Truck shakes at 45 to 50 MPH - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck shakes at 45 to 50 MPH

My new truck has had a shake in it since I picked it up. It now has 2200 miles on it. The shake is felt from just over 45 MPH to about 50 MPH. Above and below that it is smooth. I have not had it over 70 MPH so I do not know if it picks up again above that. It does not feel like it is the front end, I don't really feel it in the steering wheel, more like the whole truck. The dealer claims there is nothing wrong with it "all 450 shake like that". I don't believe that for a minute. I thought it might be driveshaft alignment so I checked it and just to experiment, I added a spacer on the carrier bearing. It made no difference so I removed it. I am thinking it is either a tire balance or tire out of round issue, what do others think?
Weight 9120 lbs
Delivered on 10/7/05
06 F-450 CC 6.0 PSD 6-speed Lariat with a Aerotow bed from Manning.
DonThompson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: Truck shakes at 45 to 50 MPH

Don,

I would find another dealer to look at it and not go back to a dealer who gives you "they all do it". They are either clueless or for some reason don't want the business. There are a lot of 450/550s running around without a shake. Keep at it.

Robb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
99.5 F250SD XLT,4X4,CC,SB,SRW,V10,Auto,3.73LS,ESOF,Deep Wedgewood Blue,Swiss Cab-high Cap,Pioneer DEH-P7300,Alpine Amps,Infinity Sub,Street Scene Grill Inserts,full-chrome grill,Fumoto,SPA Gauges,Rancho stabilizer,Heated/Lighted TT mirrors, Jordan Ultima 2020,TYC Elegante Tail Lights,Great Covers Endura Seat Covers,Auto Lock Underseat Drawer,Hella Micro DE Fogs,Full Chrome Front Bumper,PML Diff Cover, JAD Solutions LED running lights below doors,18" Harley Wheels,keypad,chrome tow hooks,leather steering wheel, PF 2-piece Rotors and "Z" pads in front - PS Cryo and Hawk LTS in rear,BANKS Stinger Plus,Banks TransCommand,GMT Transmission,Bilstein 5100s My Pics
todlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Could be the road to.

LeRoy
Old 10-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2002 CC 4x4 that does the same thing. New tires, U-joints, carrier berring, Had the shop look through the front end. I replaced all the front-end bushing with aftermarket bushings & still hve the same problem. I really need this fixed before the Father-inlaw rides with me again. (He is on the D-MAX train this year.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Same thing on mine. It wasn't the tires, wheels or rotors. Mine may be the driveshaft needs to be balanced but otherwise those should be the only areas that would cause it. It is very annoying when it happens and almost feels like a cross between the whole truck shaking or hopping.
Sorry, no help but I am still trying to figure it out myself.
I would go to another dealer and make them drive it with you when it shakes, otherwise they will check it on their machines and tell you everything is norma.
99 F250 SD 4x4, Bilstein, Mag HyTech Diff. cover and trans. cover, BFG AT KO, Husky mats, LoJack, AFE air intake, Jardine 4" Exhaust/Magnaflow muffler, Pillar mount with Autometer gauges, Wet Okole, SCMT. HX mod, Pre-pump mod.
2000 Excursion V10, Mag Hi-Tech covers
John H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine did it also 2005 f250 it was bad injectors 2 or 3 of them cant remember at about 45-65 it shook get over 70 and it started to go away
Old 10-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had the exact same problem, and it probably will not do it over 70 it was a very specific range on mine 44-52mph. Went through two dealers telling me I was nuts. Finally on the third they actually investigated the problem and found it to be a mis-balanced drive shaft they told me it was not far off, but put a new one on and it was a completly different truck. Mine was so bad that I hated driving my truck for the first 5,000 miles. It would vibrate so much it would put my hand to sleep driving in the city. I could hear mine as it vibrated the entire truck creating a sonic type vibration in the cab. Now one new driveshaft and three service depts later I abstloultly love my truck and love driving it. Hope this helps, and I know there were a few others on here that had the same problem, it appears to be very intermettent though. Drive shafts usually do it a high speed, and thats why the first two wouldnt replace it, find a good dealer that will work with you and you'll be all set. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it is a driveshaft balance problem, Balancemasters.com sells mercury filled driveshaft balancers for about $80. I have not tried them yet, but I might in the near future.
vurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.