Autolite glow plugs service life 18 months? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Autolite glow plugs service life 18 months?

I searched here to see if the autolite glow plugs are a problem. I did not come up with any answers. This is the second set I have problems with. 18 months and less than 10k miles. What ones are better.
gbickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Re: Autolite glow plugs service life 18 months?

18 months with the Autolite's? You did very good. They normally don't last that long. Go with Motorcraft plugs that say "beru" on the side. Any other brands and you are looking for trouble. It is a bad situation when one breaks off in the hole. If you search the archives I am sure you can come up with much more information talking about how bad the Autolite's are.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

My berus only lasted about 18months also. Not sure the whole glow plug system wears out so quickly...quality? or design? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
265/75/16, BB shim=73psi, Open Element, 10K with switch on dash, IDM mod, 30K Hayden tranny cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, 3" downpipe, 4" straight pipe, the usual gauges, Bullydog 6 position chip (five of them work)
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
My berus only lasted about 18months also. Not sure the whole glow plug system wears out so quickly...quality? or design? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My berus lasted 10 years and 11 months. None were stuck or hard to get out of engine. You know what brand went back in.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My berus lasted 10 years and 11 months. None were stuck or hard to get out of engine. You know what brand went back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, glow plug usage in Southern, KY vs Olympia, WA. Not too hard to figure out whose will last longer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Snowtow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

They come on everytime the key is turned on. I let them cycle thru every time the key come on also.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I still have the stock ones too, they'll be replaced with Motorcrafts here shortly. What does your location have to do with how long your plugs last [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] They still cycle each time you start the truck.
97' F250 CC 4x4 SB PSD 5spd 188,000 4:10's
LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's
Tymar Intake, HPX, 3X4 DP, 4" Street Exhaust
Custom Injectors
17deg HPOP
SD HT Starter
Shimmed FPR
Uniden Pro520XL
MaxRad Antenna
1000cca Everstarts
AIC
Autometer Gauges
Disconnected EBPV
ES bushings
Warn Premium Hubs
Rhino Liner
Custom goose neck
Chrome bed rails & body skirts
Custom wife dents
Stickers that make it faster (no really)

North West Ford Diesels Truck Club

Truck Pics
Pat_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I know when i went with the TDE-1 program, my truck starts up much better cold than it did with my naw-4 program.
96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by Diesel Innovations , Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

Truck pics

Houston Area Powerstrokes
TimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pat - First PSD Tech that ever touched My truck to replace the CPS under warranty told Me the important thing for good GP life is to not speed up the engine after You start it.... wait until the GP's shut off before speeding the engine up from an idle. His reasoning was the GP's didn't like the higher voltage the alternator was able to supply them with as opposed to the battery voltage. Evidently FMC had a TSB in late '96 or early '97 about this in ambulance service that also would apply to P/U's. Anyhow.... My GP's were replaced after 251,000 miles and 9 winters. I had four dead ones and four good ones. Son's Buddy's truck We did them in last weekend only had two good GP's after 165,000 mi. It didn't start real well!
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Berus have been in 4yrs. so far and still glowing! Freezing
and starting in MI! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed. CD Changer
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod was installed. Replaced with Swamps HV/HF IDM! Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
Sparkydm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I see the reasoning but fat chance of an ambulance jockey waiting more than about 2 seconds before blasting out the door. FWIW I don't wait at all either and they still all work, at least from measuring the current at the GPR

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I just put a GPR109 and a full set of motorcrafts on my friends 94 idi truck, made all the difference in the world.

I took out a full set of autolites that were new enough that I could still see the antisieze on the threads and the heads were still shiny.... you guys told me the issues with autolites, and I've since explained it to several people... this truck is just another example of the bad autolites.

What I don't understand is WHY does NAPA carry the Autolites and not the motorcraft? The guy that sold me the GPR109 was really trying to sell me the BOSCH...
anyone tried those?
'86 Ranger 302/aod/8.8
'02 Focus wagon commuter
'86 Supra classic ski boat 351W PCM power
'54 Belair sedan, all original
milner351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

autozone by my house won't sell you the autolite glowplugs. They'll tell you they are crap.
96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by Diesel Innovations , Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

Truck pics

Houston Area Powerstrokes
TimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.