cold weather very hard starts 7.3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold weather very hard starts 7.3

I have a 96 7.3 that barely starts in cold weather. I do a lot of winter camping and skiing; this is becomming a problem. Last time out another powerstroke in the lot started much easier than mine. The owner of the truck came over and recommended PowerService fuel treatment and cetone booster. I ran one bottle; seemed to work fine. I then read the owners manual and it says not to run it.

Any Suggestions?????????
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
You may need to test and replace a couple of your glow plugs. How does your truck start after being plugged in for a couple of hours? Adding an additive won't help in cold starts.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

As bugman said.
Ignore the manual- it was written before lsd & ulsd. Use a lubricating additive EVERY fill up. Lubricant along with cetane booster will make your truck run smoother and more important- last longer.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
I use Power Service religiously , as stated above , disregard what the manual says.As far as the Starting issues you need to plug it in if you can and replace the glow plug relay and perhaps some glow plugs.
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes indeed, PowerService Diesel Kleen is what I am currently running in my truck and it starts up in the cold like nothing (4 oz. per 10 gal approx.) Also, I would suggest using a lower viscosity type oil like 10W30 if not using it already. I am using that as well, until it warms up a bit even though 15W40 is most often used in diesels but will thicken to some extent in colder weather.
viper_09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
i run powerservice all winter long with #2 fuel and dont have any problems and it gets COLD up here in ND. sometimes when its really cold out ill cycle the key twice before i go to start seems to help sometimes
95 f-250 444e e4od 4X4 ex cab long bed 3.55ls White Knight Reverse Lights, AIC, FORD seatcovers, AFE STAGE2 INTAKE, 3" downpipe 4" exhuast, EDGE Evolution 100hp setting, auto meter ultra lite pyro, tranny and boost gauges, .177bb in FPR, amsoil atf in transmission & tcase, amsoil syn gear lube in rear diff, bilstien shocks, fog lights, 1000cca batteries
************future mods*******************
intercooler, smaller turbo housing, window tinting
03 vw jetta tdi stock for now
traxmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJack View Post
I have a 96 7.3 that barely starts in cold weather. I do a lot of winter camping and skiing; this is becomming a problem. Last time out another powerstroke in the lot started much easier than mine. The owner of the truck came over and recommended PowerService fuel treatment and cetone booster. I ran one bottle; seemed to work fine. I then read the owners manual and it says not to run it.

Any Suggestions?????????
PowerService is okay to use but I doubt it would improve your cold start problem.

Cold start problems are usually caused by one of four things:
1.Bad Glow Plug Relay
2.Bad Glow Plugs
3.Weak Batteries
4.Weak Starter
There are a few other things, but these are the most likely causes. First I would test your glow plug relay (GPR). When the relay is energized (WTS light is on and for approximately 2 minutes after that when the engine is cold) measure the voltage on the two big posts on the glow plug relay. They should have the battery voltage across them and very little difference between them. If they have more than .3 volt difference between the big posts, your relay is bad. You can test your glow plugs by measuring the resistance from a good ground (I use the negative battery terminal) to each glow plug. The two outer pins on your four valve cover connectors go to your glow plugs. They all should read less than 2 ohms. If they read more than 2 ohms your plugs are bad and need replacement. If your relay and plugs tested good, have your batteries and starter tested at AutoZone or some other parts store. You need two good batteries and a good starter to start a PSD when it cold out.
There are other causes of a ‘Cold’ start problem, but these are the most likely and I would check them first. If everything above checks out okay…then inspect all your battery and starter motor connections. Make sure they are tight and not corroded. Check your fuel inside the fuel filter canister and see if it looks normal and not dark colored. If it is dark, your injector ‘O’ rings might be bad and this can cause issues with starting also.

Good Luck!

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Your wait to start lite doesn't really stay on long enough. If you try to start right after the light goes out especially if you have weak batt, or a bad glow plug or two it won't start well. Your glow plugs will stay on for up to 90sec or so. When cold out I wait an additional 8-10seconds and she always fires right up.
Good luck
1997 F350 CC4X4 150K superclean truck Beans 6 pos chip! IDM mod, Pyro, Boost and Trans Autometers over mirror. Oil and Water temp in hand built "hump cubby" 4" straight pipe! . Ford V-10 trans cooler, Tymar Intake, 6 leaker intercooler. Swamps 175/146 sticks fed by Adrenaline in front of a BTS. WOP QSSB turbo e-fuel conversion and a custom CNG system. Wifes ride 2011 F350CCSWB mostly stock. My Youtube vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXy-bV6Zks
drwoodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoodchopper View Post
Your wait to start lite doesn't really stay on long enough. If you try to start right after the light goes out especially if you have weak batt, or a bad glow plug or two it won't start well. Your glow plugs will stay on for up to 90sec or so. When cold out I wait an additional 8-10seconds and she always fires right up.
Good luck
That's a really good tip! -- I have been doing it quickly after the light goes out thinking it was at it greatest advantage at that point. Thanks for straightening that out!
Bumper to bumper, Full Synthetic!!! Rotella T 5-40(7.3L) -- Mobil 1 Mercon V(E40D) -- Amsoil Extreme 75-90(Danas 60) -- Detroit Lakes, Minnesota -- "Boating has always been a rich mans hobby". -- 1996 E350 XLT Club Wagon 15 Passenger Van. -- Purchased 10-21-2009 for $700 cash with 620,000 miles on it! -- It's mint and beautiful! -- I love it! -- I am 64 years old and a professional mechanic and truck driver for over 45 years. --I am now a rich man driving a $50,000 prime time Ford that gets 21 MPG(HWY) & 16 MPG(Town).
midwestconnection is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

On my third night I was able to get it plugged in. It sat 28hrs plugged in and still barely started.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

you need batteries. then no more probs
treemover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you very much for taking the time for these posts. I really appreciate the help. I'll follow the advice and let you know.

Thanks again,

GentlemanJack
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
The glow plug and battery posts are correct but if that doesn't do it you may be looking at injector "O" rings. I've been down that road and "O" rings were the final answer. Mine would start down to about 10 degrees but below that nothing. It took many many hours of plug in to get it started. As far as oil goes, use 5W-40 synthetic. It makes a big difference.
2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, AT, 4x4, CC, LB, Line-X, B&W Turn Over Ball, RBW Lil Rocker modified to fit B&W, Milemarker hyd. winch. Elkhorn 9VS slide-in, Nomad 24 ft. fifth/w slide, Century topper, old classic Sooner 18' 4 horse stock trailer. StarFlyte by DynaMax 6.8 V10.
Formerly: 97 F-250 SC LB PSD. 4x4, With lots of Goodies. Twas a good truck.
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Larry
Larry S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.