1997 Ford Powerstroke diesel IDM Module Problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Ford Powerstroke diesel IDM Module Problems

Hello, I have a 1997 Ford International 7.3 liter powerstroke diesel. I have been having problems with it so I took it to the shop, and they said it was
the IDM Module. Does anyone know what that is, or where it is located??
I would like to fix it myself if possible, Thanks.
safesidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IDM/PCM pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

What are the symptoms ?..

IDM 's on ebay all the time $ 2-300.00
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Welcome to the forum, safesidegirl!

The injector driver module provides the high voltage (120V or so) to activate the injectors to inject the fuel when commanded by the truck's computer. It is the silver box just under the driver's side hood hinge. Any IDM from a 7.3L Powerstroke engine will work and replacement is easy. If you have the time to hunt on ebay, you can find them for cheap (at least you used to be able to ... I've got two spares that I paid $50 each for a few years ago). A lot of times the IDM gets blamed for other problems such as burned/melted injector/glowplug wiring harnesses, but they can go bad due to water leakage or burned internal electronics. As Rick mentioned above, are there particular symptoms your truck was exhibiting? Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Idm

I was lucky and took my truck to the local ford dealer and paid $834 yes eight hundred and thirty four dollars american. Plus $300 for diagnosis and instalation. Be sure and not go to ford to purchase an IDM. I took my first and last lession about the local ford dealer. Just for your info if you did not already know.
1997 F250 PS 4 wheel drive John Wood towmaster tranny with Tru-cool tranny cooler and second Summitt tranny cooler with pusher fan on at 175 degrees, tranny temp gauge 4:10 gears aluminum diff cover with royal purple supercab flat bed, stancor glo plug relay, factory aluminum rims Firestone ride rite airbags rear 430,600 miles. 2002 F350 PS 4 wheel drive, 133,000 miles. Stock. Will be adding to make it my road tow vehicle to Vegas. Just added 31 row 6.0 cooler with Isspro tranny temp gauge and steering column mount.
dennis11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

( Symptoms= Feels like its running on only 2 0r 3 cylinders. Rough riding, feels like It's not going to make it home, not much power.)

Thank you all so much for all the information!! It has been a great help.
I have located the IDM Module and am going to try and fix it now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!! Have a great day.
safesidegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by safesidegirl View Post
( Symptoms= Feels like its running on only 2 0r 3 cylinders. Rough riding, feels like It's not going to make it home, not much power.)

Thank you all so much for all the information!! It has been a great help.
I have located the IDM Module and am going to try and fix it now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!! Have a great day.
Are you getting a check engine light ?..

Before you spend alot on an IDM ,it may be worth having the scanned & a buzz test for codes...
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

IDM Location

I have an 03 Excursion with a bad IDM. I have been told by several different people, the module is

1 under the hinge on the drivers side
2 I have to remove the wheel well on the drivers side to find it
3 it is attached to a valve cover

I have even removed the battery and air filter assembly to see if it was under it.

Did Ford hide it somewhere special on the Excursion?

Thanks
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
I have an 03 Excursion with a bad IDM. I have been told by several different people, the module is

1 under the hinge on the drivers side
2 I have to remove the wheel well on the drivers side to find it
3 it is attached to a valve cover

I have even removed the battery and air filter assembly to see if it was under it.

Did Ford hide it somewhere special on the Excursion?

Thanks
on superdutys and ex's it is located in #2.
on the obs it is location 1
and on a 6.0 it is in 3
Dads ride 2002 Dodge 24v, dual exhaust, edge comp hot box. tst 40 hp injectors,Piers B-1 turbo dipricol white face a pillar gauges, Suncoast triple disc and valve body occasionally he lets me drive it. 393 rwhp, 807 ftlbs
1996 F-350 CC swr, long bed , 4x4 PSD zf-5, 260k.Swamped, 5" black stacks, dipricol gauges, 30+PSI boost, DP tuner chip, 349rwhp.
95 PSD project fixes it up and then sold it
03 7.3 4R100 4x2(for now) 240k stock cept for duals 20th aniversary edition.
early 99 CC Dually,
finallygotanIDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, it was behind the wheel well

I was hoping it was in an easier location. I had to remove the running board and the clips for the fender flair to get at the wheel well.
Soundguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.