The Diesel Stop banner

'96 F350 xlt 7.3L no power

959 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jeffand947 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to diesels and have a 96 f350 with the 7.3 its an automatic. I'll try to give as much info as possible. It had a bad fuel pump that I replaced along with the fuel screens and filters. The truck is getting fuel at good psi now even under load, however it still cant get out of its own way. I checked the turbo for play and while doing that replaced all the seals on the up pipes and checked for damage and leaks that system is all good. The ebpv is working and not stuck. I have checked all the wires from the IDM and they are good and replaced the harness/seals. All injectors are passing buzz test and sound strong. Scanned all systems pass with the exception of the contribution test it seems to be inconsistent first I got 2, 3, and 5 fail today i got 2, 4, and 5 then 2 and 4. My injector pressures are all in good ranges. Im sure there are a few other things that i have tested and forgot. I need some help, this truck has to get me out of Colorado at the end of the month. Thanks.

#2 ·
The only time that I have gotten inconsistent readings on the contribution test was when my chip had failed. Does the truck have a chip? If so, unplug it. If you have a programmer remove it and try again. Make sure you check all the valve cover connections. themule67

#4 ·
So I replaced the IPR with a new one. No change to the truck. I checked the injectors with the cover off unplugging one at a time and all sound like they are working. The #8 had very little oil pumping out of it even when I raised the rpm's. I have no idea how old the oil in it is, it looks, feels,and smells fine. Could bad oil cause the huge loss of power? I have checked the injector pressure a few times and don't see any issues there. I'm at a loss as to what to try and don't have the money to throw random parts at it, any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.