Drive Shaft fell out while driving - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drive Shaft fell out while driving

Last night I posted about my drive shaft vibration/universal problems.

Well... tonight after I dropped off an employee, I stopped @ a 4-way, started out, and shaft broke at the rear axle(uni broke)

My question...... should the shop that installed my 4" lift be responsible for fixing the damaged caused since they did not shim front or rear axles to get the proper angle, or even space the carrier bearing.

Its a skyjacker lift, so I am wondering if there was supposed to be shims or spacers with the lift kit, and maybe the shop forgot to install these ever important peices....?

It would be nice to know before I call the shop in the morning and start taling like a sailor.

ps: had to drive about 20miles in 4high to get home. Noticed ALOT of vibrations, even felt it in the floorboard. I never went over 30mph.

Thanks for the help gents

* SOLD * 1997 F-250 PSD Ex-Cab 4x4
280,000 miles
4" lift - 35" BFG AT , Vault keyless entry,
3" Performance Parts DP w/CAT & muff delete,
FPR shim

May God be a Presence in Your Everyday
crfinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Drive Shaft fell out while driving

In my opinion, I think you just had a U-joint go bad and it was going to happen anyhow. I had a 4" Skyjacker lift installed by Four Wheel Parts because my front leaf springs were worn out. I don't believe 4" adds enough angle to the drive shafts to create a problem. I have replaced my rear U-joint twice. The first was before the lift. I forgot to grease the first one and it went south after the lift. It was a lifetime warranty part from O'Rielly.
Anyone else agree with me, or am I totally off base here?
Gerald
'06 F350 XLT 6.0 Crewcab SRW,FX4,6 spd. manual, Arizona Biege Met. BONE stock except for appearance and convienience add-ons: Westin stainless nerf bars, Brown's welding grillguard, Billet grill, Speedliner spray-in, Protecta bedmat,Fumoto valve,Hide-A-Way gooseneck hitch,amber pinch weld lights, Husky floor liners, C-betr mirrors.

'03 6.0 Excursion 4X4 Limited (Wife's ride)stock 'cept for the Ranchhand bolt-on grillguard, 285/75/16's and Fumoto valve.

SOLD! '94F350,PSD,4x4,CC,straight pipe(I HATE CATS!!!),shimmed,ported snorkle,K&N filter,J.D. coolant eye,amzoil-tranny&trans.case,updated PCM.Pro-Comp 315/75/16A/T's,Pioneer cd player,Brite Box,LuK SMFW-LuK 13 clutch,4" Skyjacker lift.

Married so driver carries NO CASH!!!!!
hotcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, I think you just had a U-joint go bad and it was going to happen anyhow. I had a 4" Skyjacker lift installed by Four Wheel Parts because my front leaf springs were worn out. I don't believe 4" adds enough angle to the drive shafts to create a problem. I have replaced my rear U-joint twice. The first was before the lift. I forgot to grease the first one and it went south after the lift. It was a lifetime warranty part from O'Rielly.
Anyone else agree with me, or am I totally off base here?
Gerald

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that some people have vibration issues with the 4" lift and some don't. I am one that doesnt...no shims, no dropped carrier bearing etc... On my truck the 4" of suspension lift isnt enough to throw my u-joints way out of wack. I think you just had a U-Joint that was ready to go IMO.

Good Luck,
Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try 5 u joints in 6 months [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]. I highly doubt it was a simple "u-joint going south" deal.

Thats what I originallt thought, but something isn't adding up. I'll have no other choice but to find the problem this wekend. Some have said it could be the rear yoke assembly going bad.

The part that confuses me Gerald is the fact that all 5 universals that went bad, the caps connecting the shaft were like brand new, but the caps connecting to the rear yoke were shot.

ps: After I changed the u-joint before, the vibration would totally go away, then slowly come back after a couple of weeks, then the u-joint would need replacing again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

280,000 miles
FPR shim

Old 11-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's not fun replacing one, much less five! Besides, they usually go out at least ten miles from home. I got lucky on the last one 'cause I had the window open, stereo off and heard the clunk between shifts. I babied it to the house.

Maybe the best bet would be to check with the place that did the lift. Just don't be to firm and place the blame on them. Inquire what the problem may be. Asking for advice is the sheerest form of flattery!
'06 F350 XLT 6.0 Crewcab SRW,FX4,6 spd. manual, Arizona Biege Met. BONE stock except for appearance and convienience add-ons: Westin stainless nerf bars, Brown's welding grillguard, Billet grill, Speedliner spray-in, Protecta bedmat,Fumoto valve,Hide-A-Way gooseneck hitch,amber pinch weld lights, Husky floor liners, C-betr mirrors.

