Delo VS Rotella - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Delo VS Rotella

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to stir up this debate too much, but what is the concensus on Mobil 1 - 5W40 synthetic?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's better than 5w40 rotella but not as good as 5w40 delvac 1. Cheaper and easier to find than delvac 1 though, so it's what I'm putting in my truck after my rotella 5w40 has 20,000 miles on it and I need to replace filters. I'd keep running it, but can't find the rotella anywhere for makeup oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say it's better than Shell 5w-40 synthetic? I'm guessing the ole true synthetic vs faux synthetic deal. The funny thing is,from what I have seen, the faux synthetic seems to be kicking some T&SUV tail in UOA results. Real world results are more important than PAO vs Group.III assumptions.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is,from what I have seen, the faux synthetic seems to be kicking some T&amp;SUV tail in UOA results. Real world results are more important than PAO vs Group.III assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any sources for the real world results? I'd like to see them.

Also, my comment was just based on the API standards that the oil meets. Mobil 1 T&amp;SUV used to be CI-4+, and Rotella 5w40 was only CI-4.

Wierd thing is, I just looked both updated spec sheets on both companies websites, and Mobil 1 T&amp;SUV no longer shows a CI-4+ rating and Rotella 5w40 does have a CI-4+ rating, opposite of the last time I looked at them.

Anyone know any place that carries Rotella 5w40 now that wal-mart no longer has it? I'd rather not change my oil if I can find 2 quarts to top it back up with a filter change.
Joshs1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

What's wrong with running Lucas in our trucks? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Full Pillar Autometer Z-Series Gauges
Stancor GPR
K&N Intake
Gutted EBPV
3-Inch Downpipe
4-Inch Exhaust
Killed The Kitty & Muffler Deleted
6-Inch Turndown Tip Pointed Straight back
More To Come....
94Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with running Lucas in our trucks? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my reply above. It has a link to some VERY good information.
His: '95 F350 CrewCab, 3.55 SRW, 5spd std w/ Royal Purple, LUK SMFW, VDO Pillar gauges, Homemade open air intake, 3" Downpipe W/ 4" cat-back exhaust from Tymar, Tunes by DP Tuner, Baby Seat Mod on rear bench, 198K miles. It gets 21-23 mpg consistently (on the highway) and 17 mpg in town. My remaining planned mod list includes Amsoil & electric radiator fans.

Hers: 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic; 2.2Ecotec 4 cylinder. VERY dissapointed in mpg's.

Company Car (Daily Drive): 2007 Chevy Impala, Jet Black
cmichalik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story short...Lucas destroys the anti0foaming properties of whatever oil it seems to be dumped in. Go look for the demonstration on BITOG.

Hammer

I still have the:

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is,from what I have seen, the faux synthetic seems to be kicking some T&amp;SUV tail in UOA results. Real world results are more important than PAO vs Group.III assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any sources for the real world results? I'd like to see them.

Also, my comment was just based on the API standards that the oil meets. Mobil 1 T&amp;SUV used to be CI-4+, and Rotella 5w40 was only CI-4.

Wierd thing is, I just looked both updated spec sheets on both companies websites, and Mobil 1 T&amp;SUV no longer shows a CI-4+ rating and Rotella 5w40 does have a CI-4+ rating, opposite of the last time I looked at them.

Anyone know any place that carries Rotella 5w40 now that wal-mart no longer has it? I'd rather not change my oil if I can find 2 quarts to top it back up with a filter change.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you locate the UOA list kept by a member on this site, you will find that probably the ultimate best UOA's on that list was performed by Shell Rotella SYNTHETIC 5w-40. Terry Dyson of Dyson anlysis interpretation fame has gone on record at BITOG as stating that Shell 5w-40 synthetic has produced some truly outstanding UOA's. BTW, he also said that of the hundreds, if not thousands of UOA's he has seen, regular Rotella performs just rather average and not outstanding compared with some other HDEO's.

As far as the CI-4plus thing...T&amp;SUV has a lower zinc and phosporous limit which precludes it from meeting that. There are no plans for it to be upgraded either since the lower ZDDP content minimizes the chance of Catalytic converter contamination in Gassers which T&amp;SUV is also marketed towards.

