The Diesel Stop banner

'97 F350 fuel issues

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Turbo1 
#1 ·
Ok folks I am stumped.
97 f350 stock crew cab 4x4 299k miles.

Truck will run for 10 minutes and then shut down, runs out of fuel

Here is what I have done. Fuel pump was leaking out of weep hole. Changed fuel pump. Truck still ran out of fuel after about 10 minutes of driving. Pulled tank and pick up foot was in pieces and fuel was really dirty. Tanked drained and cleaned, new pick up screen, blew out fuel lines, new fuel selector valve. New filter.

After all of this is installed, I put about 5 gallons of fuel and fill the filter bowl. Truck is hard to start because of moving the fuel up to the motor and once started only runs 10 minutes before running out of fuel. I fill the fuel bowl up again and the truck runs 9 minutes and then runs out of fuel again leaving the fuel bowl with only about 3/4" of fuel in the bottom.

What should I try next???

Thanks ahead of time.

#2 ·
Will it run for 9 / 10 minutes - die - then restart and run for 9 / 10 minutes - without adding fuel to the TANK selected - and only adding fuel to the bowl?

Are the lines on the fuel tank selector hooked up correctly?
If not - the fuel pump will draw out of one tank - and return to the other - rendering the draw tank empty - and the return tank fuller.

#3 ·
I currently have the rear tank lines capped off so that the fuel should be returned to the front tank which is the one that I am drawing from. I assume the lines are all fine since the truck will run for 10 minutes, if I had a line problem it shouldn't run that long...correct?

#5 ·
madpogue, what am i looking for when adding more fuel. Total I have about 7 to 8 gallons in at this point.

#6 ·
The pickup strainer (aka "showerhead") in the tank is known to crack and/or fall off, and subsequently the pickup can't draw fuel below a certain level. Usually that's about 5 gallons. So if you're at 7-8 gallons and still having the problem, that's probably not it. You could always rule it out/in by removing the supply line from the selector valve and running to a jerry-can of diesel, and see how long it runs then.

#7 ·
Yes the pick up foot was in 200 pieces but that was replaced also. The valve it new also but will try the jerry can of fuel to see if the problem lies with it. It just stumps me that the truck will start and run this time (3rd) for 7 minutes and then run it self out of fuel. The bowl was empty again this time. Since the bowl itself will not last 7-10 minutes the truck is getting fuel from the tank but what is stopping it after a few minute of running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.