'03 6.0 Excursion 4X4 Limited (Wife's ride)stock 'cept for the Ranchhand bolt-on grillguard, 285/75/16's and Fumoto valve.

SOLD! '94F350,PSD,4x4,CC,straight pipe(I HATE CATS!!!),shimmed,ported snorkle,K&N filter,J.D. coolant eye,amzoil-tranny&trans.case,updated PCM.Pro-Comp 315/75/16A/T's,Pioneer cd player,Brite Box,LuK SMFW-LuK 13 clutch,4" Skyjacker lift.

Married so driver carries NO CASH!!!!!
hotcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

With a 4" lift their isn't enough angle to mess with the U-Joints. If you have a CV joint on your front drive line you might want to see if the inside of it is binding up. If it is this will cause a vibration. If so you will need to disasemble it and hog it out to give it clearance. If you don't have a CV joint let me know. As far as the rear drive line I would have to agree the U-Joint was bad. Not the fault of the lift shop. Check for up and down (side to side what ever you want to call it) play in the yoke. Both sides. One of the 2 could be going bad. Were you having U-Joint problems before the lift? Was their a vibration? You may have bent the drive line ever so slightly (4 wheeling, etc...). Or you might have lost a weight on the drive line causing it to go out of ballance. Which will eat U-Joints. I don't know how hard your drive line hit the ground. But if you dont have to replace it. I would take it to a drive line shop and have them turn it to check for true and ballance. If you have to replace it, I would spend to money to have a new one made and they should make it to fit with the lift. My preference on U-Joints is Spicer! Well worth the $.

Hope this helps.
Brandon [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
1996 F-350,176,xxx miles, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single Rear Wheel, 4x4 warn manual hubs. 7.3L PSD, Auto Transmission, 4:10 gears. Gutted EBPV, 3" to 4" down pipe, 4" Tymar Exhaust, Bean's Stage II Injectors, DP Tuner 4 Position Chip, Tymar Air Intake, Garrett Intercooler. 3 Gauge Pillar (Boost, Trans. Temp, EGT)
AlarmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just took the rear yoke off the axle. Doesn't look bad, but then again I don't know what to look for. I did notice the yoke had some play in it when I pushed / pulled, and turned it side to side. I know it was loose, just wondering if the vibration caused it, or did it cause the vibration. Could that be my culprit, if the yoke nut was loose?

I also tried to get the bolts out of the carrier bearing. I pulled, pushed, grunted, even farted a bit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I couldn't budge the two bolts holding it on. Is there a trick, or just sticky bolts?

Thanks again for everyones help.

280,000 miles
FPR shim

Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

The nut on the rear axle yoke sets the preload of the pinion bearings and the gear mesh. If the yoke was loose enough to move around I bet You have more problems than You think. Son had that nut come loose on the 8.8" axle in His Mustang GT and He thought it just knocked out the pinion seal. But actually it hammered the S--T out of the pinion shaft bearings, crush sleeve, seal...It was a mess.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would replace the yoke & put in a new u-joint and try it out. I had a loose rear pinion & they replace the yoke & it has been fine since. From what I heard this is a relatively common problem for the yokes to loosen up.

Assuming the yoke / u-joint problem is caused by the lift. If the shop didn't install the lift correctly I would push them to fix it. If they did the install correctly I would talk to the lift manufacturer.

Good Luck
89 f-350, CrewCab, 4x4 (originally 2x4 auto), dana 60, 4-spd T-19 manual, us gear OD, NP208 transfercase, 40-20-40 bench seats front and rear, 97 aluminum rims, homemade front bumper/brushgaurd w/ receiver hitch, working fuel gauges (big improvement), overhead console with temperature readout, New steering box, Polyurethane bushings on front end, 4" exhaust, Explorer keyless entry,

Things in the works: NP205 transfercase, 94 factory turbo, 96 front clip, reverse shackle, fresh paint, coolant filter,

Currently Ripped apart.
junk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you have a good problem their. If you have a local guy that does rear end work you might want to run it by him. Im not that good to tell you what to do on this one with out seeing it for myself.
Sorry,
Brandon
1996 F-350,176,xxx miles, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single Rear Wheel, 4x4 warn manual hubs. 7.3L PSD, Auto Transmission, 4:10 gears. Gutted EBPV, 3" to 4" down pipe, 4" Tymar Exhaust, Bean's Stage II Injectors, DP Tuner 4 Position Chip, Tymar Air Intake, Garrett Intercooler. 3 Gauge Pillar (Boost, Trans. Temp, EGT)
Old 11-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

I took the truck to a local shop that specializes in drive shaft etc. My rear yoke is bad, my carrier bearing is bad, the splines on the back of my front shaft are bad, and they said my drive shaft is 2" to short.

