ABS Headaches - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS Headaches

Hey all,

Like many others I have ABS/Brake Light issues. They simply come on and do not extinguish. When I start the truck and it is idling, no issues. Within a minute of driving the lights illuminate.

My searches came up with replace the speed sensor. Did that, still have issues. I have read a little about testing vac. lines. Have not done that. I do not have 4WABS, only RABS, no sensors to the front; so that is out. Recent recall notice I just got for the truck is the cruise control switch. I don't see the correlation there, but I am going to pick up my free part and install it. The only other factor that I can possibly see is the BOO Switch, Brake On/Off switch. Any thoughts.

I ordered one for approx. $30 from the dealer. Where is it located, tough to do? Any other ideas on this is appreciated. We are getting ready to tow during Turkey day and I would love to fix it.

Also on a side note, Happy Veterans Day!! Thank you all vets!! I was Navy and Army getting ready to go back Army. Hooha!
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Check your brake fluid level. Try and retrieve the trouble codes for the RABS by this:

"Rear Anti-Lock Warning Light

The yellow REAR ABS warning light is used to indicate a malfunction and a deactivation of the RABS II system. To check this light, first follow the procedure above for Red Brake Warning Light Self-Check, and allow the key to spring back from START position to the RUN position. The yellow REAR ABS warning light should perform a self-check by glowing for approximately two seconds and then turning off. If it turns back on and does not flash, then a system concern has been detected. Refer to On-Board Diagnostics, Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving. If it fails to glow, go to the Symptom Chart.

On-Board Diagnostics

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving

CAUTION:
Care must be taken to connect only the black/orange stripe wire to ground. Connecting the red mating connector wire to ground will result in a blown fuse.

Verify the key is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS II diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector has two mating halves (one of which has a black/orange wire connected to it). Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripe wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the other end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a good chassis ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing, go to the Symptom Chart.

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble Code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. Diagnostic trouble code 16 indicates that the anti-lock electronic control module detects normal system operation."

Post the codes and we'll go from there (there's code-specific pinpoint tests after that). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Check the wiring harness that connects to the ABS sensor on the rear axle from the sensor itself all the way up to the frame. The harness has been noted to chafe on the frame causing intermitent issues. You may also have a damaged tone ring inside the differential which would also cause the light to illuminate. Based on your description of symptoms I would lean toward the tone ring being damaged.
IDM mod
4" DE turbo back catless exhaust
TS 6 pos. Chip
3" PA Body lift
ES body and suspension bushings/mounts
Extreme duty trans w/billet triple disc converter
B&M deep pan
Hayden "DAWG" trans cooler
Adrenaline HPOP
stage II's, D66, then custom tunes.
speeddemon31176 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Has plenty of brake fluid. I replaced the speed sensor, so it should not be an issue. That being said, the wire could be chaffed. I discovered that the brake light did not illuminate when the parking brake was on. I took off the wire to the switch and replaced it, and I also unplugged and replugged the harness on the brake. The truck went fine. When my wife drove it later. It came back on. Maybe the truck does not like females???

Maybe there are issues with the harness down by the brake. I will have to try the test and post the codes.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

where is this diagnostic wire located? I have ran an OBDII code scanner and did not come up with anything.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
The ABS diagnostic connector is under the hood IIRC.
IDM mod
4" DE turbo back catless exhaust
TS 6 pos. Chip
3" PA Body lift
ES body and suspension bushings/mounts
Extreme duty trans w/billet triple disc converter
B&M deep pan
Hayden "DAWG" trans cooler
Adrenaline HPOP
stage II's, D66, then custom tunes.
speeddemon31176 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
The diagnostic wire and RABS module are under the dash near the glovebox (possibly behind it ... can't remember). There's the main connector (C277) to the RABS module and then another separate connector (C159) that has the Black with Orange trace wire on the male side and a red wire on the female side. This is the connector you want to disconnect (mentioned in the procedure above). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just got a call from the dealer. I still wasn't sure about how to pull the codes. I had them take care of a recall item and check out the ABS. As it turns out, they say the ABS system is working fine. No faults or codes are detected.

They said the mechanic thinks it is something in the warning lights like a resistor or something and would have to rip apart the dash to look for it.

Perhaps there are no codes. I don't know. This I do know. If I put the truck in drive and just let it idle and move around the parking lot or whatever, there are no issues. The moment I step on the gas even the slightest amount the ABS and Brake Light indicators come on.

Any of this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to just unhook the ABS warning?? Thoughts, ideas THANKS!!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I pulled the ABS fuse while the truck was running and the lights in question were up. The brake light went out and the ABS stayed on. That makes sense. I put the fuse back in and the ABS light went out. I was able to drive without the lights coming on. Then they came on again. I got the truck up to speed, 60mph or so with the lights on. Pulled the fuse and got the same results. The lights stayed out for 20 plus miles with or without cruise, applying brakes, whatever. As soon as I slowed for my house to a stop and went to accelerate, the lights came on again.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.