1997 Ford 7.3 liter very bag gas mileage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Ford 7.3 liter very bag gas mileage

I have just purchased a 1997 Ford f-250 with 225K on it. trans was rebuilt at 180k and the truck runs out great no check engine lights on or anything like that. but the owner said I should be getting around 18-20 mpg. I have 2 tanks and have burned through one tank and 1/4 of the rear tank and have only gone 289 miles. something is wrong but there are no fuel leaks that I can see and the engine is running great. it doesn't smoke at all and there is no blow by when you pull the oil cap from the valve cover. it has plenty of power and pick up. were should I start looking? I have never owned a desiel engine before. Please help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
clayton97fordtruck
Claytondinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1997 Ford 7.3 liter very bag gas mileage

You're not going to get 18-20. Not in the city anyway. I was told that too and when I checked it, I was around 12-14 when the truck was stock. I've since added a superchip and a tymar intake and it's up to @ 17 now in town. I've never teken a road trip with it so I can't relay any experiences there. It's not exactly an economical vehicle, but it is fun.
abruchey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you,

How do I obtain the chip and air intake? were is the best place to purchase these things.
Clayton
Claytondinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

With the winter fuel in mine, I get 15-16 on strictly highway driving under 70 mph. If it is a mix of intown and a lot of hard stop and go I get down in the 12 mpg range. It all depends on how heavy your foot is. I have gotten 20 mpg before just putting around. It sure beats my 454 though.

91 F-250 4x4,7.3, 5-spd, Banks Turbo, 4.10's, 211k miles
East Central KS
classy_gene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since you're new to the truck, make sure you're filling up both tanks all the way, sometimes they foam up pretty quick and seem to be full...also tire size? gears?
Good luck, you'll like the truck
1997 F250 4x4 extra cab 5 speed manual w/6" Tuff Country lift, 35" tires, Superlift Superrunner Steering System, AFE Stage 2 Intake, 4" exhaust w/downpipe no cat or muffler, EGT and boost gauges, 1.0 turbo housing from Dale, 60hp DP Tuner chip!
Brandonizr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

when I bought my used 97 I got 11 to 13 mpg for 10,000 miles, thinkng that was normal, THEN I changed the downpipe to the 3' round and gutted cat and instantly I got 18 to 20 mpg on roadtrips and have been getting that on several 3000 mile trips.
1997 F-350 7.3 PSD XLT crewcab longbed, 4.10s limited slip, 4 wheel drive with WARN manual hubs, auto trans, 120,900 miles, (bought in 2004 with 92K) Centurian model except exterior visor removed and tossed, truck leveled by lowering rear leaf springs 3 inches so this old man can climb into the bed, matching topper shell and wrap around KargoMaster ladder rack, front push bar and front hitch, and it goes faster because it is red.
TYMAR air, 3 inch magnaflow down pipe.

sometimes pulling a 20 foot Interstate 10K enclosed car hauler, 18 foot 10K flatbed, or 18 foot boat.

1977 Ford F-250 2wd, 60 K original miles, 400 cid
1988 S-10 Blazer, daily driver
my toy on the farm- 1950 Ferguson TO-20 tractor
PetePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Holy crap. I don't know what I am doing different. If I drive mine say at 90k's (50-55MPH) and keep my foot out of it on the highway I have goten up to 25.8 MPG.

All I have is the cat removed, Performance Muffler, 3" DP and K&N. I did have the Bully chip But I sent it back and am going to get TW chip soon. The Bully chip did set me just over 26 MPG.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of showin up safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, hunting rifle in one hand and shifter knob in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
scadamso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had my mechanic put in the bigger downpipe out of the turbo as well as the superchip. The chip's cool and fun, but on the highest setting of 110 hp, your mpgs go as fast as the speedometer. I keep it on the lowest setting (60hp)It runs better that way in the mroning when cold anyway...
The tymar intake came from beans diesel in murfreesboro tennessee per recomendation of Tim Miller, a contributer to this forum. That I put in myself and it took @ 20 minutes. I don't have tools or time and nowhere near the patience to do most of the stuff to these things so I wuss out and head to the mechanic. This forum, however, has been a fantastic source of knowledge for me as this is my first diesel. Folks are cool and ready to help.
1995 F350 7.3 PSD Turbo Crew Cab long bed with factory Regency Conversion. @197k miles. Downpipe, 3 way Superchip, Tymar intake, 35" Toyo open country tires, wheels, and high pressure fuel pump modification. Texas legal exhaust

abruchey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have a "97 4X4 Crew cab w/4.11 differentials and I get 15.8 in town and about 17 on the road at 72 and below!
przero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap. I don't know what I am doing different. If I drive mine say at 90k's (50-55MPH) and keep my foot out of it on the highway I have goten up to 25.8 MPG.

