96 7.3 DI PS no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3 DI PS no start

I am new to this forum. Looking for help. I have a 96-97 PS. 7.3. Parked it last night, now refuses to start. This is a daily driver, i have driven it every day for over a year. The last few weeks, it has been randomly shutting off. But always restarted. I have replaced the fuel/ water separator filter, drained water out catch. Replaced some burned up fuses. Replaced glow plug control module. I notice there is no fuel smoke coming exhaust as normal at cranking. Fuel bowl is filling as normal. No tach reading at cranking as normal. I am assuming that cam position sensor has gone bad and ECU can not read cam positon therefore not allowing for injectors to fire. I do not have a scan tool to check codes. I have read from others saying possible ignition module.. but engine cranks as normal. Possible that tach side of ignition module has gone bad?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
littlelioness001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no ignition module (there's no spark, after all). Does the WTS light come on?

Is it a '96 or a '97?
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated? As madpogue mentioned, does the WTS light come on? If not, you need to recheck underhood fuse #22. If that has failed, your fuel heater element has probably shorted (and that same circuit also powers the PCM (ECU). You can disconnect the fuel heater at the funky-looking spade connector on the driver's side of the fuel bowl (2nd wire down). If the WTS light does come on try changing the CPS since they don't cost much and its always good to carry a spare. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.