Super tech Oil and Filter? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Super tech Oil and Filter?

Anybody running Super Tech Oil and Filter? Is it a very good product?When I used to mechanic about 5 years ago, the super tech brand was bottled by major companies. Oil was Quaker State, Filter's were STP/Champion, Antifreeze was Prestone and so on. Just curious to see if this was the case with the 15/40 diesel oil.
Thanks

01 F-250 4x4, XLT, Crew Cab, AFE Stage II Intake
TS Chip w/ PHP Tunes, Auto Meter Gauges (pyro, boost, trans), ITP Fuel Tank/Pre-Pump Kit, Riffraff FRx, Gutted Turbo, Riffraff SS X-over, DIY CCV, 4" Turbo Back w/Donaldson M085171, Warn Hubs, Sonnax Kit
indystroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Super tech Oil and Filter?

I had a report that the SuperTech ST3786 filter was manufactured by Mobil, in that it was the same one marketed under the Mobil 1 brand. I have been using them as the Mobil 1 filter claims to be a better filter than most.
Since Wal-Mart sells lots of Shell Rotella-T, my best guess is that the ST 15w40 diesel oil is also same. I don't use it as my truck likes Mobil Delvac better. I have used the ST oil and have had the same oil consumption issues that I have with Rotella-T.

Went to new owner on 12/12/09 (I will miss her)
2000 F350 XLT CC LB SRW 6spd 4x4 Toreador Red
'08 Center Console,Ranch Hand Grill Guard, SBC ConO clutch,DP Tuner (60T,80E,120R),Gauges,Ford AIS,Walker BTM,AIH delete,HPX Oil Crossover, Wicked Wheel,TurboMaster WG Contoller,Riley BRV+,Riley Boost Boots,EBPV Gut w/mod. pedestal,IH Bellowed UpPipes,Final Charge ELC coolant w/heater bypass,Riley Coolant Filter,Ford AIC,Centramatic Wheel Balancers,115gal Aux tank,Firestone airbags w/cab control. Oilguard Bypass Filtration,DFA 'Cross Connect' Fuel Lines
Rich_Kimball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
Since Wal-Mart sells lots of Shell Rotella-T, my best guess is that the ST 15w40 diesel oil is also same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks

01 F-250 4x4, XLT, Crew Cab, AFE Stage II Intake
TS Chip w/ PHP Tunes, Auto Meter Gauges (pyro, boost, trans), ITP Fuel Tank/Pre-Pump Kit, Riffraff FRx, Gutted Turbo, Riffraff SS X-over, DIY CCV, 4" Turbo Back w/Donaldson M085171, Warn Hubs, Sonnax Kit
indystroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not necessarily so. They may even use different suppliers in different areas of the country. However, it would all be manufactured to Walmart's specs, which would probably the proper API classification and viscosity for your vehicle. Also, it may or may not be as good as the manufacturing company's own branded oil.
As far as the oil filters, a few years ago, Motorcraft filters tested out the best. For a few bucks, I won't take the chance using a cheap filter. BUT, I don't drive my Diesel very much, so oil and filters are not a major annual expense for me. Your case may be different.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

There has been lots of discussion on BITOG in the past about who produces Supertech oil. Wal-mart is so big that it depends on what region you are in.
In the midwest it is likely Warren, and elsewhere it could be another producer like Conoco, but I am pretty sure it is not Shell, the producer of Rotella.
You can tell the Warren jugs by looking on the bottom of the jug and if it has WPP embossed in the plastic it is a Warren product. Also there are two Warren's, the supertech is Warren Performance Products I think, not the other one. Either way it really is pretty good stuff for the price. You can go to the Walmart site and find the MSDS's for the Supertech 15w-40's, and there will be two different ones, one from each supplier, to find out positively who the other supplier is.
reyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

PS. supertech filters are made by Champion Labs, who also produce the M1 filters, but they also produce a lot of other filters for different brands as well.
That does not mean that you will get the same filter material of even construction as a M1 filter, as they have many different lines and different filter media's that, as montanafan says are used to customer specs.
reyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Even if ST was made by Shell, which it isn't, doesn't mean it would be the same as Rotella!! The same goes for filters and other products. You need to look at the spec requirements in your owners manual. if the oil meets or exceeds these specs it is okay to use. Only UOA's will determine if your truck like it.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think I'd assume that because the container was "such and such" that the contents were "such and such".
Several years ago, when I was working at the Shell Martinez refinery, we got a railroad tank car of Pennzoil that we packaged in their own containers for them. I guess what I am saying is that Walmart MAY supply the containers to the refiner. (or may not) I don't know.
However, any Walmart oil would meet specs supplied to the manufacturer by Walmart, who does have a reputation to uphold.
#2 93 F-150 XLT, 5 Liter, Auto, 4X4, X Cab. 251,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes.
montanafan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.