1997 F350 Overdrive Light Flashing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 F350 Overdrive Light Flashing

1997 F350 4X4 - 7.3 TURBO NAVISTAR

SYMPTOMS:

Found a pinhole in the return transmission line that runs from the passenger side of the tranny to the bottom of the main radiator. Replaced the tranny line, filled trans fluid.Start engine and the overdrive light on the shift lever blinks steadily.

The truck shifts harder than normal from 1st to 2nd.
The speedometer works fine.
With the O/D light blinking , The overdrive button DOES work and DOES shift the truck in and out of overdrive at high speeds.

I plugged a basic code reader into the plug below the ashtray inside the cab and got no codes.

One kind member here suggested I swap the #1 square relay ( under the hood) with the #3 relay because he had the same symptoms and his #1 relay was bad. My relays are all good as are all my fuses in the cab and under the hood.

Autozone tells me they can not read transmission codes.

I have scoured this site to find any help , and was going to do a self test with a test light to get trouble codes but cannot find the plug to hook the jumpers to.

Before I get financially assalted at the FORD dealer, I am hoping to narrow this problem down with the help from all you highly educated Ford techs here.

Thanks in advance !
PAGE2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey man, sounds like your transmission is entering some sort of a failure-management mode, however I can't really tell what's going on as when out ('88-'94) transmissions do that they only have 2nd and OD (which is different from what you're seeing) and I also remember Mark Kowalsky mentioning something about '96-up E4ODs not even having the same limp-mode designed in them.

One thing I can come up with off the top of my head is the torque converter - when you're in OD, doe the trans stay in there steady, or does it feel like it's going in and out of OD like it's hunting for gears? I'm thinking when you ran low on ATF you may have burned up the clutch inside the converter, and now it's slipping and the PCM feels that and ramps up the line pressure in an attempt to reduce slipping (which also results in harder shifts), and at the same time flashes the OD light to notify you of the issue. The TCC will however throw a code (#62, methinks), so I dunno, are you sure you're reading the codes correctly?

Oh, and by the way, your '97 is a PSD engine, we mostly work with IDIs here in this forum, the IDI is also a 7.3 Navistar engine but it's older than yours and also totally different in design. You may have better luck getting your questions aswered correctly here:
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com
or maybe here:
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My engine is an International 7.3 turbo -DI Navistar
Navistar 7.3L OHV DI TC V8 DSL
Production date 10/1996

Which I thought was NOT a powerstroke, educate me please if I am wrong.

I attached a code reader to the plug under the ashtray and got no codes.

The truck runs through ALL gears , including overdrive , and only shifts hard from 1st to 2nd.

And, the O/D light flashes all the time.

My thinking is that the speed sensor is not the issue ( replaced 2 yrs ago )
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

POWERSTROKE or NOT overdrive problem

1997 F350 4x4 turbo diesel

My engine is an International 7.3 turbo -DI Navistar
Navistar 7.3L OHV DI TC V8 DSL
Production date 10/1996

Please tell me if this a POWERSTROKE ??

If so ... heres my problem -

Found a pinhole in the return transmission line that runs from the passenger side of the tranny to the bottom of the main radiator. Replaced the tranny line, filled trans fluid.Start engine and the overdrive light on the shift lever blinks steadily.

The truck shifts harder than normal from 1st to 2nd.
The speedometer works fine.

With the O/D light blinking , The overdrive button DOES work and DOES shift the truck in and out of overdrive at high speeds.
I plugged a basic code reader into the plug below the ashtray inside the cab and got no codes.

One kind member here suggested I swap the #1 square relay ( under the hood) with the #3 relay because he had the same symptoms and his #1 relay was bad. My relays are all good as are all my fuses in the cab and under the hood.

Autozone tells me they can not read transmission codes.
I have scoured this site to find any help , and was going to do a self test with a test light to get trouble codes but cannot find the plug to hook the jumpers to.

Before I get financially assalted at the FORD dealer, I am hoping to narrow this problem down with the help from all you highly educated Ford techs here.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
S95

YES, your motor is a POWERSTOKE. first "Powerstrokes" appeared mid way thru 1994 modle year.

did you have any OD light issues before you replaced the line with the pin hole leak?

Have you tried pulling the fuse to the computer to se if a "reset" makes the light go away?
CUSTOM RUNNING BOARDS
SD STARTER
STANDENS FULL 3 LEAF FRONT SPRINGS
1990 25th Anniversary 5.0 GT
2012 F150 4X4 supercab longbox HDPKG 5.0
S95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Unless someone swapped in a Navistar engine you have a Power Stroke. Navistar builds the diesel engines for Ford. They put an International/Navistar sticker on the valve cover as the manufacturer of the engine. Ford introduced the Power Stroke in 1994 as a mid year addition, since 1995 Ford has not provided anything but the Power Stroke in various displacements and such in light duty trucks.

Moved to the 94-97 Power Stroke forum. Mine is not an auto and I am not familiar with auto tranny work. Someone here will chime in very soon, I am sure.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (61)
The descriptions in the two threads started for this topic are a bit different, I merged both threads so there would be as much information as possible to get PAGE2004 the proper help as soon as possible. From this point it will be one thread.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had no flashing overdrive light or transmission problems before the pinhole corroded trans line was discovered.

I am going to check the 3rd brake light above the rear window since Ive read that a burnt light there can cause a trans code indication.

Also , I will double check the ATF fluid and make sure its where it should be.

Finally I will remove the #9 fuse - wait 20 minutes and re-insert.

Then , I will close my eyes and do a Gregorian chant ...Nah..scratch that last one.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
S95

hey the last one might be the ticket!
CUSTOM RUNNING BOARDS
SD STARTER
STANDENS FULL 3 LEAF FRONT SPRINGS
1990 25th Anniversary 5.0 GT
2012 F150 4X4 supercab longbox HDPKG 5.0
S95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

do you have a dome light??

if not then replace fuse if blown

codes for trans. can be read may be a shift solenoid or another electrical problem

if not electrical then mechanical and problemly time for a rebuilt trans.

give bts a call ask about their warranty the best
1997 F 350 4X4, idm mod, wide open performance GQSSB turbo, stage 2` s by bean` s, intercooler, 4" no muffler, stack, trans from brians truck shop rear, disk brakes, and a stecher stage 1 hpop 6 position chip with bean` s programs crane valae springs, air dog lift pump and electric fuel pump and regulatorand water methonal injection
edieedie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Vehicle Speed sensor

Check Wiring in the vehicle harness to vehicle speed sensor on top of rear diff. I have a feeling that the replaced line and Failure mode effects management (FMEM), or is it called Hardware limited operation strategy (HLOS), anyhow are not related. Try removing and cleaning the surface of the VSS and cleaning the contacts on plug and harness.

When the truck goes into lock up mode the PCM compares engine speed to trans output speed or Vehicle speed based on what gear the truck is in (lock up can occur in 3rd or 4th). If either of these deviate from known values written into the PCMs logic (ie what vehicle speed should be seen @ what rpm in lockup) what you are describing will happen.
juggernaut150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

I appreciate all the knowledge given on this tranny issue.

Ive reset the codes by disconnecting the batteries .... and for now the truck runs perfect.

I will be installing a new larger trans cooler and applying all the suggestions given here , in the very near future.

Thanks again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.