Vacuum leak for auto hubs - what problems could it cause?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuum leak for auto hubs - what problems could it cause??

I checked to see if the auto hubs can hold pressure and they seem to be leaking. When I pulled the hubs, the O rings look shot, needs to be replaced. If there is not enough vacuum applied to the auto hubs, would they remain always unlocked????? Could they some how fail in the locked position or is that impossible? This is assuming you are not in 4wd.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (0)
Re: Vacuum leak for auto hubs - what problems could it cause??

Man... I wish someone would plagiarize my posts on this subject and write an article....

The "lock" signal to the hubs is weak... about 12 inches Hg. The unlock signal is very weak.... about 6 inches. It doesn't take much of a leak to create problems. Unless there is some kind of concern with the PVH solenoid, the hubs cannot "self-engage".

Many owners labour under the notion that the yellow O-ring is the only seal to worry about..... This seal, unless damaged in installation, is rare to fail... Once it is installed, it doesn't move.

The dark coloured O-ring on the locking hub assembly never seems to give concerns, even after removing and reinstalling the hub multiple times.

The usual culprit is the large knuckle seal (the expensive one). What will fool the yellow O-ring crowd is that disturbing the large knuckle seal can allow it to perform well in a recheck of the system - but that wont last long. A worn out seal is a worn out seal....

The insidious part of a leaking knuckle seal.... If it allows air to enter the knuckle cavity, it can also allow moisture and dirt to enter the knuckle cavity. This contamination can damage the spindle bearing and destroy the stub axle.

I have seen them so bad that mud has plugged off the vacuum lines.

Those that service their ESOF hubs regularly never have any nasty surprises..... those that drive from one breakdown to the next, hate the system.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

IMO those seals are the worst thing on the truck. Other than those seals I have been happy with mine but I might look into a different brand next time just because of those @#$%#@$ seals!
05 disco (wifes car)
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'am going to replace my ball joints and u-joints this weekend and i
supect that my seals are leaking. I know that i have to replace
the yellow o-ring and the big hub seal. My question is, is that the
only seals that i have to replace because the dealer said that i should replace the inner seal because the hub's can leak from the inner side also. is this true. thanks
smoothej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

That's the seal that Grampy is talking about - the pricey mechanical seal...Yeas - you should be replacing the as well.

powerstrokeshop.com has assembled a pretty complete kit for ball joints and hubs and includes what you'll need to do the job right - it's a couple hundred bucks....

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great post Grampy_Jim. I don't think I have read a post that summarizes the major causes of ESOF vacuum problems as eloquently as that one just did! Right On!

I may just take you up on your offer and paste it to a couple of my maintenance web pages. No plagiarism though, credit is always given.
DPTuner chip - Z-series Gauge - TC Lock

Homepage: Mods and Maintenance page
guzzle02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Grampy Jim,

Have you seen the solenoid go bad very often? I think I have traced my leak to it. The pump runs constantly, but if I disconnect the two lines from the solenoid and plug the red hose the vacuum reservoir fills up and the pump stops. So I then hooked up only the red line to the solenoid and tried to plug the second hole on the Solenoid with no luck. I then took the cap of the solenoid off and saw that there is a black rubber circular piece over one port in the solenoid but not one on the other. This seems to be where the leak occurs. I'm not sure if the solenoid is supposed to electronically close the second port and is failing, but even if I cover the second hole with my finger, the pump never shuts off. Does this sound like a failing solenoid? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

I have seen the solonoids go bad - in fact I was getting intermittant operation from my system - which I keep pretty well maintained and exercised - I found that the solonoid was sticking - I actually had some luck with WD40 - just spraying it in the holes and shaking it - got the valves loosened up.

I, too, have taken the valve apart even the bottom - about as far as you can go. but you may want to try lubing the valves and retesting.

Good job troubleshooting, though.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

By golly, I think that is the problem. Nice job.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

guzzle... feel free to post it where you like... I seem to make a habit of posting this info too often....

If an owner becomes familiar with how the system operates, it makes it easier for hime to dfiagnose.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

While the PVH solenoid isn't a big failure item, we seem to run across one or two a year.... It *seems* that trucks that have had moisture or other contaminants enter the system are the ones that suffer. Your diagnosis sounds to be accurate.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

What could cause 4Lo to not work?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
What could cause 4Lo to not work?

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of the time it's not reading the owner's manual...

-- Truck STOPPED
-- Foot on brake pedal. No really, I mean it wants to see that switch
-- Trans in Neutral (not Park, not Drive)
-- Flip dash switch
-- wait 5-15 seconds until light comes on

Getting it out of 4LO is the same thing but flipping the switch the other way and waiting for the light to go off. Even if you have the manual transfer case, this is a good sequence to follow, especially the part about having it in neutral. In Drive, with foot on the brake, there is quite a bit of tension in the gears and it is extremely hard to shift in and out of 4LO.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

&lt;99% of the time it's not reading the owner's manual...&gt;

Now THAT is one of the best, most accurate, most concise answers to be had for many concerns....

A lot of questions seen on TDS and other, similar forums would go unasked if only owners would use what we call "the worlds most expensive unread book".

I will take the time, now, to thank you for that answer..... others will consider it blasphemy to suggest that a manly man stoop to reading the instructions.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

grampy jim, I replaced my oem manual lockouts with warn lockouts and i have esof, I stopped in to have new vaccumm seals put on my axles and they sell warn hub's. so in conversation i asked them how people like those hubs and he said that they will not work with esof, he could not remember what they said but he said either they don't lock in right or
the vaccumm doe's not work correctly. Well i have had a problem with mind locking in. They lock in manual fine with the warn hubs but not at the dash esof. I could have a leak in the seals but now i have new ones. I do have vacumm coming out of the solenoid but it stops after say thirty seconds is this suppose to do that or is there vacumm all the time that the 4x4 switch is on. anyway doe's the lockout have any thing to do with
the vacumm seal area. I am putting everything back together this morning and i will see if the esof works or not. it is either my warn hubs or
my solenoid or could my gem be kicking out. Thanks you guys are awesome
with your post's and help. I have saved so much money with you guy's and
have learned so much.
smoothej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.