spare tire key - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
spare tire key

I have a 02 7.3 psd, it didn't have the key when I bought it. I am trying to get the spare down just in case I have a flat. I tried one of my friends but it didn't work. I was told it is exspensive to have the dealer get them down for you. Is there any way to get the tire down or what should I do?
william3303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Go to the parts dept and ask them for the number to the company that sells the keys. There are 13 of them or so. For you to get the key you have to tell them the key code that is located on a piece of paper in your glove box unless someone else has moved it. My truck does not have a key, the square end of the rod is what fits and lowers the tire. Take a flash light and look down the shaft to see what shape yours is. I don't know what year Ford began using the funky spare tire keys. Good luck and hopefully this helped ya some.
CC/LB
Firestone Ride-Rite's
Coolant Filter
Edge Insight
Fuel Pressure Gauge
SCT Tuned by Matt@ Gearhead

Delwars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william3303 View Post
I have a 02 7.3 psd, it didn't have the key when I bought it. I am trying to get the spare down just in case I have a flat. I tried one of my friends but it didn't work. I was told it is exspensive to have the dealer get them down for you. Is there any way to get the tire down or what should I do?
Common problem. The star section that the special key fits into will come out it you can slip something in there to pull or pry it out. I lost my key, getting one from Ford was more trouble than it was worth. One of the issures is security and the special key while it seems to provide some it really doesn't. This is what I did when I lost my key. I took a hack saw and wired it to a broom handle. I slipped the hack saw between the bumper, frame and tire. I cut the cable. It took about a minute to put the tire on the ground, so much for security. Then I went to the dealership and bought another winch, 69 bucks it only has two bolts. Put that on without the special key and the square end of the handle fits and operates it fine. Put a chain and lock around the frame and tire.
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Spare Tire Key

MIne was missing on my used (2K mi) 07, no OEM owners manual. Had to drive to a dealer with a complete key "set" to check for the correct one, asked for & dealer ordered it @ no charge to me. (iirc they wanted about $75.) Took about a week or so.
O7 F-250 XLT S/C L/B, 4X4, 2" lift, Firestone air bags, o/b compressor, Ranchos, Linex, Diselsite coolant filter, Fumoto oil drain, straight through truck muffler, 5" Flo-Pro s/s tip, Kobalt toolbox, bug shield & ventshades, Steelcraft s/s bull bar, IPC dr & fog lights, Rampage s/s step boards, Line of Fire LED under tailgate, fog lights on class III hitch reverse lights, JVC HDR-1, Infinity Kappas, wheelskins, cover king dash mat, Husky mud flaps.
Artic Fox 21-5R 5ver

Totalled 01 F-350 C/C, L/B (someone ran a stop sign, & ended up as a hood ornament), many xtras, best of which from Rob Riley (Diselsite), Jody Tipton (DP Tuner) & many thanks to Dieselstop contributors.

We stand on the shoulders of giants. If you can read, thank a teacher, if it's english, thank a vet.
shooter 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. After looking it over for awhile I took the torch and cut the bracket that holds the tire up. Took out two bolts that hold the winch on. Got the winch out, pryed the key out. Cleaned up the cut, welded it back together, bolted it down. Works good with handle.
william3303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Follow up question here.

If you don't have a spaer tire on the hanger would it be possible to unbolt the wench and remove the security key that way?

I just bought the truck and it didn't have a spare, so I made the guy give me one. the problem was he didn't have the key to hang it back under the truck. I have the spare riding in the bed of my truck, but would much prefer to mount it under the truck. Of course don't want to spend a bunch time and money trying to find a spare tire key.

Last edited by Roosterq; 03-18-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Roosterq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via MSN to fatfender48
simple solution to this issue i had the same thing
all you have to do is call McGard the company that makes the key
take a picture up the tube not as hard as it sounds email it to them
presto they will call you back charge you $30 and ship you out a new key and the number
no need to cut hack or cause general mayhem
fatfender48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterq View Post
Follow up question here.

If you don't have a spaer tire on the hanger would it be possible to unbolt the wench and remove the security key that way?

I just bought the truck and it didn't have a spare, so I made the guy give me one. the problem was he didn't have the key to hang it back under the truck. I have the spare riding in the bed of my truck, but would much prefer to mount it under the truck. Of course don't want to spend a bunch time and money trying to find a spare tire key.
The way I understand it is if the spare isn't mounted, all you have to do is crawl under and pry the key socket off the winch. Then, assuming the winch is working, you can just crank your spare in place.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

I finally got the time to crawl under there last night, and poped off the tube and poped out the key adapter. Cranks with the jack crank just fine. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I hammered a 12point socket onto it. Works like a champ. I'll crawl later and check what size.
ABoyAndHisToys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

1. I hammered a 4' piece of 1/2" EMT in the tube. It went right around the diameter of the key. 2. Then I pulled real hard on the pipe and the key came right out. 3. Then I was real proud of myself cause I didn't have to cut the cable and the key was removed.
4. About a year later or so someone stole my spare. Now it's locked up there real tight.

Last edited by grease_mon; 04-09-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
grease_mon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Pry it out, and use the old crank, that had the common peened end on it. Works just like the older trucks, before the day of stolen spares. Yeah, I had to do that. Good luck.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've replied to this issue a dozen times! 2 feet of extensions, a cheap tiawan 9/16" 6 point socket, a ten pound sledge.
Drive the socket over the key. Crank to lower. Start to finish is 3 minutes- tire on the ground.

It works great every time!

Then just remove the key from the jack slot and throw the sucker in the garbage!

Sorry you wasted all that time....It's been posted here many, many times...
staying stock for now!
ARP studs installed-and new heads
EGR cooler FIXED for good!
Sneaky pipe!
Coolant Filter
MBRP 4" Turbo Back
Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter w/stainless lines
IssPro A-Pillar gages
Intercooler pipe bracket mod.
Viper remote start alarm
HFCM fuel filter drain mod!
FICM REPAIR MOD
Upfitters w/ high-idle mod
40 gal aux fuel tank
Kenwood DNX7120 Navigation/DVD/iPod/BU Camera/video sytem
Jimmi Jammers (just saved my truck!)
10" flip-down rear LCD screen
18" Wheels from a 2008 F250
Grover Emergency Air Horns
Viair 200psi air system
Bed cover
expertrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Lost spare tire key

I just did this on my 04 F350 single rear wheel and it worked perfectly - tire on the ground in minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by expertrider View Post
I've replied to this issue a dozen times! 2 feet of extensions, a cheap tiawan 9/16" 6 point socket, a ten pound sledge.
Drive the socket over the key. Crank to lower. Start to finish is 3 minutes- tire on the ground.

It works great every time!

Then just remove the key from the jack slot and throw the sucker in the garbage!

Sorry you wasted all that time....It's been posted here many, many times...
rhgoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yup, it works! I had that dilemma when I bought my 04 F-350...no spare tire key. I bought some cheap extensions and used a cheapo 9/16" 6 point socket. I hammered it on and let the tire down no problem. I had to then remove the tire winch assembly (which was easy only 2 bolts) to retrieve the socket and key plug after a little prying. I was hesitant at first because I didn't want to mess anything up, but the socket wedges right over the outside of the key plug and it is tight. I probably could have left it on there and just used the extensions to let down and lift up the tire every time I needed it. Even if you have the key I think it is a good idea to do this anyway, as I have had problems with the key socket stripping out on my work truck while trying to change a tire. It was stranded for 2 days on a mountain back road until we brought another spare up to it.
Husq372 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.