1996 F350 tranny shifting hard - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 1996 F350 tranny shifting hard

I have a 1996 F350 4x4..the o/d light will start blinking and the tranny will start shifting hard..super chip diag code p1728..I can clear the code and it will run fine for 1/2 day or so then repeat.. leaking some fluid.. any suggestions??? I read something about a modulator valve but don't know if it applies here..Thanks Walker
rack ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
There's no modulator valve on your transmission.

Most likely your torque converter clutch has failed. When it starts to slip the PCM sees that, sets a code (P1728), flashes the OD light, and puts the trans in high line pressure mode to help prevent more damage. The high line pressure causes harsh shifts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Mark..this problem started about 4 months ago and I've been resetting the code and continuing to drive it..even pulling trailors with it ( I know I know)..does your diagnosis still fit ??? and if so do I just replace the converter ??Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
There's no modulator valve on your transmission.

Most likely your torque converter clutch has failed. When it starts to slip the PCM sees that, sets a code (P1728), flashes the OD light, and puts the trans in high line pressure mode to help prevent more damage. The high line pressure causes harsh shifts.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Get it in to a tranny shop quick and have them install a heavy duty triple clutch TC. Like Mark K said it is your TC slipping. If you wait to long it will contaminate the entire tranny and you will need a full rebuild. This may be the case already but if it just started, you may be able to get away with just putting in a new TC. I have been where you are and went a long time with just changing the TC.
Just don't put in another plain stock TC. The trannys are the week point in these trucks and the stock TC is the week point of these trannys, (at least one of the main week points).

97 F250 XLT SuperCab LB E4OD
Mod's: Tony Wildman 4 page chip, Stealth HPOP, Beans fuel system, JoeServo high voltage IDM, Swamps 175/173 injectors, Hypermax H2E turbo and inter-cooler, open element air filter, Down pipe, open exhaust, exiting in front of rear wheel, with dynomax bullet race muffler. Home made, dual stage, Propane system, ATS TripleLoc billet steel Torque converter. Imperial Shift Kit, BD PressureLok. Mag-Hytec tranny pan and rear cover, ARB air locker in the rear. Cervinis Fiberglass ram air hood ,(part # 112). 4" Superlift lift kit, Air lift air bags with Smart air auto leveling system in the rear, Full instrumentation, Grant steering wheel, on board air system. Putco skins stainless bed rail/tailgate covers. Stainless Nerf bars. Billet front grill and clear lenses all the way around.
My Truck Pic's
Invader1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Any other opinions ??? will the tc problem show up on a diagnostic test?? Walker
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
The torque converter problem should show up if the tech has the proper tools and knows what he's doing.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Vehicle speed sensor is bad, wires to it or bad or the damn gear wheel in the rear diff is missing teeth. I replaced my vss, and the wires. my problem is in the rear end. it puts the trans in limp mode and makes it shift hard. You may notice the mph guage bouncing after 60mph if this is the case.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.