Brake Problems Rabs valve question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Problems Rabs valve question

I've got the whole low spongy pedal thing going on, and it's driving me crazy. Back brakes are adjusted properly and I think that the system is bled properly. I did notice that the back brakes kind of drizzled fluid out while bleeding,while the fronts squirted real good. (I know it sounds kinda funny). I was reading the archives and i'm led to suspect the rabs valve. How much does it cost, and what can I check. How do you bleed it. Also, while bleeding the master cylinder, fluid came out slowly from rear line, but gushed from front. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brake Problems Rabs valve question

does anyone have any suggestions I might be able to try. I'm going to attempt to bleed the valve tonight, but I'm pretty much going in blind
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

The RABS valve is not cheap. It bleeds like all the other brake system stuff (it has a bleeded valve on it). Sometimes rubber brake hoses will almost "swell" (collapse???) shut internally, but I wouldn't expect that for our trucks as they aren't that old. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

The booster can cause a spongy feeling too. Mine feel that way when I'm not moving and push hard on the pedal. I can get it almost to the floor. When driving, however, It feels normal, and if I push it more than a quarter way down the tires lock up.
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm going to bleed that damn valve and see what it does. My brakes have not been working well for a long time, maybe thats the problem
Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

For what it is worth....my brakes felt weak and I have about 112k on the truck, so I had the brake fluid changed...it seemed to help the brake feel and power a bit. I have bled my brakes in the past, but I must have missed some air in there somewhere.

I still think that the brakes are a weak link on this truck, but they are better since the fluid change...you might want to give it a try.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good point. Use a pressure bleeder if possible. Keeps air out of the system while bleeding.
JOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to bleed that damn valve and see what it does. My brakes have not been working well for a long time, maybe thats the problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, looks like I am in the same boat again. I had the brake fluid replaced and the brakes felt pretty good for a couple of months and now they are back to feeling like crap again. I cannot lock up my front wheels. If I slam the brakes on I can hear what sounds like hydralic wheeze and the pedal does not go to the floor.

If feels like I have air in the system again. I have checked my vacuum pump and it is fine. I do not lose any brake fluid. I just adjusted the rear brakes...no change.

Did bleeding the RABS value help? Anyone have any ideas on how I could be getting air in the system again?

The truck has over 100k on it and it has never really braked properly from what I remember....

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Howdy,
I had a similiar problem about a month ago. I replaced my RABs as well as my master cylinder. I was experienceing the same problems y'all are describing. The RABS ran about 170.00 +/- friom O'rielly's with a 50.00 core. I don't recall what the master cylinder ran but I don't believe it was more than 100.00 and it had a core charge as well. I replaced these parts because I could not get the spongy feel out of my pedal. Also I went with new parts for two reasons, 1) my truck has 300K on it and 2)we had the money. Neither was hard to replce and the guys at O'reillys were helpful. If you have more questions feel free to IM me. I can dig up my reciepts and give you an exact price on what it cost me. Oh yeah, I also bled all of the old fluid out of the system and replaced with new fluid. Thanks to some local drivers here in Dallas I can atest to the fact that my truck stops quite well now.
Take Care,
Craig
Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello,
I checked with the engine off and the pedal pumps firm and stays high. Can anyone tell me if I can do a test on the master cylinder booster?

The Ford dealer wants $350+ for a rabs valve. Does anyone have a Napa, Checker, or AutoZone part number for it?

The brakes were much better after the fluid was changed, but now they are as bad as ever, maybe even worse than before.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dtrux
Old 08-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had a similiar problem when I first bought my truck. I replaced my RABs and master cylinder and still had the problem. I almost pulled what is left of my hair out looking for the problem and finaly found it. When the brake pads were replaced before I bought the truck, they did not replace the clip on the wheel nut and the nut had backed off.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.