97 powerstroke overheating/ no interior heat...heater hoses not hot but the top radiator hose is - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 powerstroke overheating/ no interior heat...heater hoses not hot but the top radiator hose is

need help fast. i need to fix it today thanx!
cuttnup86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 powerstroke overheating/ no interior heat...heater hoses not hot but the top radiator hose is

First, is the cooling system full? If it is I would suspect that coolant is not flowing through the system and it could be a sign of a failed water pump.
'96 F-350 Crew Cab Dually XLT, E4OD w/sonnex & tricume springs, 4:10 gears, Western diesel down pipe & HX hose. B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler w/fan. DP Tuners F5. Tymar intake & 4" exhaust.
blever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: 97 powerstroke overheating/ no interior heat...heater hoses not hot but the top radiator hose is

its full of water its just strange the heater hoses aren't hot
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

stuck thermostat?

are both hoses hot?

is the top heater hose firm when the engine is hot (backyard test for thermostat working OK)

definitely check the system level, only other thing I can think of is a plugged up radiator core or some other restriction in the system.

perhaps it's time for good back flush, if that doesn't help the only other thing I can think of is pull the water pump and inspect for damaged impeller?
'86 Ranger 302/aod/8.8
'02 Focus wagon commuter
'86 Supra classic ski boat 351W PCM power
'54 Belair sedan, all original
milner351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

changed thermostat still over heat and plent of water coming out of jug where u put the water in
Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Did it just start this after you changed the t-stat?, or is this the reason you changed it. What thermostat did you use? Im asking because 96-97 use a different "long stem" thermostat and the "short stem" will cause it to overheat the block.
BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

this is why i changed it i got the t-stat from ford
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
this is why i changed it i got the t-stat from ford

[/ QUOTE ]Do you have the T stat facing the correct way? just a thought.....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

to remove all doubt, you could run without a thermostat just as a test to see if it still gets too hot.

if it still gets too hot, I'd suspect radiator or waterpump, even with a factory clutch fan hardly spinning you should have enough air flow, so I wouldn't suspect a fan issue.
'86 Ranger 302/aod/8.8
'02 Focus wagon commuter
'86 Supra classic ski boat 351W PCM power
'54 Belair sedan, all original
milner351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Waterpump!

If the thermostat was bad the water would stay in the block and the upper hose would be cold.

If the radiator was plugged the coolant would still flow thru the block and heater hoses.

The coolant flows from the pump, thru the block and exits thru the head and to the heater.Disconnect one of the heater hoses and check the flow.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

changed water pump still have the same problem. top radiator hose is hard like a brick with engine running heater hoses cool like no water running through them, also no heat this has to be related started at same time. only thing left is the radiator,but this happened all at once not gradually BAM! no heat running hot just like that
Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

after installing the w/p bubbling out of the cap top hose is hard and cool. the short heater hose off the head is hot but after the t connector that branches to the heater core and the lower hoses are cool and the other heater hose is cool also. cant figure out whats going on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I dont make any sense to me either. The heater hose from the head is hot but the return from the core to the pump is cold? How about disconnecting the supply and return to the heater and flush the core with a garden hose. At least if you get flow there you will be able to eliminate that as the restriction. That might be your reason for no heat but it still wont explain why youre overheating.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

only the short part off the hose off the head is hot once in the t to the heater core it is not warm at all almost like there is a block in that t. ever heard off that before?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

No.Pull it off the core, the head and the radiator and check it. or just cut it out and replace it with a brass T and 5/8 hose barbs. You can even eliminate the T by removing the fitting on the bottom of the radiator and replace it with a plug and just run the hose from the head to the core.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.