Best way to get frozen/rusted brake bleeder screw out??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
S95

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best way to get frozen/rusted brake bleeder screw out???

brake bleeder screw is rusted and frozen in. any tricks to get them out? its a mess i cleaned all the crust away and put penetrating oil on it...but not moving yet.
CUSTOM RUNNING BOARDS
SD STARTER
STANDENS FULL 3 LEAF FRONT SPRINGS
1990 25th Anniversary 5.0 GT
2012 F150 4X4 supercab longbox HDPKG 5.0
S95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure about this on a brake caliper, I was taught to do it on blocks and other metal parts without brake fluid in them. You might want to pull the hose and drain the fluid first if you try this trick...

Use a torch to head the bleeder and area just around it. It's best to get it hot enough to begin to glow, but it works most of the time if you stop short of that. After you heat it press a piece of wax to the point where the treads enter the caliper. The wax will get drawn into the threads and the bleeder will come out easy after that.

Of course, you will want to get rid of the wax before reassembling the caliper and using the brakes. Like I said, not sure if it's appropriate but might be better than a new caliper.
'96 Supercab long bed 4X4 - Only mods are for wvo - tank heater, fuel line bundled with coolant lines, and heat exchanger before fuel filter, 80k miles on used veggie oil and counting. 330K total miles so far.
svswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I tried everything ...I had to get new calipers ....
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I had this problem recently, and did a bit of searching on the net. Here's what the general consensus was...

Lots of penetrating oil overnight.

Get a good 6 point socket or box end wrench. Turn until it breaks free or you round over the flats. (I actually used a smaller metric socket and hammered it on, but it still wouldn't come out)

When the flats round over, get a GOOD vice grip. Heat the bleeder until it glows, then pour water on it to quickly cool it. Use the vice grip adjusted as tight as you can get it, and remove. People have said the heat/quench/vice-grip method is successful almost all of the time. Its best to do this in a vice or on the bench.

In the very few cases when heating doesn't work, you can drill out the bleeder. Use a drill bit the same size as the minor diameter of the threads. The hole should self center the drill fairly well. Use the correct tap to chase the threads and clean out the old metal.

If the bleeder is this bad, I would suggest looking at the rest of the caliper, especially if you have to buy the proper drill bit and tap. I went through all this, and then just replaced the caliper because it had a cracked phenolic piston. Less than $40 and everything was rebuilt.

Michael
artificer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
S95

its looking like new calipers, the ends of the pistons are rough and the aluminum covering on them is gone most spots, the one i was working on has a score under the boot that will likely hang up again after new pads wear some. no dice on the bleeder screw it ended up sheering off even after all the recomended treatments..........and to top it off i blew a rear line when i moved the truck in the driveway last night

certainly not worth the retap and rebuild yourself for the price of remans.
CUSTOM RUNNING BOARDS
SD STARTER
STANDENS FULL 3 LEAF FRONT SPRINGS
1990 25th Anniversary 5.0 GT
2012 F150 4X4 supercab longbox HDPKG 5.0
S95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.