What if you DO gell-up? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What if you DO gell-up?

Let's say I gelled up overnight in the driveway. Could I just push the truck into the garage and fire up the heaters and "thaw it out"? For some reason I am picturing grease (the food kind) that is put in the fridge. It "gells-up". Then, when warmed back up, it liquifies again. Will gelled diesel liquify itself if warmed up again? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Ordered 2/03/05 -- Picked up 4/08/05 '05 Black ext/Tan int., F-350 FX4, Crew Cab, Long bed, SRW, 6.0, Auto 3.73, Lariat, Moonroof, Cab lights, ESOF, Power rear slider, Reverse sensors, Upfitters, Heated seats 40/20/40, 6 CD, Adjustable pedals,Snow plow prep, Stabilizer pkg, Tow command, Hitch receiver, PTO, Chrome tube steps, remote start, Hefty bill!
Upgrade from a 1987 Honda Accord.
FallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What if you DO gell-up?

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

If you can't get it in the garage or a warm place try POWER SERVICE 911

Dyno:
1086hp DynoJet# II Event, 2012
1052hp ATS Event, 2012
1032hp PFI Event, 2009
999hp PFI Event, 2011
996hp Morgan Charity Event, 2011

--------------------------------------------------
RIP - Wide Open Performance
Swamps Diesel Performance - Injectors & IDM
Gearhead Automotive Performance - Stage II Cam
blowby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

your truck won't gel up unless its moving.....I tried the diesel911 crap when i gelled and it didn'tdo a damn thing, I towed her home and put it in a heated shop for a while...

If you have a garage to put it in why don't you put it in?
Derag2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I do have a garage and it is in there right now. And it never gelled. I was just throwing out a hypothetical situation to find the answer to a more important question.

The fuel won't gel unless I'm moving? Really??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Ordered 2/03/05 -- Picked up 4/08/05 '05 Black ext/Tan int., F-350 FX4, Crew Cab, Long bed, SRW, 6.0, Auto 3.73, Lariat, Moonroof, Cab lights, ESOF, Power rear slider, Reverse sensors, Upfitters, Heated seats 40/20/40, 6 CD, Adjustable pedals,Snow plow prep, Stabilizer pkg, Tow command, Hitch receiver, PTO, Chrome tube steps, remote start, Hefty bill!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes fuel can gell while parked if it gets cold enough, whether the engine is running or not.
However, fuel can look good in the tank (not gelled) and you can still have problems running due to moisture forming ice crystals and plugging the lines or filter.
Happened to me two days ago in 27* weather AFTER buying 10 gallons of fuel at a little place where I had never bought fuel before. I added some PowerService and then some Howes and switched over to the other tank. I let the additives mix in the tank with the ice for about 150 miles while driving, then topped it off with winter blended fuel, switched back to that tank, took off down the road and never had another problem.
I was lucky that I had one tank with good fuel in it to run on while the other was mixing the additives and thawing out. Otherwise I would have been changing filters more than once on the side of the road.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

How about just using Stanadyne Winter 1000 every time you fuel up and you don't ever have to worry about gelling up!

<font color="red">'97 Harley-Davidson FLSTS White/Red
Diesel_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought some Diesel Kleen? at Walmart. It seems to have a bunch of other "enhancement" stuff in it. I just wanted anti-gel, but that was all they had? I suppose any truck stop will have the Stynadyne stuff? All I realy want is the anti-gel additive without all the other goofiness in it.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

From my experience once you gell up you are SOL. It takes putting it in about 40 degree environment for a day to get things back running again. Nothing else helps in my opinion. Beleive me I tried. Avoid it by putting addidtive in every tank. Of course I did that and still had a problem in Maryland no less.
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

[ QUOTE ]
your truck won't gel up unless its moving.....I tried the diesel911 crap when i gelled and it didn'tdo a damn thing, I towed her home and put it in a heated shop for a while...

If you have a garage to put it in why don't you put it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Garage isnt for running vehicles! Its for projects and other non-running junk!

Sheesh! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

'00 F350 CC 4x4 LB auto 3:73 138,000
'89 F250sc 4x4 7.3NA 5spd 4:10s 192,000 --- DECOMMISSIONED
SMASHER89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

[ QUOTE ]
...Garage isnt for running vehicles! Its for projects and other non-running junk!

Sheesh! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always felt similarly. I want the vehicle to fail in my driveway. I don't want to drive it out of an artificially warm environment only to find out it can't take the cold 10 miles from home when leaving work. I try to anticipate problems but the cold seems to always bring out the worst.

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
I bought some Diesel Kleen? at Walmart. It seems to have a bunch of other "enhancement" stuff in it. I just wanted anti-gel, but that was all they had?

