Any way to get tach signal? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any way to get tach signal?

I've searched this site and others to no avail. Is there any way to get a standard 12v square tach signal from this thing? I want to use a 3rd party gauge.

Currently to read my tach I have to use the display on the aux RPM controller, but this display is passive LCD and is beyond awful. I'm considering getting a gauge for boost, egt, and tranny temp. It can also show engine speed if I could only get the signal somehow.

1995 E350 PowerStroke ambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:29 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no "tach signal". The tach is fed by the PCM. The closest you'll get to any "signal" that you could use with an external analog device would be the signal from the CPS, which uses 5V VREF. But it "blips" on every notch on the camshaft, including the ones that actually report the camshaft position. To get the once-per-rev (well, per two revs) "heartbeat", the device would have to filter out the unwanted blips.

That said, any device that communicates digitally via the data port should be able to display the PCM RPM; you just have to decide what device and how you want it displayed.

What's wrong with your stock tach? Or is this a van? Vehicle info in the opening post (NOT your sig) filters for better/quicker answers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

1) Yes, it is a van.

2) The 3rd party device can do neat stuff like record sensors but it's a useless feature without tach. In other words, a built-in tach does nothing for me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Not sure which device you're referring to in (2), but anything you connect to the data port, if it talks to our generation of PCM, it can be configured for RPM. Choices are narrow, however. Forscan or AutoEnginuity on a PC, Torque Pro on an android device, AeroForce Interceptor, a couple Snap-On models....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

If you're referring to the OBDII port, no, this device doesn't do that. The OBDII doesn't monitor EGT or Boost anyhow.

It's starting to sound like I'm boned.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 AM

How can your device read powertrain sensors without connecting to the data port? Actually, the data port does give you boost, if the device attached to it know how to subtract MAP minus BARO. In any event, if you're not using data port currently, you're not boned. Just get something like an Aeroforce Interceptor and dedicate one display to RPM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
How can your device read powertrain sensors without connecting
to the data port?
I never said I was doing this. I was going to install a half dozen sensors, some of which run parallel to the Ford ones.

Quote:
Actually, the data port does give you boost, if the device attached to it know how to subtract MAP minus BARO.
Still doesn't have EGT

Quote:
In any event, if you're not using data port currently, you're not boned. Just get something like an Aeroforce Interceptor and dedicate one display to RPM.
Well, again, the benefit of this tool is it can record. If I merely needed display, I'd transplant a Ford display.

I think I found a solution, however. It isn't cheap (well, cheaper than then "Aeroforce Interceptor"):
http://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-1885.pdf

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM

If you want to record, check out TorquePro and CarGaugePro, or one of the Windows solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.