The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turn Signals Not Working?

88K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
Out of the blue, my turn signals stopped working today. I checked the #18 fuse under the dash (in addition to all of the fuses) and it was fine. I also looked for one of those round metalic looking blinkers but couldn't find one. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Just dead stopped?

Mine recently started acting funny on right turns. It'll hyper-blink but the lights aren't blinking, it just sounds like it. I have to put a little pressure on the wand towards neutral and it starts working right. It's annoying. Left works fine.

If it's dead and you've checked everything, can you find anything else that's dead or acting up?

#3 ·
there is 2 fuses under the hood 20a that feed both sides. the flasher is under the dash toward the center above the accellerator pedal just below the radio. if you have a strong back you'll have to crawl under the dash to get to it. it has a black snap on cover on it & it is the blue relay. its an electronic solid state type.

#6 ·
They stopped working altogether. I had no choice but to use the truck this morning and I had to put my hazards on in a parking lot for a couple of minutes due to where I was parked. When I jumped back in, I took off and turned the hazards off. It was then that I realized that the hazards worked...so I tried the turn signals and they both worked again. Problem solved. But I'm not to confident that it won't happen again.

#13 ·
So when I read your initial post I was going to replay with my usual "exercise the hazard switch" but I continued to read on and saw this post. In moving the switch for the hazard function you cleaned whatever dirt/dust that cause the switch to malfunction. This is not necessarily an indication that the switch is destined for permanent failure. I have on my own truck pressed the switch 8 or 10 times when this happened and the switch never acted up again. The fact that the hazard switch is on the very top of the steeting column and the shroud tends to help funnel things into it is the reason.

#7 ·
Like I always say, "Only a Ford will fix itself"...LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#8 ·
Mine was doing this for a while. Happened to be the bulb filament hadn't completely broken away but had broken at one end and would intermittantly (sp) act up. Went away after replacing bulbs.

#10 ·
Figured that was the first thing they'd do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif After all, if they don't know enough to check the blinker fluid, they shouldn't be working on their own truck...TAKE IT TO THE SHOP!!!

#19 ·
@1GODZILLA1
Please tell us what year model your truck is. This is a fairly old thread and there are differences in wiring (and fuses) between years.

#21 ·
If only one brake light and one turn signal is working, and you've already replaced the multifunction switch then the problem is likely with the wire to the non-working side, or the bulb or the socket or ground. Troubleshoot with a mulitmeter, looking for voltage back to the bulb socket with the brake pedal depressed. It could also be a bulb with the filaments shorted together.

#22 ·
Closing this thread. Too many "me too" tag-ons for clarity. If you have a similar problem. Please start your own thread with full information on your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.