1997 7.3 PSD intermittent severe missing and power loss - Page 5 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #61 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 1997 7.3 PSD intermittent severe missing and power loss, new symptoms and info

Bill807 ,,,Where do you live ,& what are the temps there,,Try plugging the block heater in & see what happens.

Madvan ,Bill might be on to something.....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 1997 7.3 PSD intermittent severe missing and power loss, new symptoms and info

Yes, this problem is hard to follow I had a problem starting the truck after the original symptoms appeared. I think they are related. I could usually crank the truck over several times and eventually it would start. Sometimes letting it sit would then let it start. The start problem was at either a cold or warm temperature.

However, the oil was changed and a new fuel filter put it. It would not start after that, so the IPR was replaced. No difference......no start. Fuses, relays, connectors checked OK. IDM was swapped out and still no effect. Oh, tach would not register when trying to start ( new problem). Sure seems like a fuel problem.

To summarize: Engine would randomly and intermittently have a power loss to where the engine would only go 40 MPH when running on a 65 mph road. Hard start cold and hot. If problem acted up while stopped, could not get enough power to go up a small short grade. One time it acted up and tach would only go from 1K to 1500 RPM at about 1 second intervals. Truck sat over night, started fine and ran fine. In all failure modes the CEL usually came on. Sometimes it would run for a few days fine, and then act up for a few days. Problem seemed to get progressively worse.

CPS replaced, UVC replaced, glow plugs replaced, IPR replaced. IDM swapped in and out.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #63 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

[ QUOTE ]
the oil was changed and a new fuel filter put it. It would not start after that,

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tach would not register when trying to start ( new problem). Sure seems like a fuel problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

CPS replaced, UVC replaced, glow plugs replaced, IPR replaced. IDM swapped in and out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a wire harness problem, doesn't the cps wiring run up the front of the engine and through the valley next to the fuel bowl?

Any chance it was bad and you disturbed it further when changing the filter? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #64 (permalink)

Yes, it could be and I'll re-check that area of the harness again. I've been thinking that maybe I should replace the harness, but can't put my finger on an area where it "looks" bad.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #65 (permalink)

Try plugging it in.....

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #66 (permalink)

"Try plugging it in....." Please clarify, not sure what you mean. CPS? heater?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #67 (permalink)

Sorry ,, the block heater ....

Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #68 (permalink)

When it acted up in the past ( no start), it seemed to start more often when cold and sitting over night. Cold being maybe 60 degrees. I tried plugging it in and sometimes it would start, and sometimes not. Starting did not appear to be a function of temperature.....So, plugging it in didn't seem to affect starting....in general.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #69 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

If your not getting any tach signal its not going to start.

You may want to try another new cps, and ohm the wires from the cps plug to the pcm.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #70 (permalink)

Looks like the problem(s) might have been found. Replaced PCM and truck started, but the CPS error code was still there. CPS replaced (again)and code cleared......so I will do an update in a few days for the benefit of others.

I really appreciate all the outstanding suggestions I got here.......
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #71 (permalink)

Glad to hear ....

Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #72 (permalink)

Well, indeed it appears to be a bad PCM which was blowing the cam sensor. Not a typical problem and a challenge to fix.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #73 (permalink)

1996 7.3 PSD (F-350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
1997 7.3 PSD, 140,000 miles. Intermittent problem of severe missing and loss of power. Check engine light comes on. Code indicated CPS problem and that was replaced with no change in symptoms. Glow plugs changed and under valve cover wiring "harnesses" replaced and still having the same symptoms. The 2 front connectors had signs of being burnt. Buzz test OK.
Any ideas??
I'm a 7.3 PSD owner and I seem to have the same symptoms on my deisel (missing on cylinder). When I get it started it runs rough (valve Knock, definite power loss).
I trouble shot all the sensors, ICM, Fuel, and Fuel filer. I haven't gotten into any work, but I am targeting the glow plugs first. It started durring Dec (cold months). It used to be intermittent, now it's pretty solid. The Truck has 250K mi on it (previously owned). So I am betting the glow blugs will solve the problem.
I picked up the plugs. My problem is that I am inexperienced with working on this truck. I don't even know where the darn glow plugs are. I am familiar with desil engine theory, I just need some guidance at how to get to them before I start.
Any help would be grand.
airforcewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #74 (permalink)
Nit

My Photos: (3)
if you did not change teh valve cover gasket as well as the wirign harness then thats your problem, many times teh gasket is screwed up inside teh connector you cant "test" it or see it.
Sold to JCart , 1997 F250 FireTruck Red,CC SB,auto( Presicion TC, HD-2Tugger),5" exhaust, Swamp 140cc injectors, TWildman 4-pos chip,open air cleaner, I/C w Banks intake, ,AIC,dual electric fans,Sky mfg RSK w/ D60w/ARB locker,she's well taken care of now pictures
2004 Dodge 3500 twin turbo 525hp rocket
Nit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.