anyone know how to set the bearing preload in rear drive axle? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone know how to set the bearing preload in rear drive axle?

I am going to replace the bearings in the rear axle at the ring gear and on the pinion shaft. does anyone have any experiance with the bearing preload adjustment? how can a person tell when they got it just right?..... thanks

I like what I do, and I do what I like... fortunatly I can make a decent living at it as long as I keep doing it.

1995 F-250 XLT PSD Ext-cab 4X4 4:10 gears, straight pipe, 3" downpipe, shimmed FPR, Tony Wildman 4pos.chip, dash mounted triple gauge, deleted EBPV, baldwin PA2818 open element intake, MileMarker SS manual hubs, tru-cool "max" tranny cooler. 200,000mi service included injector job, lift pump & hoses, IPR valve, CPS,MAP,EBP,BARO,ICP sensors, new poly bushings w/extended front spring shackles & F-350 springs in the rear. new carrier bearings in the rear diff. only used to pull the Dive boat or Polaris toy trailer. GVW when ready to go, 17,000lbs. with 4 sets of dive gear on the boat.

'94 volvo service truck... with all the tools and other fun stuff.
centerline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: anyone know how to set the bearing preload in rear drive axle?

does anyone know of a website where I could get the information needed to set the preload on new bearings?... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I like what I do, and I do what I like... fortunatly I can make a decent living at it as long as I keep doing it.

1995 F-250 XLT PSD Ext-cab 4X4 4:10 gears, straight pipe, 3" downpipe, shimmed FPR, Tony Wildman 4pos.chip, dash mounted triple gauge, deleted EBPV, baldwin PA2818 open element intake, MileMarker SS manual hubs, tru-cool "max" tranny cooler. 200,000mi service included injector job, lift pump & hoses, IPR valve, CPS,MAP,EBP,BARO,ICP sensors, new poly bushings w/extended front spring shackles & F-350 springs in the rear. new carrier bearings in the rear diff. only used to pull the Dive boat or Polaris toy trailer. GVW when ready to go, 17,000lbs. with 4 sets of dive gear on the boat.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I was taught to setup a shaf like that by installing the bearings and races in the case and on the shaft and insure they are seated fully. There should be a cap on one end that will have a shim pack under it. Useing a dial indicator, you start with end play, and remove shims until you have 0.0000" end play. Then remove the correct amount of shims to obtain the requested preload.

Usually the final check is done by a rolling drag test. The book should have a spec in pounds that it takes to roll the shaft. Using a spring scale and some string, wrap the string around the shaft and pull on the scale, note it's reading when the shaft is rolling. If you're in spec here, you're done and have it correct.

<----- My Baby: 1951 R John Deere with factory optional all steel cab.

<font color="1adf00">1996 F350 XLT 4x4 SWR Long Box,TWildman 4 Position Chip, ZF-5, Tymar Intake, 3" Turbo back exhaust, No cat, no muffler, Boost Pressure and Coolant Temp manual gauges mounted on bottom of dash in typical farmer fashion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] DeeZee Moon visor and running boards, John Deere floormats and mud flaps,EBV Engine Brake w/3 Position control switch, Shimmed FPR to 82PSI, JS IDM, Westach EGT 100-2000* </font>
Kansas_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

If you are talking pinion bearings, leave the shims the same as they came out. I have been told we have a crush sleeve axle, which means you will need a lot of torque to crush the sleeve initially and then a lot less to tighten the pinion nut up to obtain the correct preload on the bearings, which is measured using and in/lbs torque wrench and set to the specified spec.

As far as the carrier, new bearings and shims just the way it came out will most likely work. Gotta go by feel on that one.

1997 F-250 HD 4x4/OR SC LB XLT PSD E4OD 3.55LS, TDE1, Baby Swamps (150/146/A), BTS Trans, BTS programming, Front and Rear Replacements, Gooseneck, Autometer Pyro, Trans Temp and Boost in Rockin' S Pod, Cab/Clearance Lights installed, Tymar style intake, 6.0 Intercooler, Tru-Cool Max tranny cooler, Warn Premium Hubs, Shimmed FPR, Gutted EBPV, Super Duty 3" DP, 4" Exhaust, 175,000 mi., 7400 lbs., 310 HP 559 TQ

Truck & Other Pics - More Truck & Other Pics

1968 IH Travelall 4x4

Work truck - 2008 F-350 6.4 PSD XL Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single Wheel, Torqueshift, 3.73LS, 4x4
AggiePSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

pinion bearings. transfer all the shims and set the preload with the crush sleeve till you get optimum turning inch pound torque. i dotn have the spec handy...
on the carrier bearings, just press your old bearing off, then install the new ones and your done.
the shims are under the bearings, if you dont touch them, they will be fine.
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did'nt realize we had a crush/spring sleeve in this rear end.. that makes it easy. As I understand the use of a crush sleeve is to maintain the proper preload on the bearings throughout a wide heat range during operation as well as a certain amount of forgivness in the event of improper torquing due to its springy nature, although slight it may be... and the torque on the yoke nut holds it all together.... where would I find the torque spec's for the yoke nut and the journal cap bolts for the ring gear? thanks

Old 01-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you can give me the axle specs you're working on (model and gears and such) I can give you the torque values and the rolling drag info.

&lt;----- My Baby: 1951 R John Deere with factory optional all steel cab.

<font color="1adf00">1996 F350 XLT 4x4 SWR Long Box,TWildman 4 Position Chip, ZF-5, Tymar Intake, 3" Turbo back exhaust, No cat, no muffler, Boost Pressure and Coolant Temp manual gauges mounted on bottom of dash in typical farmer fashion [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] DeeZee Moon visor and running boards, John Deere floormats and mud flaps,EBV Engine Brake w/3 Position control switch, Shimmed FPR to 82PSI, JS IDM, Westach EGT 100-2000* </font>
Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am not able to get at the tag on the rear end at this time. it is the stock rear drive axle for the 95 PSD F-250 with a 6085lb axle load rating. 4.10 gears

Old 01-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok,I found the pages in the book, now all I have to do is get it to where you can see them. I'll figure that out and get a link to ya as soon as I can.

Basically it's a "tighten to rolling torque" procedure. You install everything, and tighen the nut down slowly. Using an Inch tq wrench to check the rolling drag on the shaft. Continue to tighten until you reach the correct rolling drag values.

Rolling Drag Value:
Old Bearings: 8-14 Inch-lbs
New Bearings: 16-29 Inch-lbs

If you miss the mark, you MUST replace the crush sleeve and restart the prodcedure.

Thanks~

&lt;----- My Baby: 1951 R John Deere with factory optional all steel cab.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Check out Randy's Ring and Pinion, I don't have the website handy, but they have alot of very useful information. I've set up countless GM 10 bolts, 12 bolts, 14 bolts, Dana 44's and have used that site many times to make sure I had the right settings.

'86 CUCV Blazer/Rock Crawler 6.2 diesel/4spd/Locked 5.13's/recentered H-1 Double Beadlocks. Crawling over one rock at a time

'05 Dodge 3/4 Ton Crewcab Cummins / 6spd (Wife's)

Founding member of SouthernBowties
TxBuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.