97 F250 question! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 F250 question!

Hey everyone, just got a 97 F250 4x4 super cab long bed automatic. My first personal diesel- work with them everyday though. I have an odd question- twice now, I've been creeping along, and I depress the brakes, my truck shuts off. No sputter, just straight cuts off. lights are still on. It hasnt happened while driving, just going real slow in the parking lot, and just when I get going when the light turned green... Any thoughts? The trans shifts fine, it doesnt run rough... I do have to clean the air filter... and it doesn't smoke when driving or overly smoke when cold starting. I appreciate any help guys!
YEMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm no expert , but own a similar truck. It is known that the third brake light on the back of the cab can cause problems it is integrated into the running circuits some how and since you mention hitting the brakes, I would start there.

When I purchased my 97 several years ago I removed and cleaned all bulbs and sockets, I also removed disassembled and cleaned the turn signal switch, it had a ton of corrosion in it.

I love my 97 and hope yours serves you as well as mine serves me.

ETA: there is a recall on the brake switch mounted on the master cylinder, your truck may or may not have the upgraded part, it catches fire. Go to your Local Ford dealer they can check your vin# and update if needed.
97 F250 HD, 4x4, Ext Cab, Long Bed, 170,000 miles, 4.10 gears, Banks big hoss chip, intercooler, exhaust brake, down pipe, tymar, rebuilt trans, firestone air bags /w compressor, boost and pyro gauges.

Last edited by 66Fastback; 12-24-2012 at 09:28 PM.
66Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
I doubt that the third brake light is causing this problem, it causes a lot of problems with the cruse and torque converter but not driving and killing the engine.

The first thing that I would change out is the CPS. Killing the engine at slow speeds is usually one of the first symptoms that come up when it starts to go bad.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll check out both- I've gotta go through the truck before I drive down to NC... what's a ballpark on the CPS?? Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
$25...
2011, @86k mi. glowplugs, drag-link, trany fluid
2012, @94k mi. Bilsteins, stainless brakelines, fuelbowl, lift pump, waterpump, steering lines, coolant filter
2012, @98k mi. Starter, positive cables, batteries
2013, @104kmi 3"downpipe, Michlelin's, steering damper, rotors, rear diff oil
Stan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
yep change the CPS

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

sweet deal- I've read getting them from Autozone or Advanced auto is bad- they don't last as long... word on this? if true, where to go to get the correct one? part numbers?? will be doing a search as well...
Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMX View Post
sweet deal- I've read getting them from Autozone or Advanced auto is bad- they don't last as long... word on this? if true, where to go to get the correct one? part numbers?? will be doing a search as well...
The one I use;
Amazon.com: Motorcraft DU-87 Camshaft Position Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft DU-87 Camshaft Position Sensor: Automotive
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help guys!! getting the CPS replaced on Friday. I have to install a new power steering pump and belt, so let my mech take care of the CPS too. I don't have enough time to do it. Funny thing though- I changed the oil and filter, and the fuel filter... and it hasn't done it since. Still replacing it. A buddy of mine has a scanner that reads Ford codes- P0344, P0478 and P0470. So I need to replace it anyway. Now I just have to work on the other two. Meh. I'll do it when I get down to Lejeune.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Might as well replace the power steering lines too, one of them acts as a cooler on mine, it does a big loopdy doop in front of the engine and returns to the pump (i think) It was cheap too and they had it in stock at advance auto which i could not believe, only about twenty five bucks. I put about five coats of paint on it first before installing
2011, @86k mi. glowplugs, drag-link, trany fluid
2012, @94k mi. Bilsteins, stainless brakelines, fuelbowl, lift pump, waterpump, steering lines, coolant filter
2012, @98k mi. Starter, positive cables, batteries
2013, @104kmi 3"downpipe, Michlelin's, steering damper, rotors, rear diff oil
Stan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.