bellows for up pipes???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bellows for up pipes????

I had to take my turbo and pedestal off to fix the oil leak from the EBV, I deleted it and plugged with a 1/4" pipe plug.

My problem now is that the slight smell of exhaust I get when I turn the heater on and the truck is sitting still seems to be the upper joint for the up pipe where both come together prior to the turbo.

IH is very proud of their up pipes, $800 proud!
It would seem that their pipes just have a stainless steel bellows in them to allow expansion and contraction.... for longer seal life.

Can anyone point to a place where I could buy the bellows and weld them in line?
My pipes are in good shape and I would like to do this while I have it all apart...
BTW its 97' F350 4x4 manual 7.3

Thanks!
1965 Buick skylark twin turbo, 6 speed manual.......
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
sc-xc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I think thats all there is .....Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - International Bellowed Up-pipes..but you can call him and ask.....Maybe just replace your Exhaust Donuts for now....
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Summit racing sells a bellows you can use. A local guy made his own bellowed up-pipes with them. Details in this thread: Another OBS diesel build......errr. rebuild!!
Snowtow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I fixed the inherent design flaw with some bellows, I cant see a huge reason why the stock donut gasket should not be sufficient now that the pipes will be allowed some room to expand and contract....
This sure looks like a great budget way to solve this problem, I will keep all updated with the longevity of this fix.
If it turns out to be a good solution I could certainly help some others out, I did good mock up and the bellows are well in the clear and I kept all my design measurements.
I will take some pics and put them up today.
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

budget up pipes with bellows

Here are my budget up pipe with stainless steel bellows, I used my stock, thrashed up pipes with 250k miles and OE donuts.
With the careful design I was able to flip and cut the damaged area off and they fir perfect!
With the bellows as my expansion joint I cant see a reason why the donut style shouldn't last just fine.
I did keep all my design/layout info in case this does work and others want to save some time.....
Attached Thumbnails
bellows for up pipes????-bellows.jpg  
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you end up using the bellows from Summit?

What is the inherent design flaw with some bellows?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice job. I was considering the same thing but bought mine here 1994-1999e 7.3 Bellowed Uppipe Kit
ih213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

The ones I liked best were the Vibrant stainless steel bellows, I picked them up from some third party distributor for less than the MSRP.
I found a few bellows that were not to my liking, the vibrant ones have a smooth sleeved inner and the bellow on the outside, other have the corrugated on the inside that would cause a lot of turbulence... kinda nit picky but they were all about the same price.

The main design flaw I was speaking of was the lack of an expansion joint in the stock up pipes, especially since they are captured between two rigid/stationary points, the turbo bolted to the top of the motor and the exhaust manifolds... something has to give and the donuts will be it!
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I like those up pipes, do they use the stock manifold on the back of the turbo?
How long have you had them in and are they still leak free?

I know my exhaust break will be harder on that joint as well....
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-xc View Post
The main design flaw I was speaking of was the lack of an expansion joint in the stock up pipes
Ok, I gotcha now. I read your statement that there was an inherent flaw in some brands of bellows, when in actuality you were stating that you fixed the flaw of the stock pipes with the addition of bellows.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was hoping the up pipes would fix this exhaust smell I get, it only happens when I have the heater or ac pulling air in and I'm sitting at a stop light. I put about 450 miles on it with the new bellowed up pipes and I can's find a trace of soot at any of the joints.....
Anyone have any ideas????
The truck had an exhaust break on it as well, can't find any leaks there either.

Thanks!
1957 Willy's wagon
1937 Chevrolet hot rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.