95 F350 keeps blowing #17 Maxi Fuse - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 95 F350 keeps blowing #17 Maxi Fuse

Batteries were dead, so I jumped the truck with a booster charger(Found out later this is a big NO) At the time I blew #17. Batteries would not hold charge so I replaced them with new ones and every time I turn the key on, it blows the fuse. Whether I turn to glow plug setting or just go straight to cranking over. The truck turns over, but no fire. It is easy to tell when the fuse blows(at $4.00 a pop) as the glow plug light quits lighting up. It blows in less than a second. Where do I start?

Last edited by DeadBang; 06-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
DeadBang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I would start at the starter relay since the glow plug relay hot wire comes off that .....I would check those and obvious bad grounds first....Wiring Info might be in here....1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I will begin there. I hate electrical Gremlins!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I don't remember what fuse i kept blowing but it might have been 17 anyways my fuel bowl heater was grounding out so it kept popping that fuse and the truck wouldnt start. if it is that fuse theres two wires as your lookin at the fuel bowl heater on the drivers side down towards the bottom pull the bottom wire put a new fuse back in and there ya go. ya just won't have a fuel bowl heater no more which isn't a huge deal dependin on where ya are
5speed 4x4

Mods: 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust with 3" downpipe, Tymar Intake, Edge Insight CS with pyro, LUK Clutch with DMF conversion, Just ordered TW chip
catskillfire51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I wouldn't think the fuel heater would blow the 50A Maxi (#17), although 30A Maxi #22 for the fuel heater and PCM Power diode does get the power through #17. The 30A should blow first if the fuel heater has shorted. Only thing I can think of would be something in the ignition switch. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well Guys, the ground at the starter solenoid appear to be good. I have never had a problem with the fuel heater before, but I will try to check it over. My ignition-- How do you check it for problems? Also, could I substitute house breaker for maxi for testing?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
You are going to have to get a ohm meeter and start pulling other fuses. The #17 maxi fuse controls the Generator Charge Indicator, Instrument Cluster. See Fuses 2, 3, 6, 11 and 17 (IP Fuse Panel) and Maxi-Fuse 22. Also See Circuit Breaker 12. You'll be seeing a dead short until you pull one the other fuses and then you can start tracking which circuit that has the problem.

Fuse #2 is for Ambulance (Diesel 215 Amp Generator/Voltage Regulator Only)

Fuse #3 is for Horn Relay, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Headlamp Flash-To-Pass

Fuse #6 is for Trailer Right Stop/Turn Lamps

Fuse #11 is Not used

Fuse # 17 in the IP fuse pannel

Fuse #22 is Fuel Line Heater, 215 Amp Generator/Voltage Regulator, PCM Power Relay Coil, Glow Plug Controller

Last edited by bugman; 06-06-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added fuses
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

So, turn on the key and check the ohm reading across the Maxi 17 and start pulling the other fuses? I hope I got that right.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
No, pull the maxi fuse 17 and then turn the key on. Then you can check which side has power. Then turn the key off. Use the ohm meeter on the other side of the fuse to read the ohms to ground. Then pull each fuse until you get a open reading on the meeter. If you don't have a meeter then unplug all the fuses associated with the maxi #17 then plug in a new maxi fuse. If it doesn't blow plug in the other fuses one at a time until it blows. Just a fyi that isn't really the way to check it but if you have to you have to.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blageurt View Post
Awesome resource for sure! This one is bookmarked for future reference!
Rockdog97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Having the same problem here. I have disconnected the fuel bowl heater, replace glow plug relay. it started ran for about five mins. I then put in gear and tried to pull out of the driveway and POP blew the maxi fuse again. I have taken all the fuses out under the dash that this also controls and still the same problem. any other suggestions?

1996 f-250 7.3 4x4
bobbaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.