95 7.3 rough startup - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3 rough startup

i just bought a 95 powerstroke with 133k miles 5spd yesterday and this morning i started it up and had a issue. The truck starts up fine but once it starts its really rough and shakes and seems to be not firing on all cylinders. There is no smoke at all and once you give it alittle gas it clears up. I havent seen how long it will run like that because i dont want to cause any damage so i just give it alittle throttle and it clears it up. Im somewhat new to diesels but ive been a nissan tech for 10 years and know how diesels work but dont have hands on experience yet. Im planning on taking it to work monday and changing all fluids and filters and finding out what the problem is. It starts rough almost every time but drives great and lots of power. I have read a lot of post about this issue but thought id post just incase mine issue is different. If you guys know a good place to start diagnosing the issue i really appreciate it
chrank5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does it kind've "surge" like a top fuel dragster and clear up in 10-15 seconds? Check out posts searching for "the romps". Not sure where it got that name, but that is what guys have taken to calling the surging rpm sounding rough start they will do from time to time. Clean oil will help. Mine does it from time to time and I wonder if it isn't catching and starting before the high pressure oil is up to proper pressure and causing some poor firing injectors.
AaronSEIA

97 F350 4 door dually, E4OD, DIY intake
only exhaust is stock DP
flatbed
gutless wonder, I want my 94 back!!!
AaronSEIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kwcat Send a message via Yahoo to kwcat
Do an oil change first and also replace fuel filter, see what it does from there!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
As the others have said check the oil. How long has it been run since the last oil change?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm unsure on the interval but tomorrow it's getting fuel filter and an oil change ill let you guys know if it helps.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Put some clean diesel in it with some stanadyne, you going to use Delo or Rotella for oil change? change atf in that zf5 and transfer case too. I would also go get some coolant test strips

92 F250 4x4 Ext Cab 7.3
Oregonroper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Was gonna use delo this time just because the guy gave me 3 gallons of it. Coolant was just done 8k ago from the records that are in the truck with an addative from ford. I also plan on doing the trans and rear diff (2wd) and I will look into the fuel addatives( any recommendations?). Also it's bone stock so I'm gonna look at some 4" exhaust kits and the filter mod to open it up a bit. Have records of ckp and gpr and 1 gp being replaced under warranty and the rest is fluid changes.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had a few min to look around the motor and found fuel pooled up under the lift pump area. I know there is a weep hole on the from of the pump that leaks when pump is bad. Can this be the cause of my rough idle/startup?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Could be. Enough pressure to fire, but if it's bleeding down a bit, it might not run good till it builds pressure again. Fuel pump isn't a real bad job.
AaronSEIA

97 F350 4 door dually, E4OD, DIY intake
only exhaust is stock DP
flatbed
gutless wonder, I want my 94 back!!!
AaronSEIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Got the oil change done and fuel filter and drove the truck about 20 min and parked it to get cold. Once it was cold I started it up and there still is alittle roughness to it till the oil pressure gets up to operating psi. I did notice when at a stop on my drive it seemed like it had a miss to it but cleared up once I tapped the throttle. I'm not sure where to go but I'm gonna put a fuel guage and see what's going on.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok guys just a update on progress, I installed a con o southbend clutch kit which took care of the startup issue but I still have a rough idle, I did a buzz test which was good and have access to a scanner but don't know what good data should look like. No codes present at this time and my only guess is I'm pulling air in fuel or have hpop issues. I pulled the pressure sensor connector off while running and it made no diffrence. I have pics of the data I will post but nothing jumps out at me , inj pressure is 580ish at idle and inj pressre reg % was 13-14, oil change, fuel filter, bowl was cleaned and regulator screen,air filter and fuel hoses replaced. My only concern is the ball in the regulator fell out but found it but I wasn't sure if there was a spring behind it or not.fuel pressure bounces 50-60 psi
Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

No spring...just a BB. Fuel pressure sounds good (over 50 and there is bounce in mine). Look for the dreaded "grunge" on the regulator screen while you are there.

Have you checked glowplugs? - if I understand it right, you are only having problems cold - you may be lighting off on some cylinders and not all due to bad glow plugs. You can do a resistance check on the valve cover harness connectors fairly easily.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Cleaned screen and fuel bowl, also cleaned back pressure pipe. Now that I got a solid flywheel it's rough all the time and a slight surge in rpm at idle maybe 50rpm surge. I ohmed the valve cover gaskets and all injectors are 2.8-2.9 ohms. No oil in icp or ipr sensor connectors, when I try to perform a compensation test it throws a oil temp code but correct me if I'm wrong but I might not of had it up to temp yet.

And if anyone is interested I have a couple vids of tach just shoot me your phone # and I will send data pics and vid

Thx for all your input so far

And a side note when I picked the truck up on the freeway it decided to speed up on its own when I let off the gas but only did it once

Last edited by chrank5; 08-07-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just a little update I have replaced ipr o-ring, lift pump due to leak, and 1 uvch that 1 pin looked funny but was a glow plug pin. I drove the crap out of it and I did notice it put out a decent size puff of white smoke at about 2k rpm when boost really kicked in but never smoked after that. I do have a problem with my ebp valve/ sensor it will not move and is stuck at 20.2 but that shouldn't cause a miss should it? I also performed a contribution test and it came back ok but I know on the 95's it's not accurate. I am at a complete loss and feel like giving up.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Could It could be a injector "o" as well ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.