[/ QUOTE ]Power Service Diesel Kleen is not "anti-gel". It will not reduce the cloud point or the gel point. Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (in the white jug) is the anti-gel and comes with a gel proof guarantee.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

with the abundence of fuel/ anti-gel additives, fuel gelling should be a thing of the past. but some people don't want the extra expense of a fuel additive, well for what a bottle cost ($9.75 for 100 gals) is minimal insurance over several $100 for a service repair or downtime waiting for it to thaw out.
i do belive that fuel additives are a must in the winter. however we don't get the extreme cold in the South, but i do use a anti-gel every time i fill up just for insurance plus it helps during cold starts.

Mine :01 F-350 CrewCab Lariat 4x4, 7.3 PowerStroke, auto, ShortBox. Mods: 3-Gauage A-pillar W/ Autometer Lunar Guages: boost,pyro,trans; DIY Tymar, Muffler Delete, Galaxy DX-33 Radio W/ Wilson 1000, and Optima RED TOP's, Centramatics, Lund Soft Tonneau

Play:

'82 Ford Bronco 302, auto, Galaxy 33v, Wilson 1000

04 Yamaha G22 E , Jake's Long travel lift kit, Fairway Alloy "Hazard " wheels , 23" EFX Blade tires, Jake's SST Safari Bar and Rear Tube bumper.
Color : PPG Orange Crush Pearl w/ Hi- Gloss Black trim ....

Hers: 00 Pontiac Trans Am, (stock)LS1, auto, T-tops.
VCRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

id just run powerservice, its no different than stadyne, WHITE BOTTLE is winter, grey is summer...... Run #1 diesel. I don't even have a garage to put my truck in, i've geled once and that was because i had #2 in my tank and didn't relise it was gonna be as cold as it got, which was -3 without the wind chill. I made it about 12 miles and that was all she wrote, i dumped powerservice in it before i left but didn't get mixed well enough, trying the 911 crap and nothing.
Derag2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
NP

My Photos: (10)

FPPF MeltDown is some good stuff to have on hand in case of gelling, and you have no where to get in side. When I lived in the cold country, we used and sold a lot of this stuff. At that time it had a different name. Often times on some of the mornings when it was well below 0, you'd take the cap off of the fuel tank on the big rig, and see a white haze in the tank (wax crystals). Dump in a bottle of this stuff and you could watch the wax start to disappear.

I still have a bottle of the "old" stuff tucked away in the garage for when I take a trip in the winter.
2000 SD CC PSD 4X4 Lariat, 156 WB, Island Blue & Harvest Gold, AIC, Autometer Pyro, Isspro Boost gauge, Banks Monster Exhaust, AIS Filter Kit, Racor CCV3550, Stainless Steel grille, Grover Organtone Air Horns, 02 headlights, 2012 rear bumper, hitch, tail lights & mirrors. Ordered 11/23/99, Built 01/13/00, shipped 01/14/00, Delivered 2/2/00. (25,717 miles on the odometer as of 7-20-2014) Running Board LED Light Project My Trucks & Upgrades

NP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Living in the great white north (just 30 minutes from Canada) I can attest to having both a two super duties and a two tractors on seperate occassions Gel Up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

In all instances the air temperature (not wind-chill) was 30 degree below zero [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] The cause was either bad fuel from distributor and/or insufficient fuel additive for that crazy a temperature. The 911 stuff etc was worthless at that temp. Only solution was a +70 degree garage for about 4 hours [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In the instances I thought I had bad fuel it was drained and burned in my waste-oil furnace. In the insufficent additive ones I added more and all was good.

I have never had problems unless temperatures dropped below -10. From December on every tank gets a full shot of additive...it is a horrible feeling to have it happen

SD-Dave [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
2006 John Deere 4720 Cab Tractor 4x4
2003 Frieghtliner Sprinter Van MB power

Past Diesels
2006 F-350 Lariat CrewCab-LB Dually 4X4 PSD Tow Boss Pack Chrome Pack,Loaded...Black Tan
Fuso FG Cabover truck
2002 New Holland TN-75 Full Cab 4x4 Tractor
2000 F-450 Reg.Cab 4x4 StakeBody Plow beast
2004 John Deere 3800 Articulated Telehandler
2005 F-350 CrewCab 4x4 sb/srw PSD Dark Stone
2002 Excursion PSD
2000 Excursion PSD
2002 F-350 XLT CrewCab 4x4 PSD sb/srw
2000 F-350 XLT CrewCab 4x4 PSD lb/srw
1999 F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4 sb/srw V-10 (oops)
1999 GMC Kodiak Flatbed Car Hauler, Cat Diesel pwr
SuperDutyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.