thump, thump sound- left front. wheel ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thump, thump sound- left front. wheel ?

This sound started a couple of months ago, when I apply the brakes from around 30 mph on up. I get what I would call a intermittent thumping sound from the left front wheel. I removed the wheel today and found what I would call the dust shield was rubbing on the rotor. I bent it back a little and figured that was the problem.

No such luck it's still doing it, and I also noticed that I get the same sound when going at the same speeds when making a left turn without applying the brakes. The pads and the rotor look great, I only have around 28,000 miles on the truck.

I'll be removing the wheel again in the next couple of days and look a little deeper, I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea what it could be ? could it be a wheel bearing ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I don't get the noise except when I apply the brakes or turning left while moving without applying the brakes. Could the pads be moving just a little or ??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help Ed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
2003f350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: thump, thump sound- left front. wheel ?

did you jack up the wheel and pull in and out on it??? That will tell you if the wheel bearing is toast....
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Jack it up and check for bearing and grab the top and bottom and see if you have play that way if so BJ's are soon needed.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Jack it up and check for bearing and grab the top and bottom and see if you have play that way if so BJ's are soon needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't thinking ball joints with only 28,000 miles , but that sounds like a good possibility. I'll jack it up under the wheel and use a bar to lift up on the tire and look for movement at the lower ball joint ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] is that correct ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] and would the upper show up when the tire is grabbed top and bottom and moved in and out ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] also maybe the bearing ?

Thanks Ed
Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Once it is jacked up you can grab the wheel at the top and bottom and push in and out... you will tell if it is the ball joints....

Grab the sides and pull in and out....you will know if it is a bearing....
Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just an update on my thumping left front wheel. I jacked up the front wheel and could not find any sort of looseness at all. I pulled in and out top & bottom and then put a bar under the wheel and pulled up on it while a friend of mine looked for any movement. I also checked the right wheel just in case.

Everything looks good, this is a real puzzle so far. There is no pulsating on the pedal, like you would get with a warped rotor. The front end is nice and steady at highway speeds, no shake or shimmy. The brakes stop fine, no pulling, just this annoying thump thump while coming to a normal stop from around 30 mph on up, also when making a left turn at speed without applying the brakes ???

It is not as bad if I make a quicker stop, my mechanic friend [Auto] thinks the pads are moving slightly in the caliper and that there is a special sort of lube to use there ???
Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Thanks Ed
Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

This is a 2WD truck?

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.