The Diesel Stop banner

Should I keep it?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  redrocker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I bought a 2006 F450 6.0 Lariat Crew Cab dually in May 2015. It had 132K miles on it and was in great shape. I researched things and knew the 6.0 had some problems, but figured with the 132K miles, it had already been there, done that.

We love the truck, but it did blow the EGR cooler after we had driven it about 2K miles towing our travel trailer. We had it fixed by a diesel expert in the area and it seems to be running fine. He replaced the cooler with a stock one and the truck has no mods. I had him keep it and drive it for a week since we only tow with it and weren't going anywhere. He really liked it and now it is in storage for the winter.

I want a truck I can trust and wonder if I should trade this one when it comes out of storage or, since the cooler and pump have been replaced, am I good to go at this point?

I realize there is no correct answer to this, but wanted experienced opinions since this is our first diesel.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You will get couple kind of answer for that question.

Get rid of it before you get too mush problem!

Keep it they are good truck but you will need bulletproof the engine witch can cost between 5k and 10k

My opinion on those is you should get rid of it, but i never own one and don't know too much about them.

If you decide to keep it, like i state earlier, you're better to bulletproof the engine at lease

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
1# Keep it stock.

Maintain it with high quality filters and fluids. No bottom of the barrel filter and cheap oil that's on sale.

Maintain it on schedule, not I'll do it later.

Adding a coolant filter will help keep the cooling system clean and prevent cooling system issues like you have already experienced.

Oil additives like archoil will prevent stiction and help injector life.

#4 ·
Thanks. It is stock and I have no plans to modify it. All maintenance is done and I put an additive in the coolant.

I'll check into archoil and a coolant filter while it's in storage.

It only has to tow about 4,000 miles a year and a few errands around town to keep the fluids moving. I hope to keep it and got a great deal on it originally, so even with the recent repairs I'm ahead of blue book.

#5 ·
Why did your diesel expert put a stock egr cooler, the square cooler a ticking time bomb. He should of put a bullet proof diesel egr cooler and did he do the oil cooler bc most of the time the oil cooler gets clog and keep the coolant from going through the egr cooler cause it to blow, when he did the cooler he should of done the stc fitting to.

Bullet proof diesel egr cooler link
BulletProof EGR Cooler, Square, Ford 6.0L, Lifetime Warranty

#6 · (Edited)
Why did your diesel expert put a stock egr cooler, the square cooler a ticking time bomb. He should of put a bullet proof diesel egr cooler and did he do the oil cooler bc most of the time the oil cooler gets clog and keep the coolant from going through the egr cooler cause it to blow, when he did the cooler he should of done the stc fitting to.

Bullet proof diesel egr cooler link
BulletProof EGR Cooler, Square, Ford 6.0L, Lifetime Warranty

Well, I'm new to diesels and didn't know enough to request it and it wasn't suggested. So I just called him and he said he used BulletProof parts in the repairs and there is a two-year warranty on the parts and labor. He said as long as the truck is left stock (no chips, etc.) he would drive it all day every day and enjoy it. So, I guess I will.

Now I can start saving for those four new drive tires!

Thanks for the input folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.