1995 7.3 low oil pressure indicated ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 7.3 low oil pressure indicated ?

I have been getting a erratic reading on my dash gash gauge. I changed the sender and for a month it looked normal again 250K on the unit. It sounds and runs good. It is kinda creepy to watch the gauge go so far to the left? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
tommygene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
try a new sending unit or better yet put a real OP gauge on it the factory one is just a on -off switch
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygene View Post
I have been getting a erratic reading on my dash gash gauge. I changed the sender and for a month it looked normal again 250K on the unit. It sounds and runs good. It is kinda creepy to watch the gauge go so far to the left? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
You can't go by the dash gage...they don't call them idiot gages for nothing. I have both...the dash and a real oil pressure gage. Like you I have changed the oil pressure sending unit several time just to have the dash gage read low again...and again...and again...so with the real oil pressure gage I can see what is really going on...everything reads as it should even when the dash gage has decided to take another nose drive . So my advise is if you are worried about your oil pressure readings then get a real pressure gage so you'll know if there is a real problem or not.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster and inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oil gauge vs/ oil sender

Can I install the oil pressure gauge in the same port as the sender? or is there a alternate site so you can use both?
1995 and lovinit
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Can I install the oil pressure gauge in the same port as the sender? or is there a alternate site so you can use both?
1995 and lovinit
I think most people install their aftermarket sending units on the oil filter housing assembly. There is a pressure port there that works well. If you want to install it on the HPOP unit I would remove the square head screw that one would remove to view the HPOP oil level and install it there instead of removing the stock sending unit. There is another location just aft of the oil filter housing assembly on the block. You'll see a flat spot on the back edge of the block with a screw in it. That works too...

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster and inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks alot. Like most of us I'm busier that a one legged man in a lower section kicking contest.... again thanks for the heads up. btw what would be normal op for a middle of the road 7.3 psd
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
btw what would be normal op for a middle of the road 7.3 psd
Are you asking a question here because if so I am not sure what you want to know.

Griz
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes ? nominal oil pressure on this unit? Is there a "too Low" number.
I don't have knocking. Just a stupid up and down gauge reading
Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes ? nominal oil pressure on this unit? Is there a "too Low" number. I don't have knocking. Just a stupid up and down gauge reading
Ford says minimal is 10 psi at idle and 40-70 psi maximum at 3300 rpms. I believe they are assuming your oil is at operating temperatures and you are taking the readings off the HPOP. Anyway where I have mine...I read 15 psi at idle and 38 psi at normal driving rpms and oil at operating temperatures. My sender unit is mounted on the block behind the oil filter housing assembly. I have one of my bypass lines on the oil filter assembly pressure port. You'll see a big difference in pressure readings depending on oil temperature. Not to worry this is normal. Where as your dash gage will read the same no matter what the oil temperature is.

Griz
Old 05-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks so much . I 'm off to the parts store for the gauge.
Tom
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

By the way Griz. With the super chip what kind of milage do you get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.