1994.5 powerstroke fuel problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1994.5 powerstroke fuel problem

I have a 1994.5 powerstroke that we use as a hay truck, but has been sitting for 2 years and is being driven again. Up until about 3 weeks ago, the truck was running good, didn't smoke while driving or at start up, and now white smokes at start up and when trying to drive has a loss of power, pulling won't get over 3000rpm, and when first being driven will act is if it is about to run out of fuel for about 45 seconds, then pick up to about 1500 rpms for about 30 to 45 seconds, then go back to under a 1000 for another 45 seconds, pick up to 2000rpm, and continue doing this until about an hour after running, and does this everyday. It has 275000+ miles on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
94.5 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
It may be your exhaust back pressure valve sticking closed or closing when it isn't suppose to. It is on the exhaust side of the turbo and you can disconnect the electrical side of it by unplugging the electrical connector to it. Also you can check the fuel pressure on the side on the drivers side of the filter housing with a air pressure type of gage. Just wrap the gage with a rag so that you don't take a diesel bath. You should see between 40 and 50 psi.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a fuel problem. Bad fuel, dirty fuel filter, or water in the fuel.
crguy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I've replaced the fuel filter less than a 1000 miles ago and the fuel in the truck now is better then what was in it when i started driving it again a little over a month ago. All the fuel is coming from the local station and there hasn't been any complaints recently about the fuel at that station. I've also wondered, but I'm honestly hoping its not, but if the valves on the injectors are stuck open or if the injectors are just bad and need replaced. There's also no fuel leaks on or around the engine, but i do realize that doesn't mean anything since we've had air leaks in the lines on our idi ford diesels. Thanks again for the help with troubleshooting and will try the turbo and fuel pressure.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your rpm descriptions indicate an automatic transmission, since rpm with a manual transmission is dependent on gear selected and vehicle speed. Unless of course the clutch is slipping, in which case you have other problems too. So assuming, that it is an automatic transmission, you either don't have a PS/DIT 7.3, or your truck is actually 95+.

Don't worry, it's highly doubtful your problem is with the injectors. Far more likely water/dirt in fuel or a CPS acting up(though it would be unusual in this manner).
Bernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

The truck is a 5 speed manual, 4wd, powerstroke, and i'm sure of this since we have several idi ford diesels and this is the only truck we have with the heui system and the door mfg date is 05/94. I just had the transmission out this weekend and the clutch is good. when driving for the first hour and the pedal is held all the way down, doesn't slip, just loses rpms, then gains rpms, loses some more rpms after a while and does that until its been driving for a while and even after that has a lack of power. And this is all without a load or pulling anything.
1985 Ford F250, 6.9L, auto 3sp, 4wd, single cab
1986 Ford F250 6.9L, 4 speed, 2wd, ext. cab, long bed
1991 Ford F250 7.3IDI, 5 speed, 4wd, single cab
2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LS1, all stock but slp upgrades
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Boy, that must be interesting to drive to say the least. I don't think I could stand it. Been more than one person thinking it's a HUEI engine in a 94 but with an autotranny - doesn't exist(at least not officially).

Does it idle evenly? If the engine rocks at all, it's not even though it may still sound okay.

Has the programming ever been updated? The original programming didn't allow for real time scanning(was OBD I compatible - not OBD II as the updated is). Is this a superduty and/or flatbed? If so, how many tanks? Thinking it might be gunked pickup - I have this issue off & on on another vehicle of mine(dirty replacement tank on it & haven't gotten around to really cleaning it).

If the white smoke goes away within a minute or so, I would suspect GPR or the glow plugs. Measure the resistance of the outer pins on the valve cover gasket connectors to ground. S/B ~.6 ohm - more than 1 indicates problems with either the wiring, or the gp itself dying. While, you're measing that, you may as well measure the resistance between the center pin and that right next to it. S/B 2-3 ohms IRRC definitly not more than 4. More than that warrants looking at the wiring under the valve cover - before suspecting injector solenoid issues.

You ever check the pressure like bugman suggested?
Bernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's not a super duty, and has dual tanks, and as far as i know it still has the original programming. It seems to idle fine, but when it drops rpms everytime, it white smokes pretty bad and clears up when the rpms pick back up. I'm planning on checking the pressures when I'm near the truck this weekend but I haven't messed with much on it yet.
1985 Ford F250, 6.9L, auto 3sp, 4wd, single cab
1986 Ford F250 6.9L, 4 speed, 2wd, ext. cab, long bed
1991 Ford F250 7.3IDI, 5 speed, 4wd, single cab
2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LS1, all stock but slp upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.