The Diesel Stop banner

anyone know how to set the bearing preload in rear drive axle?

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TxBuster 
#1 ·
I am going to replace the bearings in the rear axle at the ring gear and on the pinion shaft. does anyone have any experiance with the bearing preload adjustment? how can a person tell when they got it just right?..... thanks

#2 ·
does anyone know of a website where I could get the information needed to set the preload on new bearings?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#3 ·
I was taught to setup a shaf like that by installing the bearings and races in the case and on the shaft and insure they are seated fully. There should be a cap on one end that will have a shim pack under it. Useing a dial indicator, you start with end play, and remove shims until you have 0.0000" end play. Then remove the correct amount of shims to obtain the requested preload.

Usually the final check is done by a rolling drag test. The book should have a spec in pounds that it takes to roll the shaft. Using a spring scale and some string, wrap the string around the shaft and pull on the scale, note it's reading when the shaft is rolling. If you're in spec here, you're done and have it correct.

#4 ·
If you are talking pinion bearings, leave the shims the same as they came out. I have been told we have a crush sleeve axle, which means you will need a lot of torque to crush the sleeve initially and then a lot less to tighten the pinion nut up to obtain the correct preload on the bearings, which is measured using and in/lbs torque wrench and set to the specified spec.

As far as the carrier, new bearings and shims just the way it came out will most likely work. Gotta go by feel on that one.

#5 ·
pinion bearings. transfer all the shims and set the preload with the crush sleeve till you get optimum turning inch pound torque. i dotn have the spec handy...
on the carrier bearings, just press your old bearing off, then install the new ones and your done.
the shims are under the bearings, if you dont touch them, they will be fine.

#6 ·
I did'nt realize we had a crush/spring sleeve in this rear end.. that makes it easy. As I understand the use of a crush sleeve is to maintain the proper preload on the bearings throughout a wide heat range during operation as well as a certain amount of forgivness in the event of improper torquing due to its springy nature, although slight it may be... and the torque on the yoke nut holds it all together.... where would I find the torque spec's for the yoke nut and the journal cap bolts for the ring gear? thanks

#8 ·
I am not able to get at the tag on the rear end at this time. it is the stock rear drive axle for the 95 PSD F-250 with a 6085lb axle load rating. 4.10 gears

#9 ·
Ok,I found the pages in the book, now all I have to do is get it to where you can see them. I'll figure that out and get a link to ya as soon as I can.

Basically it's a "tighten to rolling torque" procedure. You install everything, and tighen the nut down slowly. Using an Inch tq wrench to check the rolling drag on the shaft. Continue to tighten until you reach the correct rolling drag values.

Rolling Drag Value:
Old Bearings: 8-14 Inch-lbs
New Bearings: 16-29 Inch-lbs

If you miss the mark, you MUST replace the crush sleeve and restart the prodcedure.

Thanks~

#10 ·
Check out Randy's Ring and Pinion, I don't have the website handy, but they have alot of very useful information. I've set up countless GM 10 bolts, 12 bolts, 14 bolts, Dana 44's and have used that site many times to make sure I had the right settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.