97 F250 Running Rough - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 F250 Running Rough

I have a 97' F250 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel with 321k Miles on it. At times the truck will seem to run fine with the exception of it sounding like its missing on 1 piston. It has been like that for a while. Recently, the truck started running rougher with the transmission shifting prematurely and acting like it has lost power. Now this is not constant it will shift back to running fine but when it has it problem, it is really random when it happens. Now a little after the transmission starts shifting prematurely, the check engine light will come on and sometimes stay on or maybe just go on and off a couple of times. When the check engine light comes on, the transmission shifts really hard and acts like its fixing to rip out the transmission. Basically it seems like it loses power. I'm guessing it is the injectors but I don't want to spend the $300 a piece unless I'm sure thats what it is.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you pull any codes? Sounds like the PCM is on its way out? Not sure though. Have someone check for codes to start. I don't think bad injectors would make the tranny shift like that.
96 F350XLT 4x4 Auto 7.3 Straight 3.5 exhaust 3:55
DIY Intake, 3" downpipe, SCT tuner, Pyro Boost Trans Gauges-Front add-a leafs, Dieselsite Coolant Filter-253,000mi.
FordFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Get the code read .....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it is fuel related. Only when the Check Engine light is on does the transmission shift hard and the overdrive off light blinks. It really seems like it doesn't have any power. Like I said it is extremely random when it happens and how long it lasts. As far as codes go, I don't have a code reader nor do I know someone who has a reader and I do not have the money to get a code reader.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbassett1 View Post
I think it is fuel related. Only when the Check Engine light is on does the transmission shift hard and the overdrive off light blinks. It really seems like it doesn't have any power. Like I said it is extremely random when it happens and how long it lasts. As far as codes go, I don't have a code reader nor do I know someone who has a reader and I do not have the money to get a code reader.
The code will save a great deal of guessing ,,,take it to ford ,,get the code ...
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ford charges you don't they? I need to spend absolutely as little as possible. Anything that I can DIY I will.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

So you would rather just throw parts at it and see if one gets it right? Are you getting free parts or something?
mgraveman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

No its just that it isn't exactly easy to pull the codes. Reason being is because I never know when the light is gonna come on and how long its gonna stay on. With my luck, it would come on right next to a Ford dealership and the second I pull it up to service, the light would go off.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
if the lights coming on it most likely stored a code already.
1995 F350 PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS
IDM Corrosion
Underdash Gauge Pod
Front Tow Hooks
STurbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbassett1 View Post
No its just that it isn't exactly easy to pull the codes. Reason being is because I never know when the light is gonna come on and how long its gonna stay on. With my luck, it would come on right next to a Ford dealership and the second I pull it up to service, the light would go off.

You can buy a code reader for yourself.

The problem is that anything that you are told without getting a code is just a guess. Your money is best spent getting a code and then getting advice. I agree that it is probably a stored code.
mgraveman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to crashmk92 Send a message via MSN to crashmk92 Send a message via Skype™ to crashmk92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraveman View Post
So you would rather just throw parts at it and see if one gets it right? Are you getting free parts or something?
Kinda harsh response, considering the question was more along the lines of is there any way to avoid getting price-raped by ford, and trying to save a dollar or two, and in NO way implying throwing parts at the truck.

cbassett1,
The reason it's not a bad idea to go to Ford when the code pops up, is, we're not 100% OBD-2 compliant on our trucks.. We have the connector, BUT, to get the real readings you need a code reader that is up to par with that ROTUNDA version that the stealerships use, that has multiple software packages designed for specific vehicles. For what its worth on our trucks, it CAN be cheaper to get it read at ford, depending one 1 specific thing...

Auto Enginuity has a USB powered OBD2 package that hooks up to your computer for about $250, and then for another hundred bucks or so, you can get the additional software for the PSD that will let you do all of the cool things the stealership can do, like the injector BUZZ test and so on....

If you intend on having this truck for the LONG HAUL, an Auto Enginuity unit wouldnt be a bad spend, BUT, if you don't intend on wrenching on this pickup much, or will be trading up anytime soon, the A.E. package may not be for you, and you could save money going to ford.

Long story boring, the standard $40 obd2 reader isnt going to get you very far on our trucks, so it's up to you to weigh what is going to be better for you...

And by the way, don't let any of the sarcastic replies on this forum keep you from posting or asking questions. For every 1 guy who thinks it's cool to try and make you sound stupid on this forum, there's another 4 guys who will save you an "arm and a leg" in mechanics fees, and tach you A TON about the T444E(7.3l powerstroke) along the way.

Best of luck brother. Let us know how it comes out.

Joe
1997 F250 HD 7.3L PSD E40D 4X4 ; Dana 60 Conversion, 4" Superlift Suspension, ProComp ES9000 Shocks, Skyjacker Steering Stab.,Energy Suspension Poly Shackle & Track Bar Bushings, DIY Baldwin open element intake, 285/75 R16 Yokohama Geolanders,,15w40 Rotella T, Valvoline Maxlife Mercron ATF, Power Services Diesel Kleen (cetane +6), Midland 77-120 CB w/ Firestik FL2 4' Antenna. 1900RPM @ 70MPH. 197000 miles
Truck Birth-Month : October, 1997
TRUCK PICS
crashmk92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.