Which year diesel engine to avoid? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
LO

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which year diesel engine to avoid?

I am looking to upgrade to a diesel from my 2000 F350 V10. I love the truck but the gas mileage is atrocious. Pulling my little 2600 lb. camper, I'm lucky to get 11mpg highway. Sheeesh! Anyway, I'm looking at used diesels and I seem to recall that there was a new introduction of a diesel engine a while back that seemed to have lots of problems. I'm not sure, but I think it was the replacement for the 7.3l. In my looking for used diesels, is there a year to avoid?

LO
LO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

2003.5 and on...
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

No question the 7.3L is the most reliable of the bunch, but don't believe all the hype you hear about the 6.0L.

The 6.0L, or V365 in an International, is a superior engine to the 7.3L. What killed its reputation was a rush to production, combined with the parts Ford used to shoe-horn it into a pickup truck. Plus the fact that Ford used patented filters, meaning no one in the aftermarket could copy it. Not knowing this, lots of people bought sub-standard filters (oil and fuel), rather than purchased over priced filters from the Ford dealer. It was so bad, Ford made a video for it:

Also, there is a problem with people mixing different coolant types, causing the oil cooler to clog. Plus the EGR cooler is notorious for failing, along with the EGR valve. None of these items were found on any 6.0L engine found in an International truck, because they are heavier vehicles with different (looser) emissions requirements. As a result, the reputation of the 6.0L (VT365) in International trucks is rock solid.

If I were in the market for a diesel, I'd look at 6.0L real hard. Many people avoid them, making their prices relatively attractive compared to a 7.3L. But before I bought one, I'd run full diagnostics on it (Ford dealer should charge $100 for this) and I'd take engine oil and transmission fluid samples and send them to Blackstone Labs for analysis ($50 plus postage).

But back to your original question, 2003 was the last year for 7.3L engines, the year was split. Some 2003's have 7.3L's, but most will have a 6.0L. The last year for the 6.0L was 2007. The exact date range for the latest and greatest 7.3L was 99.5 to 2003.25. If you find a pre-99.5, Riff Raff Diesel sells a kit to bring it up to post-99.5 status.

Last edited by txgp17; 07-28-2011 at 08:19 PM.
txgp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't knock the "Early '99" 7.3, especially if you do not intend to chip it or hot rod it. It has more than enough power to handle that trailer. I've towed my 9,000# travel trailer all over this great country and never lacked for power.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea, nothing wrong with early 99's. I just wanted to chime in

Ill get back to my threads with all of my problems with my truck.

My advice, dont* buy a truck that wasnt rode hard and put away wet like I did. Sure I didnt pay much at all but mine was an abused work truck and it shows it. If i had it to do again i would have spent the extra money on a good sound truck.

Edit: holy crap i was tired last night. I wrote the opposite of what i wanted to say.

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Company owned but mods will come.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel

Last edited by Demoh; 08-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Demoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.