When I took the yoke off last night, the (compression sleeve?) looked fine. It wasn't dinged up at all.

I'm still not sure as to what caused what, but the shop that did the lift wants to look at the truck after I get it up and running again. I think they will swallow some cost if they think they did anything wrong. Seem like good people.

A side note: Got a cost on the rear yoke (ford only part they say) from two different ford dealerships today. Ocala Ford says $148.00 for rear yoke, and will be in on Thursday. Ocala Linc., Merc dealer says $73.00 and will be in on Monday.

Seems odd @ the price difference since it is a standard ford made only part.

All in all, after shelling out about $400.00 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll be back on the road again.
Thanks to Brandon and everyone else taking the time to help me. Let me know when you get ready for a Florida vacation, beer's on me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

280,000 miles
FPR shim

Old 11-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey no problem. I like Guinness!
If their is that much of a difference in price I would make sure they are getting the right part. Did you have them look it up by the V.I.N. number? Some of those parts counter people arent too bright sometimes. Sounds like It's gonna work out for you. Hope the lift shop takes up some of the cost. Kill them with kindness and see what they are willing to do.
Brandon [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Sonny, I would not be to quick to blame the shop. Four inch lift should not cause any u-joint problems. I ran a four wheel drive shop for quite a few years and I heard all the blame games. I see that you found the yoke was loose, that would cause the vibration and ujoint failure. I would take it back to the shop that did the lift but go in with an open mind. I believe they will work with you but keep in mind that the lift probably did not cause the failure. I find it hard to believe that the shaft is two inches short. Not saying it is impossible but I would think it would have pulled apart before now. As far as shimming the axles, you want the front and rear joint to be the same angle. Normally this means that you would not have to shim the axle. A lot of places put in shims so the driveshaft is not to short, this creates a problem with the angles since the front ujoint will be on more of an angle than the rear. If your shaft is to short try shimming the center support down about an inch, use bar stock not washers. I think the yoke will solve your problems. Good Luck.
Rick
Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
jna

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the yoke / u-joint problem is caused by the lift. If the shop didn't install the lift correctly I would push them to fix it. If they did the install correctly I would talk to the lift manufacturer

[/ QUOTE ]

your not going to find any company that installs or sells or manufacturers lift kits warrantee driveline problems. its one thing you gotta understand when you start going with lifts...A LOT of problems come with. If the companies did, then they would have to start fixing steering problems any number of vibration issues..etc. Only a few shops have driveline services that will address these issues after installing lifts. If this is what kind of shop did your lift, and you paid for this service, then you have an issue. If you paid them to install the lift only, they shouldnt have touched the driveline, unless you told them too. If they did mess with it, then I would take it up with them.

Custom Air Ride
BDP Dominator 66
Stetcher Stealth Pump
Total Diesel Chip
150cc Swamp Babies
BDP fuel system
many[color:"blue"] TYMAR mods [/color]
TRUCK
BTS
Dana 60

2008 F-450 4x4
jna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I took the truck to a local shop that specializes in drive shaft etc. My rear yoke is bad, my carrier bearing is bad, the splines on the back of my front shaft are bad, and they said my drive shaft is 2" to short.

When I took the yoke off last night, the (compression sleeve?) looked fine. It wasn't dinged up at all.

I'm still not sure as to what caused what, but the shop that did the lift wants to look at the truck after I get it up and running again. I think they will swallow some cost if they think they did anything wrong. Seem like good people.

A side note: Got a cost on the rear yoke (ford only part they say) from two different ford dealerships today. Ocala Ford says $148.00 for rear yoke, and will be in on Thursday. Ocala Linc., Merc dealer says $73.00 and will be in on Monday.

Seems odd @ the price difference since it is a standard ford made only part.

All in all, after shelling out about $400.00 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll be back on the road again.
Thanks to Brandon and everyone else taking the time to help me. Let me know when you get ready for a Florida vacation, beer's on me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yoke is aviaable aftermarket through a driveline shop. i have bought some. about $60
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.