7.3 exhaust manifold gasket leak/replacement??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 exhaust manifold gasket leak/replacement???

I have a 95 7.3 in a f450 2wd I just got done putting a new stock turbo on it and noticed the exhaust manifols had leaks on both rear cylinders.After I installed the new turbo it seems to be lacking the power that it use to have,and I can hear the exhaust leak getting louder and louder under a load pulling a trailer.Will I have to pull the engine to change the gaskets?Also wondering if the bolts on these come out easy or break off like common ford motors in the past?would these leaks cause a noticable power loss?thanks for any info
outlaws51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Re: 7.3 exhaust manifold gasket leak/replacement???

When the motor was originally assembled at the factory they didn't use manifold gaskets, but they are available.

The manifolds can be removed without pulling the engine. The inner fender can be loosened up and pulled out of the way so you can work thru the wheelwells.

Any exhaust that is leaking before the turbo will cause a loose of power because that exhaust is being wasted instead of being used to spool the turbo and build power.

And yes these manifols bolts like to break off in the head. As a matter of fact that could be the source of your leak, is fairly common for them to break even before you get near them with a wrench.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

Here's the factory gasket part numbers (as was mentioned there are no gaskets on them from the factory):

Exhaust Manifold Gasket
(Ford) F4TZ-9448-A
(International) 1814219C1

Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

i'm having the same problem, but its just on my drivers side. How do you remove broke bolts? I don't know if any of mine are broke, but i want to be prepaired before starting the project of fixing it. Also should i buy all new bolts?
96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by Diesel Innovations , Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

Truck pics

Houston Area Powerstrokes
TimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

[ QUOTE ]
When the motor was originally assembled at the factory they didn't use manifold gaskets, but they are available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? The ones I have seen have stainless steel stamped gaskets OE. Maybe they changed somewhere along the line?

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, never has gaskets from the factory.
96' F-250 4x4 SB Crewcab, 3.55 gears, rebuilt E4od, Air bags, 2" leveler kit, 10 disc cd changer, Tymar intake, Tymar 4 pos TS chip, 4590 cooler, boost, pyro(pre-turbo) & tranny temp AutoMeter gauges mounted in pillar, Diamond eye 4" exhaust with lost kitty, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Warn hubs, Prodigy brake controller, Hypermax intercooler, CCV mod,17* HPOP, stage 1 injectors, fpr. Rebuilt tranny with pump and valve body mods, 3 disc torque convertor. Diesel mechanic 20+ years

My Pictures
fourhatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Time for me to pull the manifolds and install gaskets too. Are there any "while you are in there" suggestions you guys recommend? I'm thinking maybe the up/down pipe gaskets at the same time?
huntnphool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.