'96 f350 tranny slipping, cruise control? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 f350 tranny slipping, cruise control?

My '96 F350's transmission did a weird thing today. I was cruising hyway speed when the cruise control suddenly disengaged. Repeated attemps to reset had no effect. Then, when I got off and came to a stop light, when I started and hit 3rd the transmission had trouble engaging. I gingerly eased up and it caught and I made it to my destination. I checked the fluid level and it was full and clear.Later , I started it up and problem gone. The cruise control also began to work again. Seems like a strange coincidence, but I was wondering what the community here thought. Can these two things be related somehow, and by turning it off and back on it somehow reset itself ? This is the second time it has happened. It did the same thing transmission wise two weeks ago as I left the house and I turned right around and came home, checked the fluid and turned it off. When I restarted it, it worked fine until this last incident.I don't know if the cruise control worked or not as I never engaged it the first time.
Mickanopie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
RDG
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
Welcome to The Diesel Stop. Our transmission guy, Mark Kovalsky should be around shortly to help you out.
Bob
NRA Member
Retired UAW 383
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

When it does it again, pull up on the parking brake with your left foot and try it again. Mine was the switch. Otherwise it's prolly in your brake light circut. Torque convertor lockup is controlled in this circuit also. That would explain the weird shift also as lock-up is around when it normally shifts to third, depending on your speed. Check all the bulbs first. By the way, welcome to the forum from an infrequent poster. Learn how to use the search function. Lots of good info on here.
97 F350 4x4, rc, auto,4.10s, added some leafs, 35x12.50x16.5 BFG MT KM's/Weld alloys,Bilsteins, Banks git kit, Banks downpipe. test pipe, gutted ebpv. diy intake,shimmed fpr, mo ,diy intake, 36k tranny cooler, recalibrated speedo, banks pillar mount egt.& trans. temp gauges,homemade 3x6 rear bumper,front grill/brush guard,04 40/20/40 seats,
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
I think they are related. There is something electrical causing this problem. As to exactly what it is, I can't tell from here. If you have access to a high end scan tool you can watch what the PCM is doing to help troubleshoot.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcome. I'll check out the replies and get back.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
mine slips out if the tranny gets to hot, like it did when i was cruising at 80mph for an hour in the summer after 6 hrs on the road.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the center high stop light on the cab roof.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

My trans was about 155 F when this occured the second time. The first time it was cold. All brakes lights, including the center top are working. I took it to a mechanic yesterday to read codes and he got miffed when it read 124 codes and found that it has an aftermarket programer which screws up the reading. He told me to get it stock and bring it back. In the meantime the trans worked perfectly, no problems. I'll continue to drive it until it acts up again, hopefully it will happen where I can get it to a mechanic to observe.

Last edited by RDG; 09-08-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.