Windshield replacement ?????????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Windshield replacement ??????????

What do I look for when getting a windshield replaced to know if I am getting a quality job. I went to one glass company and was going to have them do it but I wasn't sure it was OEM glass, owner said it was but my windshield has Ford logo on it, his didn't. I decided to hold off till I got a little more info. Cost is not a factor I just wan't it done right.
Thanks
Ben
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra
Re: Windshield replacement ??????????

The '03 and up trucks have the "Super Duty" silk screened above the rearview mirror, the '02 and down trucks have just plain old glass. You can order it either way, and both styles are OEM as long as they have the Carlite (Ford glass) stamp on 'em.

Roger
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just had mine replaced with the 03 glass.
2002 f250 7.3 lariet cc auto srw short bed 3.73 gears,16k reese slide hitch,reese brake controller,banks 4inch monster exhaust,autometer lunar guages tranny,boost,egt.aFe air box,sonnax valve and tri springs,magnefine,factory aic,led lights in running boards,TS 4pos chip,DR 4.5 lift
03 tt heated/signal mirrors,wicked wheel
94 Pace Arrow 33L Class A P30 454
04 custom ridgid chopper 120RWHP
http://community.webshots.com/user/oneHD
HDone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Roger is right about the Carlite stamp.
I had mine replaced a couple of times this year by SafeLite AutoGlass. They have good service and will come to you to do the work. All you have to do is tell them that you want a Carlite and not their "house brand".
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

the 2 most common windshields for the sd are the dw1505gby (plain glass w/ a tint band)or the dw1522gby (superduty logo). they are interchangeable. the excursion windshield (dw1374gby)will also fit and has a wider tint band on top, but places the rearview mirror too low for most truck owners. carlite is ford, but ppg and pilkington are also oem suppliers.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The '03 and up trucks have the "Super Duty" silk screened above the rearview mirror, the '02 and down trucks have just plain old glass. You can order it either way, and both styles are OEM as long as they have the Carlite (Ford glass) stamp on 'em.

Roger

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be the 03s w\6 liter engines my 03 doesn't have the Super Duty emblem
Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Roger is right about the Carlite stamp.
I had mine replaced a couple of times this year by SafeLite AutoGlass. They have good service and will come to you to do the work. All you have to do is tell them that you want a Carlite and not their "house brand".

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a little concerned about the instalation also. I have read about how the replacement is never as good as the factory seal and you should always repair instead of replace. Did any of you have a problem with the installation on the replacement glass? ANy leaks, scratches on truck or winshield squeaking? What do you look for in a good installation job?
thanks again
ben
Old 12-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

it's "get what you pay for". if it squeeks something is definitely wrong, they are bedded in a bead of urethane. if the pinchweld is not properly prepped it will rust under the molding and glass. by the time you notice it, it's too late to avoid a costly repair. most dealers/bodyshops could not identify a properly executed replacement. the nags (national auto glass specifications) listing for the '03 says the dw1505 (no logo) and the dw1522 (superduty logo) are correct replacements.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

SafeLite did a very good job replacing my windshield. I had to have it done again because a rock from a truck broke the first replacement about 3 weeks after it was installed.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had my glass replaced last year also with the SD logo from a 03. Reason being is that I noticed a leak one day while driving in the rain. Once the glass was out. We notice while there was a leak. The window lip was partly folded under and there was no sealer in a 2" lower section in from of the driver.

I asked the dealer who they use for glass R/R. Gave them a call and had the window installed in less than an hour. Carlite was my choice also.

Problem now is that a nice friendly rock has also cracked my glass [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
So, I'll need another replacement again
2000 F-350 PSD 4X2 Extended Cab Dually. Fuel regulated Bypass mod with check valves removed. Autometer ultra lights 3 gauge A-pillar pod. Bill's 4 position chip In-tank mods, DPPI SS Exhaust with 4" DP, Zoodad mod. Evans Coolant with 203 thermostat. Oil Guard bypass kit and using Amsoil Ea099 filter Diamond plate tool box with matching tail gate rails and flaps.
1996 F 250 4X4 460/E4OD,banks power pack kit,trans command, MSD ignition & wires.
1969 Boss 302-Calypso Coral
1965 GT FB 289/4sp SOLD
1971 Mach 1 460BB/C6

My pic's: My pictures
SLAPS co/founder
Xaviar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra

[ QUOTE ]
I have read about how the replacement is never as good as the factory seal and you should always repair instead of replace. Did any of you have a problem with the installation on the replacement glass?

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a lot of posts about water getting into the dash from leaky FACTORY installed windshields. Its just a matter of the folks doing the job right, factory techs or aftermarket. If you really think about it, an aftermarket/repair tech should be better because they know the tricks from doing all different makes/models of vehicles. I have an old 1988 Bronco II that has had 8 different windshields in it, all from rock hits (with me, mom and dad as drivers). Always had local glass companies do the work, and never had any issues with the install, just another rock.

Roger
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

I've also read that due to the size of our windshields it takes two people to do the job properly. I don't have first hand experience with this though. So, those of you who have had replacements performed....did one or two people do the replacement?

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.