All I have is the cat removed, Performance Muffler, 3" DP and K&N. I did have the Bully chip But I sent it back and am going to get TW chip soon. The Bully chip did set me just over 26 MPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems a bit high to me. I would be checking my speedometer calibration if I were you. Although I WILL add that I could be wrong because I never drive at 50-55 MPH for very far. Mine might get up that high if I slowed down. I can get upwards of 22-22.5 at 70-75 MPH, but I've got 3:55 gears and I KNOW my speedo is not right so I'm not really getting that high a milage. When I get new tires soon, I'm going to do the speedometer.
Chris
1996 F250 XL 4X4 Automatic, 3:55 gears, Regular cab. Cruise control mod. Big tranny cooler. Autometer Phantom boost, pyro and tranny temp guages. Hypermax downpipe. Homemade open air intake. TS 6 position chip. Sonnax valve and tricumulator springs. Billit torque converter. 215,000 miles so far.

REAL TRUCKS DON'T WEAR BOW TIES !!

My Pictures
WorkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have just purchased a 1997 Ford f-250 with 225K on it. trans was rebuilt at 180k and the truck runs out great no check engine lights on or anything like that. but the owner said I should be getting around 18-20 mpg. I have 2 tanks and have burned through one tank and 1/4 of the rear tank and have only gone 289 miles. something is wrong but there are no fuel leaks that I can see and the engine is running great. it doesn't smoke at all and there is no blow by when you pull the oil cap from the valve cover. it has plenty of power and pick up. were should I start looking? I have never owned a desiel engine before. Please help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
clayton97fordtruck

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading this right, (I've been known to not, so bear with me), you haven't filled up yet to see how many gallons you've actually burned? You need to do that first before you jump to the conclusion that "something is wrong." My front gauge is inoperative so I switch to the rear at 200 (good round figure I can remember) and go from there. If you switched over somewhere near that, or before, 89 miles on the rear tank is 4 gallons at 15 mpg, which would make it read down about a 1/4 tank........all hypothetical of course......but the point being you are not outside the realm of realistic fuel mileage, especially for city driving.

Check your mileage after a few fillups and see what you get. As mentioned above, there are certainly some things to do to get better fuel mileage out of these beasts, but there might not be anything "wrong" with yours as it sits.

Dan
97 F250, SC, LB, 4x4, 7.3 PSD,E4OD, 4.10, Autometer Gauges Warn Manuals, Tru-cool 4590. Tymar Intake. Super Duty Driving Lights. 285/75/16 Pro Comp A/T's, DIY Tow Hooks.Canvas Soft Topper. DPP downpipe. A work in progress.pics
BEECHBM69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

We need way more information to tell you if that even sounds right.
Axle ratio makes a big difference as does body style, trans.,what you are carrying in it, how you drive & the actually MPG you are getting.
Go to the fuel station & FILL both your tanks as full as you can get them. Write down the mileage And set your trip odometer. Drive until both tanks are close to EMPTY. Go fill them BOTH back up as full as you can get them. Write down the mileage & the amount of fuel in gallons you took to fill it up. Subtract the mileage figure from your first fill up from the mileage of your second fill up. That figure is how far you have driven between fill ups & should match your odometer reading at that time. Divide the mileage between fill ups by the number of gallons you put in your truck at the second fill up. That will give you the MPG (Miles Per Gallon) you got on that fill up. Post your numbers here & we can tell you more.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Holy crap is right...what do you have there, an engine ,trans & a seat, or do you have an entire truck that gets 26 MPG.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

scadamso, are you figuring that in mpg or kmpg, I noticed that you were from way up in the North Land and didn't know if your truck odometer was in miles or kilometers. Just a thought, if you are getting that good of mileage do you want to sell your truck? LOL

91 F-250 4x4,7.3, 5-spd, Banks Turbo, 4.10's, 211k miles
East Central KS
classy_gene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you are using US gallons. Sometimes Canadians use imperial gallons instead of US gallons. That'll boost the mpg by 20%...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.