7.3 won't start when hot - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 won't start when hot

hey there, can anyone help me here? I have a 96 7.3 that will not start when hot but it will fire right up if you compression start it
BANDHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had same problem, ended up replacing the IPR. Also had to clean the chip and PCM service port contacts where the chip plugs in.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
No start when hot is usually an indication of bad IPR (injection pressure regulator) o-rings. You can try that first as it is a lot cheaper than replacing the entire IPR. Here's the part number:

IPR O-Ring Kit (for when IPR valve replacement is not required)
(Ford) F6TZ-9C977-AA
(International) 1825806C92

Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the info. however the fact that it will bump start right away when hot tells me it is still getting fuel. I'm lost here.... why would it still bump start if the o rings are bad?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
The pcm needs to see 500 psi on the icp sensor before it will fire the injectors. If the ipr is faulty or the ipr 0-rings, or other items related to the high pressure oil system are faulty it might not be able to build adequate pressure from the rpms generated by the starter motor alone.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

That definitely sounds like the ipr o-ring issue. My son's 95 had the "won't start when hot" issue. I searched and searched the internet and everything pointed to IPR orings. I told him what it could be but he just had to take to a diesel performance shop. Keep in mind that my kid wants to be a diesel mechanic (he's 17). The owner of this shop hooked it up to his laptop and read a bunch of values and deetermined that the IDM was bad. So, by then the truck was already cooled off, so my son drove it home and commenced to switching IDMs from my 96. Meanwhile, I already called International and had the IPR reseal kit (large o-ring, small o-ring, split o-ring, spacer and nut) waiting on me. I got home and low and behold the 96 IDM had the same result. I handed him the kit, he pulled the IPR out and the small o-ring was split. Cleaned it all up, installed the kit and now she starts every time.
This is my first stop for anything related with any of my trucks. Take the majority consensus and it is usually right.
Just goes to show you that this forum has more knowledge than many believe.
1994.5 F250 SC 5spd 4x4 IDM and ICP mod
bondsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks For The Info On The O Rings. I Pulled It Apart And Found That 1/4 Of The O Ring Was Missing. I Will Be Putting It Back Together Today, Hope That Fixed The Problem. Note To Anyone Who Tries This.... Make Sure You Remove The Entire Fuel Filter Assembly Or You Will Never Get The 1-1/8 Socket On The (ipr) Yes, I Found Out The Hard Way!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think you could use a wrench too. I did mine about a year ago and seems like that was how got it off. I ended up having to replace my entire ipr and I got a new one through blue ridge diesel which was about $100 cheaper than ford or ih. Even though my truck did run better afterwards, that did not fix my problem though as I tested further and found I had an injector o-ring blown out that I had to replace. Just for anyone else who has to go that route.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.

Last edited by sdan27; 11-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.