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

as you have found out asking about oil brands and tires will get you the same answers as to who has the best dog! there are alot of good dogs out there...same with oil and tires. as stated before try delo and make your choice.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I knew I would get it stirred up good! hey, why dont I post on the best antifreeze now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Tarheelstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

I don't know if I would run Mobile 1, our car seems to burn more of it than normal oil, don't know if this would also be true for a diesel engine. I have always ran Delo in my truck, tried Rotella... truck ran worse, went back to Delo and it is fine. My dad runs Delo in his 60 series, he said Detroit told him to run that oil in it after his last in frame.
97' F250 CC 4x4 SB PSD 5spd 188,000 4:10's
LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's
Tymar Intake, HPX, 3X4 DP, 4" Street Exhaust
Custom Injectors
17deg HPOP
SD HT Starter
Shimmed FPR
Uniden Pro520XL
MaxRad Antenna
1000cca Everstarts
AIC
Autometer Gauges
Disconnected EBPV
ES bushings
Warn Premium Hubs
Rhino Liner
Custom goose neck
Chrome bed rails & body skirts
Custom wife dents
Stickers that make it faster (no really)

North West Ford Diesels Truck Club

Truck Pics
Pat_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

someone correct me on this if they know....but mentioning wally world and rotella......isnt wal marts oil for diesels made by shell (rotella) and with it being cheaper, wouldnt it be just as good to run it if ya looking to save a few bucks?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:35 AM   #26 (permalink)

Wow...I just changed my oil on Sunday........and added some [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] Lucas.....
Full Pillar Autometer Z-Series Gauges
Stancor GPR
K&N Intake
Gutted EBPV
3-Inch Downpipe
4-Inch Exhaust
Killed The Kitty & Muffler Deleted
6-Inch Turndown Tip Pointed Straight back
More To Come....
94Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
someone correct me on this if they know....but mentioning wally world and rotella......isnt wal marts oil for diesels made by shell (rotella) and with it being cheaper, wouldnt it be just as good to run it if ya looking to save a few bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

WalMarts oil is made by Warren.

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I would get it stirred up good! hey, why dont I post on the best antifreeze now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause Ya had to ask [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] FleetGuard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And it's not the pre-charged, I use the pre-charged coolant filters.
Rick:Red 97 F350 CC DRW 4.10/LS E4OD, 28,000GVW trans cooler w/170F thermostat, remote ATF filter, Mobil 1 ATF, Sonnax valve & Tricum springs, Tymar Hi Performance Open Air Intake System W/Donaldson B085011 filter, IH water pump w/integrated coolant filter, BD downpipe & BD 4" cat back exhaust, "SWAMPED", Tymar HX mod, Tymar/Bill's 4 posn. "flip-chip" (this bad boy rocks), Isspro EV gages in 3 hole PITA Pod, "Harpooned" Fuel tanks, Bilstein shocks, Gutted EBPV, Alpine CDA-9825 head unit, Pioneer TS-A1671R 6 1/2" 220W Front, Pioneer TS-A6880R 6"X8" 240W rear, FOKISD member, Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
BigRed CC Dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

My theory has always been stick with one oil. I do that with all my vehicles. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Stick with what has always been in the vehicle. When I bought mine I could see in the previous owner used Delo and so I continue that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just my .02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #30 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
My theory has always been stick with one oil. I do that with all my vehicles. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Stick with what has always been in the vehicle. When I bought mine I could see in the previous owner used Delo and so I continue that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just my .02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Mine had Rotella run in it for 69,000 miles before I got it, and it's had Rotella run in it since then. They are both good oils, but I'll stick with what was run in it since new. And I can get the Delo free from my work.
Chris
1996 F250 XL 4X4 Automatic, 3:55 gears, Regular cab. Cruise control mod. Big tranny cooler. Autometer Phantom boost, pyro and tranny temp guages. Hypermax downpipe. Homemade open air intake. TS 6 position chip. Sonnax valve and tricumulator springs. Billit torque converter. 215,000 miles so far.

REAL TRUCKS DON'T WEAR BOW TIES !!

My Pictures
WorkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.