And once I lift of the accelrate at any speed it stops. Not sure if this is vaulable but the motor was pulled to put a new crack assembly in about 1000 miles ago. And if it is wet stacking I am thinking it is not covered by warranty......? Thanks again to all
Old 02-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just for grins and giggles, check the driveline for a bad u-joint or maybe a trans/diff problem. If the engine was the culprit, it seems like it would run bad at high rpm in neutral, too. Maybe something in the driveline is getting into a bind under torque and vibrating, and stops when you take the torque off of it. U-joints and things are something simple to check, and at least you can eliminate those. Also grab the pinion yoke and give it a few good yanks (with the wheels blocked and the truck in neutral, to take any torque off the drivline) and try to twist it and see how much movement there is. If you have jack stands, try running it with the rear axle off the ground (fronts blocked, of course)and see if the noise shows up at all. If it does, have someone listen to pinpoint it. Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
sootthrower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Based on the last bit of information, I would venture to guess that this is drive line related. If it was engine related, it would be doing it in nuetral.

Either way - if it is as bad as you are saying, I would get it to the dealer to look at. All that shaking is not good for the other components.

Let us know,

Viper
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

i had a similar problem on a truck i used to own. If the shuttering and noises stop when you coast in neutral with no throttle then it could ver well be a bad universal joint either on the diff side or the tranny side. Get underneath the truck and grab the input and output yoke of the u-joint and twist in opposite directions. If you have play then it is most likely the u-joints.
• Tranny Temp, Boost,Pre Turbo EGT and Oil Pressure Guages • AMSOil BMK-16 Dual Remote By-pass Filter with Series 3000 5W30 Synthetic Oil • Fron & Rear Diffs filled with AMSOil 75W90 Synthetic Extreme Gear Oil • Transfer Case filled with AMSOil ATF Synthetic Transmission Fluid • Auxillary Lighting and Switches • Secondary Fuse Panel custom built •Magnaflow 5" full flow exhaust with 6" tip •AFE Stage II Full Induction Intake •Severe Duty Wagner Brakes •Coherse Battery Isolator
• on the list is a fuel heater, higher flow rate pump, chip, coolant bypass, Voltmeter and rear differential temp guages.
kschumac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 07:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Last night I drove the truck home took it out of gear and the noise and shaking smoothed out. I crawled underneath with the truck in neutral, found no play in the drive line. Could this still be a tire issue? Even though it only happens at higher speeds. What would I be looking at to replace the U-joints cost and time? I was hoping to get gauges instead of dealing with this.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

If it were me, I would have it checked to know what it is. You can then choose to not address it and get guages or fix the problem, if there is one.

Guages don't do you much good if you are stranded because the drive shaft or u-joint fails.

Again, not telling you what to do.

Good Luck,

Viper
Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well took the rear drive shaft out. Drive shaft shop said it i had one bad U-joint....So I had them replace all three. They said the carrier bearing was good. With my excitment I went home with a thought I fixed the problem. Well I am confused today I drove the truck and it was fine til 50-55mph. It started to have similar symptons from before. One big diffence is when the truck is take out of gear at 50-55 the syptoms continue. Where to go from here? I am thinking of putting my stock tires on to see if it continues. Did I mess up my rearend?

Thanks to every one who has helped.
s_c
Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

One problem at a time I guess. It could be that the bad U-joint was masking the new symptom. Swapping out tires would be a great idea to try.

Viper
Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am having a similar problem. The problem I have when taking of from a stop or driving at lower speeds I have bad vibration problems. It starts at 20 mph and goes away around 45 mph. I have drained the rear differential, replaced the oil and added friction modifiier because of the ls, changed out the u-joints all 3, changed out the carrier bearing, and had the transfer case serviced. I noticed the other day pulling my travel trailer that when I pull a heavy load that it is worse. Also I started having problems trying to get 4 lo back to 2h has been a problem lately. Is there anything else that I can check for.
Guarcello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.