The Diesel Stop banner

1995 7.3 won't stay running

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  luevanossjr 
#1 ·
This problem started several months ago, truck would cut out while going down the road. I replaced CPS with auto zone sensors several times finally got one from ford and that problem stopped. Then the truck would at times stumble like it was running out of fuel and at times shut down but would crank back with a little cranking. Went out to warm it up one morning and it had Been running about 15 min and it started stumbling and shut down, again it started back up but would run good for a few seconds then it would run real rough like shaking the whole truck for a few seconds, it will go back and forth between running smooth and rough a few times then shut down. I've replaced the CPS again with a ford dealer sensor and replaced the idm with a known good spare I had to rule it out. I checked the fuel pressure at the bowl and it bounces between 15-20 psi at idle. No Cel at any time during this whole ordeal. Fuel tanks are both a 1/4, my wife usually drove this truck and for some reason only wanted to put $10-$15 of fuel in it at a time. I'm thinking I may have a problem with the fuel pickups in the tanks but wanted to throw this out for some ideas. This is my first post on here so bear with me.

#2 ·
I'm not one of the smarter fellas on here,but I believe you should have a higher fuel pressure than that. Somewhere over 45 maybe.

#3 ·
OBS trucks have a mechanical fuel pump, so that reading is most likely good. It will fluctuate because the diaphragm is pulsing- pulling then pushing fuel.

You might try filling the tanks to at least 1/2 way to rule out broken pick-ups and maybe sucking air.

#4 ·
The fuel pressure you gave seems a little low to me as well, next time it stumbles and dies, just turn the key off and check to see how much fuel is the fuel housing and if it is low, I would suspect the fuel pump.
Have you ever replaced or had replaced the fuel pump on top end of valley just under the turbo ??

#6 ·
Is the truck running a chip?

To me it sounds like 1 of 2 things. If it has a chip, it is working itself loose, causing the stumble and stalling. It also sounds like the symptoms of a failing under valve cover harness..

#7 ·
Speak of the devil, it happened to me last night! My truck's engine would be shaky and doesn't feel right at all.

Not sure if CPS will cure this problem. I had replaced fuel pump in 2004 for the same reason - leaking the fuel over the valley.

When I start the engine, it would run okay but little shaky. So I pressed the fuel pedal, it won't do anything, not even rev'd up at all.

I had replaced the fuel filter since it needed new one anyway.

Any idea here?

#8 ·
It hasn't had a chip in years, however I was think the uvch also because in the last three years i've went through 3 idm's. It will be this weekend before I can try anything. On the uvch is there any way to check them? I've looked for burnt pins where they plug in at the valve covers and everything looks good there.

#9 ·
For burnt pins on the valve cover gaskets, there will be CEL lit up randomly as I had seen this on my truck. If that doesn't happen, your valve cover gaskets are still good.

If I actually have a bad IDM, that would cause the engine NOT to rev'd up at all?

Not sure if it is TPS that got busted....

#10 ·
Updated: Got my truck back home. It runs fine but blowing lot of white smoke. So I am going to search in this forum for "white smoke" issues. Hope nothing major.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.